Australian Open 2020: Patience the key for rejuvenated Muguruza as semi-final awaits

By Sports Desk January 29, 2020

Garbine Muguruza emphasised the importance of patience after the two-time grand slam champion reached the Australian Open semi-finals on Wednesday.

After struggling for form following her 2017 Wimbledon triumph, former world number one Muguruza has looked like a player reborn in Melbourne since reuniting with former coach Conchita Martinez.

Muguruza – who split from Martinez two years ago – advanced to her first semi-final since the 2018 French Open after outlasting 30th seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 7-5 6-3 on Rod Laver Arena midweek.

Unseeded for the first time at a slam since 2014, Muguruza was asked if her comeback was like returning from a coma and the 26-year-old Spanish star replied: "I think a 'coma' is a pretty strong comment. I would say I think those years were less successful if you compare them to my previous years.  

"That's how I see it. I don't see it at all as a coma. I just think you struggle as a player, and there are moments where things don't go your way. You just have to be patient and go through the rough moments, just hang in there and it will come back again."

Muguruza, who next meets 2018 runner-up Simona Halep on Thursday for a place in the women's decider, added: "It is always special to get deep in a grand slam. Very excited to be playing tomorrow [Thursday] again. It's a very long tournament. You have very tough opponents, not being seeded as well.

"I'm just happy that I'm going through every match. We'll have to see it more."

Quizzed on the pressures of winning a slam and continuing to challenge, Muguruza told reporters: "I think people forget how hard it is, and expect always the top players to deal with that. It is very hard. 

"I think once you have done it, it definitely gives you a certain confidence that you can handle two weeks' competition, grand slam, playing many matches. Not a lot of people can say that they have done it.

"In my case, I know it's where I feel the most motivated. I just don't think too much about it. I'm just happy to be here, excited to see how far I can go."

Related items

  • Del Potro admits to struggles in return bid, eyes Olympics Del Potro admits to struggles in return bid, eyes Olympics

    Juan Martin del Potro admitted he was struggling in his bid to return from knee surgery as he eyes next year's Olympics.

    Del Potro, 32, last played competitively 17 months ago and underwent a third right knee surgery in August.

    The 2009 US Open champion is still hoping to return, but admitted it had been challenging.

    "I am having a hard time coming back. I still stand by the desire that I have to continue playing," Del Potro told ESPN on Friday.

    "The reality is that it is difficult. I'm going to keep fighting as long as I feel like I want to continue."

    He added: "Due to the pandemic, the Olympics Games are next year and I'm excited to be there.

    "If I have to close my career, I think it would be to give myself an award to represent my country."

    A bronze medallist in men's singles at the 2012 Olympics, Del Potro won silver in Rio four years later, and said he hoped to retire on the court.

    The Argentinian also took time to remember the great Diego Maradona, who died on Wednesday.

    Del Potro recalled his meetings with Maradona during the 2016 Davis Cup final, which he helped Argentina win against Croatia in Zagreb.

    "In that Davis Cup final, every night, on my own without anyone knowing, I saw him 10, 15 minutes before going to sleep," he said.

    "He did it in private so that he doesn't disarm the team's structure."

    Del Potro added: "He sent me a very nice message after winning and I gave him my racquet."

  • Australian Open likely to be delayed, but only by a week or two Australian Open likely to be delayed, but only by a week or two

    The 2021 Australian Open is likely to be pushed back, but only for a week or two.

    Uncertainty has surrounded the scheduled first grand slam of next year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Reports had suggested the Australian Open could start in March or April, instead of its scheduled January 18 beginning.

    But Victorian minister for tourism, sport and major events Martin Pakula said on Wednesday a delay of a week or two was looking likely.

    "I think that's most likely, but it's not the only option," he told reporters, via the ABC.

    This year's Wimbledon was cancelled and the US Open was played behind closed doors, while the French Open was delayed before allowing a limited number of spectators.

    Victoria on Wednesday recorded its 26th consecutive day without a new coronavirus case.

    Pakula confirmed players would be tested and contained in a bubble during the Australian Open.

    "It's fair to say that Tennis Australia and the playing group have been encouraged to keep the total number of people coming in, not necessarily to a minimum, but to a lower number than would otherwise be the case," he said.

    "People need to bear in mind that there will be an extremely rigorous testing regime that will apply to the tennis players both before they leave the port that they're coming from and when they arrive, and I would imagine consistently during the time that they're in their bubble."

  • Russia president Putin congratulates mastery of ATP Finals champ Medvedev Russia president Putin congratulates mastery of ATP Finals champ Medvedev

    Daniil Medvedev's triumph at the ATP Finals has earned public acclaim from Russia president Vladimir Putin, who said he "demonstrated great preparation, mastery and truly fighting spirit".

    World number four Medvedev won a barnstorming final against Dominic Thiem in the last showpiece to be held at London's O2 Arena before the season-ending tournament moves to Turin in 2021.

    Medvedev came from a set down to defeat the US Open champion - who had beaten him en route to glory at Flushing Meadows - to secure the biggest title of his career.

    In doing so, Medvedev became the second Russian to win the event after Nikolay Davydenko in 2009.

    Putin posted a telegram on the Kremlin's official website on Tuesday, part of which was quoted by Russian news agency TASS, to congratulate Medvedev.

    "You went through the whole ATP Finals tournament brilliantly and, in one breath, you demonstrated great preparation, mastery and truly fighting spirit in beautiful and tense matches," the telegram read. 

    "Your victory continues great traditions of the Russian tennis school."

    Medvedev and Thiem each scored wins over both Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic to reach Sunday's showpiece.

    Speaking on Monday, Medvedev said it will be difficult for any of the chasing pack to become world number one while ever those two greats are still playing.

    "It's still a long way to get to the top of the line [in the ATP rankings]," Medvedev told TASS.

    "You have to complete the season better than all the rest to become the world's number one. Sometimes 8,000 points can be sufficient but on other occasions 12,000 points are not enough. 

    "It all depends on me; the more tournaments that I’ll have like in Paris and London, the more chances I’ll get to top of the ATP rankings."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.