Australian Open to go 'ahead as scheduled' amid air quality concerns

By Sports Desk January 07, 2020

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley insisted the year's first grand slam would go ahead "as scheduled", but the air quality in Melbourne will be monitored.

Bushfires have ravaged Australia in recent months, leading to a smoky haze covering Victoria's capital on certain days.

But Tiley expects the year's opening major to go ahead as planned, beginning on January 20, while organisers keep an eye on air quality.

"Everything is going ahead as scheduled," he told a news conference on Wednesday.

"We will continue to work closely with not only the Bureau of Meteorology but also medical experts to ensure what we've always said – that the safety of the players, our fans and our staff are of the utmost importance and our primary objective each time.

"The one thing I will remind everyone is we do have three stadium roofs where we have a controlled environment so play will always continue.

"It will come under our extreme heat policy approach and what will be new is we'll also have some real-time monitoring on-site.

"You currently can get air quality monitoring just generally over a 24-hour period just by going to a website, but we'll be more detailed with it and bring it on site."

Tennis stars have rallied to raise funds for those impacted by the bushfires, while an exhibition event will be held in Melbourne on January 15.

Tiley revealed Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams were among those who had agreed to play at the event.

"Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal, Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, Caroline Wozniacki, Nick Kyrgios, Stefanos Tsitsipas have all agreed to participate on Wednesday night," he said.

"We will be, over the course of the coming days, announcing additional players. We're going to try and get more out onto the court and for about two and a half hours we're going to be showcasing the game but also coming together as a community to play our part in the relief effort."

Related items

  • Rublev set for career-high ranking after downing Coric in St Petersburg Rublev set for career-high ranking after downing Coric in St Petersburg

    Andrey Rublev earned an early birthday present as a 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 triumph over Borna Coric at the St Petersburg Open final ensured he will move to a career-high ranking on Monday.

    The Russian earned a fourth ATP title of a fine 2020 season on home court and will be ranked eighth in the world when the new standings are released.

    That will come just a day before Rublev, who climbed into the qualification spots for the ATP Finals with his victory against Denis Shapovalov in the semi-finals, turns 23.

    It was certainly a hard-fought win for Rublev, now a six-time ATP singles champion, given he was 5-2 down in a first-set tie-breaker.

    But five straight points caught Coric cold and the Croatian surrendered the only break of the match in game five of the second set to leave Rublev celebrating.

  • Struggling Murray pulls out of Cologne event Struggling Murray pulls out of Cologne event

    Andy Murray has withdrawn from the upcoming ATP tournament in Cologne due to injury.

    The former world number one was listed on the official draw as being absent due to a hip problem.

    That is reported to be an inflammation of a psoas muscle, which Murray did not want to aggravate.

    Cologne is staging back-to-back tournaments on the men's tour, with Alexander Zverev picking up the title from the first of those on Sunday.

    Murray had been due to play the Cologne Championships, which starts on Monday, and had been drawn to play Serbian world number 166 Danilo Petrovic in round one.

    On paper, that represented a more favourable draw than his recent first-round tussles, which have seen him lose early in the French Open to Stan Wawrinka and then at the Cologne Open to Fernando Verdasco.

    Murray, however, will not compete and will hope to recover full fitness in time to play the Paris Masters, where the main draw begins on November 2.

  • Zverev too strong as Auger-Aliassime's rotten finals record goes on Zverev too strong as Auger-Aliassime's rotten finals record goes on

    Alexander Zverev won his first title of the year with a comprehensive victory over Felix Auger-Aliassime at the Cologne Indoors.

    Zverev, beaten by Dominic Thiem in his first grand slam final at the US Open last month, was knocked out of the French Open in disappointing fashion in the fourth round by Jannik Sinner.

    The world number seven has responded impressively on home soil this week, dropping just one set en route to Sunday's final.

    He followed up with an impressive performance against Auger-Aliassime, winning 6-3 6-3 in just under 80 minutes.

    Auger-Aliassime, who is 0-3 against Zverev, has now lost each of his six Tour finals without winning a set.

    Zverev, who won 80 per cent of points behind his first serve, assumed control after breaking the Canadian in the opening game and again to lead 5-2.

    He handed a break back with consecutive double-faults but secured the first set in the next game and moved 4-2 up in the second to break Auger-Aliassime's resistance.

    A heavy forehand from his 20-year-old opponent handed Zverev victory on his first match point, as he secured a 12th Tour title.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.