Murray to miss Australian Open after suffering injury setback

By Sports Desk December 28, 2019

Andy Murray will miss the Australian Open as a precautionary measure after suffering an injury setback.

Murray feared his career may be over when he withdrew from the first grand slam of 2019 in Melbourne due to a long-term hip injury.

The three-time grand slam champion underwent career-saving hip resurfacing surgery last January and made his comeback only five months later.

Murray won the European Open in October and was expected to play in his first major singles tournament for a year next month, but is taking no chances.

"I've worked so hard to get myself into a situation where I can play at the top level and I’m gutted I’m not going to be able to play in Australia in January," said the 32-year-old, who will also miss the ATP Cup.

"After the AO this year, when I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to play again, I was excited about coming back to Australia and giving my best, and that makes this even more disappointing for me.

"Unfortunately I've had a setback recently and as a precaution, need to work through that before I get back on court competing."

Murray last month revealed he opted not to take any risks with a "bit of an issue" after only playing once for Great Britain in their run to the Davis Cup semi-finals.

Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley said: "I know how excited Andy was about coming back to compete in Australia in January, and how disappointed he is not to make it for 2020,

"Andy's last match at the Australian Open was a five-set roller coaster [against Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round this year] that none of us who witnessed it will ever forget. His determination and iron will was on display for all to see, and it's that fighting spirit that has driven him to come back from a potentially career-ending injury to achieve the results he has this year.

"Although we will miss him in January, we wish him all the very best for his recovery and look forward to seeing him back on court very soon."

Related items

  • Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing Inter confirm permanent Sanchez signing

    Inter have confirmed the signing of Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez on a permanent deal.

    Sanchez has put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Serie A club following a successful season-long loan with Antonio Conte's side.

    The 31-year-old Chile international joined United from Premier League rivals Arsenal in 2018, but failed to show what he is capable of at Old Trafford.

    Sanchez is reported to have joined Inter on a free transfer after United ripped up his contract, which was said to earn him an astonishing £560,000-a-week.

    He scored four goals in 29 appearances for the Nerazzurri following his switch to San Siro last August.

    Sanchez found the back of the net only five times in 45 matches for the Red Devils after arriving at the club in January 2018 in a deal that saw Henrikh Mkhitaryan move to Arsenal.

    United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed that Sanchez would be heading back to Inter following a 2-1 Europa League last-16 second leg victory over LASK on Wednesday.

    "I can confirm that he's agreed and we've agreed. Alexis enjoyed his time there," he said. 

    "They've liked him, so of course that's a good move for him. Wish him all the best. He's a top player that we want to see play his best football.

    "For whatever reason, we didn't see the best of Alexis, but he's a top professional and we just wish him all the best."

  • Cocciaretto defeats Vekic for biggest career win in Palermo Cocciaretto defeats Vekic for biggest career win in Palermo

    Elisabetta Cocciaretto scored the biggest win of her young career by defeating Donna Vekic to reach a maiden WTA quarter-final at the Palermo Ladies Open.

    The 19-year-old, the youngest player in the draw, was a 6-2 6-4 victor over the Croatian sixth seed in Thursday's round-of-16 match.

    It marks the first time Cocciaretto has defeated a top-30 player in her career.

    There was more Italian joy as Sara Errani, a two-time champion, made it to the last eight in Palermo for the eighth time after coming back to defeat Kristyna Pliskova 3-6 6-4 6-3.

    Home favourite Errani lost the first 13 points of the match but roared back for a 180th career win on clay – more than any other active player – and will next face Fiona Ferro, who defeated eighth seed Ekaterina Alexandrova 7-5 6-2.

    Rounding out the action, Aliaksandra Sasnovich hammered Jasmine Paolini 6-0 6-2.

  • Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal

    Alexis Sanchez will officially become an Inter player on a permanent basis on Thursday, according to the club's chief executive Giuseppe Marotta.

    Sanchez has spent 2019-20 on loan at Inter from Manchester United, scoring four goals and providing eight assists across 22 Serie A appearances as Antonio Conte's side finished second behind Juventus.

    Reports emerged this week suggesting United would terminate the Chilean's contract at Old Trafford, which was believed to be worth £500,000 per week.

    These claims were confirmed on Wednesday, with Marotta revealing the 31-year-old had agreed a three-year deal with Inter.

    "Unofficially - we'll make it official tomorrow morning - the player is entirely owned by Inter," he told Sky Italia ahead of Inter's Europa League clash with Getafe in Germany.

    "We have a contract with him for three seasons. We believe in him, that he can be a strong part of this squad, and are happy to have concluded this deal."

    Sanchez was named on the bench against Getafe for what had been set to be the final match of his loan spell.

    The forward has enjoyed a resurgence in Italy following a desperate 18-month stint at Old Trafford.

    After staring for Arsenal, January 2018 signing Sanchez failed to impress for United and scored just five goals in all competitions.

    News of Sanchez's signing comes after head coach Conte hit out at Inter's hierarchy for not protecting his squad enough this season.

    However, Marotta revealed Inter's chiefs have held discussions with Conte amid doubts over his future.

    "We are all concentrated on this evening, which is an important match," he added. "Conte gave a very clear statement yesterday and we refer you to that.

    "Anyone in the football world knows that these dynamics exist and we have to live with this way of doing things. This is an important evening for the future of Inter.

    "The owners spoke to Conte yesterday and we all want the same thing, which is to achieve great objectives and make the fans happy."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.