US Open 2019: Nadal cruises past Chung to end comfortable week

By Sports Desk August 31, 2019

Rafael Nadal cruised into the fourth round of the US Open with a routine 6-3 6-4 6-2 victory over Hyeon Chung at Flushing Meadows on Saturday.

Nadal was given the benefit of a walkover in the second round after the withdrawal of Thanasi Kokkinakis and, in truth, he was never really tested by Chung on Arthur Ashe.

The three-time champion was in complete control throughout, his win setting up a last-16 clash with Marin Cilic or John Isner.

Chung had come from two sets down to beat Nadal's compatriot Fernando Verdasco in the previous round, but there were never any signs of such heroics being repeated once Nadal forged ahead.

The South Korean qualifier produced only flashes of the brilliance that saw him reach the Australian Open semi-finals in 2018, and tougher tests are sure to await Nadal as he bids to regain the trophy he last won in 2017.

Nadal struck the opening blow in the sixth game of the match as Chung sent a cross-court backhand wide. 

Chung actually hit five aces to Nadal's four, but it was one off the Spaniard's racquet that wrapped up the first set.

A scintillating forehand down the line provided Nadal with what proved the decisive break in the second set and he did not have to wait long to make inroads in the third.

The third game of the set saw Chung drag a forehand off-target as he faded badly against the physical challenge presented by Nadal, the 23-year-old having only returned from injury at the end of July.

Asked about the potential benefit of a comfortable opening week in which he has only had to play two matches, Nadal told ESPN: "You never know, last year I had some tough matches and then in the semi-finals I had to retire [against Juan Martin Del Potro].

"You never know what's better. I have a tough opponent, John Isner or Marin Cilic [in the fourth round], I need to be ready for this, I can't think further than this."

Related items

  • Baghdatis joins Svitolina's coaching team Baghdatis joins Svitolina's coaching team

    World number six Elina Svitolina has added Marcos Baghdatis to her coaching team.

    Baghdatis, a winner of four ATP Tour singles titles, retired at Wimbledon in July in order to spend more time with his family.

    The 34-year-old Greek on Wednesday revealed he will assist Andrew Bettles in coaching WTA Finals runner-up Svitolina.

    "I am so glad to announce the next chapter of my life and look forward to coaching a great athlete and super tennis player, No.6 ranked WTA player Elina Svitolina, working alongside Andy Bettles!" he posted on Instagram.

    "I want to thank Elina for putting her trust in me. Let's do this! Bring on 2020."

    Former world number three Svitolina failed to win a title this year, but broke new ground at grand slams by reaching the semi-final stage at Wimbledon and the US Open.

    Ashleigh Barty denied the 25-year-old from Ukraine back-to-back WTA Finals titles in Shenzhen last month.

  • Andreescu aiming for world number one & Olympic debut in 2020 Andreescu aiming for world number one & Olympic debut in 2020

    Bianca Andreescu has set her sights on becoming world number one and representing Canada at the Olympic Games in 2020.

    Andreescu enjoyed a breakthrough 2019 in which she lost only seven of her 55 matches and completed an incredible run at the US Open, stunning Serena Williams in the final with a performance belying her tender years.

    The 19-year-old, who retired from the WTA Finals because of a knee injury, collected the Lou Marsh Trophy this week as she was named Canada's athlete of the year.

    Speaking at a media conference after being presented with the award, Andreescu told a media conference: "I don't know how 2020 can get better than 2019.

    "If I could choose something it would be to accomplish my ultimate goal, which is to become number one in the world and hopefully win another grand slam and stay healthy as much as possible."

    On her hopes of competing for her country in Tokyo, Andreescu told reporters: "I think there's a very good chance for me to be able to participate.

    "I've watched the Olympics ever since I could remember, ever since I was a little girl so, if I do get that opportunity, it's going to be the best because I spoke to many athletes that were in the Olympics before and they've told me that it was the best experience of their life so if I get there it's going to be fun."

    The next major event on the horizon for Andreescu is the Australian Open, for which she is the second favourite behind Williams.

    "Every tournament I go into I want to win it," she said of her approach for the first grand slam of 2020.

    "I'm just going to do the best I can to prepare, hopefully my knee's good and hopefully I can bring the trophy home."

  • Retiring Wozniacki to face Serena in May exhibition Retiring Wozniacki to face Serena in May exhibition

    Caroline Wozniacki will return to the court after her retirement to play in an exhibition match against Serena Williams.

    Denmark's Wozniacki, 29, has announced she will be bringing her career to an end after the Australian Open, which begins next month.

    But tickets have also gone on sale for a return to the court in a match being billed as 'The Final One' against close friend and 23-time grand slam champion Williams at the Royal Arena in Copenhagen on May 18.

    Wozniacki, an Australian Open champion in 2018, said she had "accomplished everything I could ever dream of on the court" in her retirement announcement last Friday.

    The decision, which she insisted was not related to being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, came at the end of a difficult campaign where she fell to a year-end position of 37 in the WTA world rankings.

    Williams and Wozniacki have met 11 times previously, with the American winning on 10 occasions, though they have not played since the WTA Finals in 2014.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.