ATP

Tomic to face De Minaur in Atlanta quarter-finals

By Sports Desk July 25, 2019

Bernard Tomic reached his second quarter-final of the year, while Alex de Minaur and Taylor Fritz are also into the last eight at the Atlanta Open.

Tomic, who has struggled in 2019, overcame fellow Australian Matthew Ebden 6-4 7-6 (7-3) at the ATP 250 event on Thursday.

A former top-20 player, Tomic is set to return to the top 100 after his run in Georgia.

He served 12 aces against Ebden, who struggled with his serve, finishing with 10 double faults.

Tomic will meet De Minaur in an all-Australian quarter-final after the third seed brushed past Bradley Klahn 6-4 6-4.

Fritz, the second seed, was too good for qualifier Kevin King 6-2 6-3.

The American will meet Miomir Kecmanovic, who upset eighth seed Ugo Humbert 6-2 6-2.

Related items

  • I'm not coming back! - Li Na not planning to follow Clijsters I'm not coming back! - Li Na not planning to follow Clijsters

    Li Na does not appear open to the idea of a return to the WTA Tour after amusingly shutting down a question about Kim Clijsters at the Wuhan Open.

    Clijsters announced plans for a stunning comeback this month, aiming to play on the Tour in 2020 having retired after the 2012 US Open.

    The Belgian is 36 years old but Li, one year her senior, does not intend to follow suit.

    Appearing at the Wuhan Open to celebrate her induction into the Tennis Hall of Fame, Li interrupted one question after just two words: "Kim Clijsters..."

    "I'm not coming back," the two-time major champion interjected to some amusement.

    "I wish her the best. But as for me, I'm telling you for sure, 100 per cent, I'm staying home."

    Li said of her Hall of Fame induction: "My name is placed alongside so many legends. That is something, the best achievement in my tennis career.

    "Being able to do this is everything to me. Such sense of excitement is no less than achieving the grand slam title."

  • Nadal misses Laver Cup doubles with Federer due to 'inflamed hand' Nadal misses Laver Cup doubles with Federer due to 'inflamed hand'

    Rafael Nadal was forced to pull out of his singles and doubles matches on day three of the Laver Cup with an "inflamed hand".

    The French Open and US Open champion had been set to feature in a high-profile doubles pairing with Roger Federer against John Isner and Jack Sock in the opening match of Sunday's play.

    Nadal was also set to take on Nick Kyrgios in singles later in the day, having been beaten by the Australian in a doubles contest late on Saturday.

    But that match the previous day, in which Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas lost to Kyrgios and Sock, meant the Spaniard was not able to recover in time.

    He complained of inflammation to his left hand on Sunday morning - an issue he says he has dealt with for "a couple of years" - and Tsitsipas was called in to take his place alongside Federer.

    Thiem will play Kyrgios, meanwhile, with Team Europe aiming to wrap up a third straight title, carrying a narrow 7-5 lead into the final day.

    Nadal said: "I am sad, of course. I was excited to play the doubles with Roger obviously - that's the thing that makes me more sad because, in singles, I know Dominic is going to be there and he's going to do unbelievably.

    "Since a couple of years ago, I've had this bad feeling on the hand. It's an inflamation of the hand - not the wrist.

    "Yesterday, I played and sometimes the next day you are a little bit better, sometimes you are a little bit worse. Today, I think it's a little bit more inflamed.

    "This morning, I woke up with that feeling that something is inflamed on the hand and I texted Roger and Thomas [Enqvist, vice-captain] and Bjorn [Borg, captain].

    "We needed to find a solution because I don't think I'm the right one to play today and we have a great team without me being 100 per cent. All the guys are unbelievable."

    He added: "Now, let's support and hopefully we can achieve this."

  • Osaka hails 'special' hometown victory after cruising to Pan Pacific Open title Osaka hails 'special' hometown victory after cruising to Pan Pacific Open title

    Naomi Osaka cruised past Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-2 6-3 to claim her maiden Pan Pacific Open title, a homecoming victory she hailed as "special".

    World number four Osaka had previously finished as runner up in the tournament in 2016 and 2018, when the WTA event was held in Tokyo.

    However, a switch to the 21-year-old's birthplace Osaka did the trick, with the top seed bouncing back from the disappointment of her round of 16 exit in the US Open in style.

    Having not won a trophy since securing her second successive grand slam title at the Australian Open in January, Osaka powered past the world number 41 in straight sets on Sunday.

    "It's really special for me to win here," Osaka, who won 100 per cent of her first service points, said.

    "This is the city where I was born and honestly I think that gave me a lot of power to play constantly match after match. I just want to say thank you to everyone.

    "I just love playing here, so I'll be here next year, though it's probably going to be in Tokyo."

    Osaka made her intentions of sealing a swift victory clear from the off, racing into a 2-0 lead as Pavlyuchenkova failed to cope with the former world number one's powerful serves.

    A superb lob ended a frenetic rally to make it 5-2 - a Pavlyuchenkova error then handing Osaka the set in the next game.

    Another early break followed for Osaka in set two and, despite Pavlyuchenkova saving three break points before holding off two match points, victory was ensured when the Russian clipped into the net.

    Osaka's triumph is her first on Japanese soil, while she became the first home player to win the Pan Pacific Open since Kimiko Date in 1995.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.