WTA

Kvitova a doubt for Wimbledon as arm injury forces Birmingham withdrawal

By Sports Desk June 12, 2019

Petra Kvitova could face a race against time to be fit for Wimbledon after withdrawing from the Birmingham Classic with an injury.

Two-time Wimbledon champion Kvitova, the world number five, pulled out of her first-round French Open match in May due to an arm problem.

Kvitova won the 2017 Birmingham tournament - her first triumph since returning to tennis after she was stabbed by an intruder in her home in December 2016 - and prevailed again in last year's final with Magdalena Rybarikova.

However, she will not be able to defend her title for a third successive season.

"Unfortunately Birmingham is too soon," Kvitova posted on her official Twitter account.

"I'm working really hard to get back as soon as possible and keeping everything crossed for Wimbledon."

"I have the best memories of Birmingham," the 29-year-old said in a video tweeted by the LTA.

"It was the first place that I won a title after I came back from my injury. I always have the best time there and I hope next year I will see you on the beautiful grass courts."

While Kvitova will not take part, world number three Karolina Pliskova, along with US open champion Naomi Osaka and French Open winner Ashleigh Barty will all play in the event, which begins on 15 June and serves as a warm-up for Wimbledon, which starts on July 1.

Related items

  • Caruso claims Coric scalp in Umag, Delbonis downs Cuevas Caruso claims Coric scalp in Umag, Delbonis downs Cuevas

    Salvatore Caruso caused an upset by beating Borna Coric to move into the quarter-finals of the Croatia Open Umag, while Federico Delbonis shocked Pablo Cuevas in Bastad.

    Italian Caruso overcame the second seed 6-2 3-6 6-1 to seal his spot in the last eight.

    The qualifier will take on Facundo Bagnis after breaking five times and fending off as many break points to see off Coric, who was among the leading contenders to take the title in his homeland.

    Fourth seed Dusan Lajovic got the better of Andrey Rublev 6-4 6-3, while Bagnis knocked out Nino Serdarusic 6-3 6-3. Aljaz Bedene also advanced at the expense of Jannik Sinner.

    Cuevas was sent packing in the round of 16 at the Swedish Open, going down 6-4 6-4 in a South American battle with Delbonis.

    Frenchman Richard Gasquet was made to work for a 4-6 6-3 6-4 victory over Dennis Novak and Juan Ignacio Londero fought back to oust Hugo Dellien 4-6 7-5 6-3.

    Joao Sousa also came from a set down to see off Swede Elias Ymer 4-6 6-4 6-2.

    At Newport, rain halted Thursday's play, with Marcel Granollers taking the first set over Mischa Zverev 6-3 in the only singles quarter-final to get started at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships.

  • Tig making up for lost time in Bucharest Tig making up for lost time in Bucharest

    Patricia Maria Tig says she is determined to make up for lost time after dethroning Anastasija Sevastova to reach the Bucharest Open quarter-finals on home soil.

    Tig is making her first WTA main-draw appearance since 2017 after suffering from injuries and then giving birth to a daughter in the past year.

    The 24-year-old qualifier is making her mark in her homeland and took out top seed Sevastova 6-2 7-5 on Thursday, setting up a last-eight encounter with Kristyna Pliskova.

    "I missed tennis and now, I'm trying to enjoy every moment of it. I hope more mothers will play, because women need to see that this is not something impossible to do," said Tig.

    "I don't feel inferior to any player. I know that if I go on court and give my best, I can win the match too."

    Martina Di Giuseppe advanced when Veronika Kudermetova – who had taken the first set 6-2 and was trailing 5-4 in the second – retired, while Aliona Bolsova ended her contest with Barbora Krejcikova at 6-0 3-2 down due to an ankle injury. 

    Fourth seed Mihaela Buzarnescu bowed out of the Ladies Open Lausanne with a 1-6 7-6 (7-2) 7-5 defeat at the hands of Fiona Ferro.

    Samantha Stosur saw off Allie Kiick 6-3 7-5, while Jil Teichmann and Tamara Korpatsch also advanced to the quarter-finals.

  • Top seed Isner reaches Newport quarters, Mannarino and Thompson depart Top seed Isner reaches Newport quarters, Mannarino and Thompson depart

    John Isner started his pursuit of a fourth Hall of Fame Tennis Championships title with a three-set win over Kamil Majchrzak in the last 16.

    Top seed Isner reached the quarter-finals after outlasting his Polish opponent 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 on the grass at Newport on Wednesday.

    Winner of the ATP 250 tournament in 2011, 2012 and 2017, Isner hit 25 aces and saved all five break points he faced.

    "It wasn't easy, I played a long match, two hours and eight minutes. The conditions were brutal. It's windy and like 90 per cent humidity, so it was tough conditions out there," Isner said. "But I'm happy to claw through there because it wasn't pretty at times, that's for sure."

    Next up for Isner is Matthew Ebden in a rematch of the 2017 final after the Australian defeated Denis Kudla 6-2 6-2.

    While Isner progressed, seeds Adrian Mannarino and Jordan Thompson exited in the round of 16.

    French second seed Mannarino was beaten by Tennys Sandgren 6-4 6-1, while third seed Thompson lost 6-2 7-6 (8-6) to Marcel Granollers.

    It was not all bad news for the seeds as Ugo Humbert (fourth) and Alexander Bublik (seventh) advanced at the expense of Ramkumar Ramanathan and Viktor Troicki respectively.

    Elsewhere, Mischa Zverev saw off Guido Andreozzi 6-4 6-4 and Christopher Eubanks lost 6-4 6-3 against Ilya Ivashka.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.