Sabalenka and Mertens suffer shock defeats on Dutch soil

By Sports Desk June 11, 2019

Seeds Aryna Sabalenka and Elise Mertens both suffered early exits at the Rosmalen Grass Court Championships on Tuesday.

Destanee Aiava recorded her first career victory over a top-10 player after battling back from a break down in the deciding set to stun second seed Sabalenka.

The Australian teenager claimed five of the final six games to triumph 7-6 (7-3) 1-6 6-4. She will next face Veronika Kudermetova, the Russian having progressed by beating Ons Jabeur in straight sets.

Sabalenka had reached the last four in the French Open doubles when teaming up with Mertens, who followed the example of her playing partner from Roland Garros by losing early in 's-Hertogenbosch.

The third seed was beaten by Ekaterina Alexandrova in a match that lasted 70 minutes. However, Kiki Bertens - the top seed for the tournament - had no such issues in her opening contest, brushing aside Johanna Larsson 6-3 6-1.

Lesia Tsurenko recorded a 6-4 6-4 victory over Kristyna Pliskova, while Alison Van Uytvanck also triumphed in straight sets against Wang Yafan.

Kirsten Flipkens was made to work a little harder, the Belgian overcoming a second-set blip to beat Aleksandra Krunic 6-3 3-6 6-1 and join compatriot Ysaline Bonaventure - a 6-2 2-6 6-0 winner over Fiona Ferro - in the next round.

After losing in the opening round of the doubles, French Open semi-finalist Amanda Anisimova withdrew from the singles due to illness.

Meanwhile, persistent rain meant no play was possible at the Nottingham Open.

Related items

  • US Open 2019: Cahill confident Serena will match Court's record tally US Open 2019: Cahill confident Serena will match Court's record tally

    Darren Cahill says there is "no question" Serena Williams can end her grand slam drought as she attempts to banish the memories of last year's US Open meltdown.

    Williams has lost all three major finals and failed to win a tournament since giving birth to her first child two years ago.

    She was once again unable to match Margaret Court's record of 24 major singles titles when Simona Halep dismantled her in the decider at Wimbledon last month.

    Angelique Kerber beat Williams in the final at the All England Club 12 months earlier and the 37-year-old had a run-in with chair umpire Carlos Ramos as she was denied a seventh triumph on home soil by Naomi Osaka at Flushing Meadows last September.

    The former world number one has not won a grand slam since the 2017 Australian Open, but is favourite to draw level with Court in New York next month.

    Williams will face old foe Maria Sharapova in a mouthwatering first-round clash and Cahill, Halep's former coach, feels it is a matter of time before one of the all-time greats adds to her haul.

    Cahill, an ESPN commentator at the final major of the year, told Omnisport: "There is no question she can win more majors, you do not make the final of grand slams, playing the tennis she has played and not be capable of going that extra step and winning them.

    "She came into a couple of hot players: Osaka here was playing great last year and she was going to be tough to beat and we saw what she went on to do at the Australian Open. Simona then played out of the best matches of her life at Wimbledon.

    "She's made three grand slam finals since becoming a mum and that's a remarkable achievement in itself.

    "Anybody else in the world would be incredibly satisfied and proud of what she's been able to do. I'm sure she's proud anyway, but I'm sure she's incredibly hungry to add to her tally of grand slam titles and I'm sure she will."

  • US Open: Djokovic welcomes Federer and Nadal's 'great impact' on player council US Open: Djokovic welcomes Federer and Nadal's 'great impact' on player council

    Novak Djokovic says Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have made a "great impact" since rejoining the ATP player council and welcomed a shorter meeting with the legendary duo in New York on Friday.

    Federer and Nadal returned to the council this month in what has been a turbulent year politically on the men's tour.

    Djokovic revealed in June that he considered joining a mass player council exodus because the governance structure is so inefficient and he feels seven-hour meetings are "unacceptable".

    The world number one and head of the council has welcomed Federer and Nadal's decision to step up after they held talks ahead of the US Open.

    Djokovic said at Flushing Meadows: "The impact is already great because they are the legends of our sport and two big names joining the council.

    "There's already been a big impact on the rest of the players in the council, of course the larger group of tennis players in general, knowing that these two guys are willing to contribute, to come in to help out, to support, to participate in discussions and some decision-making.

    "It was interesting. It has never happened that you have one, two, and three of the world in [a] council group that is [a] group of 10 players. So, all I hear from other players is positive comments about it.

    "And it went well. They were very engaged. So, I'm looking forward to working with them."

    Asked if it was not another seven-hour meeting, he added: "It wasn't and actually, that's why it was very surprising, to be honest.

    "Because the last two before last night, the last two meetings we had were six and seven hours. And this [on Friday] was two, two hours 15 minutes. Because it was well prepared prior to the meeting, and we still didn't go through a full agenda. Of course, that's what happens most of the time.

    "It's good that we at least are doing also work prior to sitting down so we could have a more efficient meeting."

  • Hurkacz claims maiden title at Winston-Salem Open Hurkacz claims maiden title at Winston-Salem Open

    Hubert Hurkacz lifted his first ATP trophy after upstaging top seed Benoit Paire in the final of the Winston-Salem Open.

    Hurkacz made Polish history as the third seed stunned Paire 6-3 3-6 6-3 at the ATP 250 tournament in North Carolina on Saturday.

    The 22-year-old became the first Pole to win a tour-level title since Wojtek Fibak in 1982 after breaking serve on five occasions against Paire.

    Contesting his first ATP final, Hurkacz defeated four consecutive seeded opponents to celebrate a maiden trophy following wins over 16th seed Feliciano Lopez, 10th seed Frances Tiafoe and second seed Denis Shapovalov before trumping Paire.

    Hurkacz, who withstood a brief rain delay in the decider, will now head into the US Open with confidence.

    He will open his Flushing Meadows campaign against another Frenchman – Jeremy Chardy – while Paire is set to face Brayden Schnur.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.