BREAKING NEWS: Hamilton to miss Sakhir GP after positive COVID-19 test

By Sports Desk December 01, 2020

Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19, Mercedes have announced.

Related items

  • 'Devastated' Murray out of Australian Open following positive COVID-19 test 'Devastated' Murray out of Australian Open following positive COVID-19 test

    Andy Murray has withdrawn from the Australian Open a little over a week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Murray, a five-time finalist in Melbourne, went into isolation at home after returning a positive test on January 14.

    The three-time major winner, ranked 123rd in the world, had hoped to compete at the first grand slam of the year after being granted a wildcard.

    However, tournament organisers indicated it would be difficult for Murray to remain in the draw as he would be unable to travel via one of the official charter flights containing other players before going through the required period of quarantine.

    On Friday, the 33-year-old confirmed he had been unable to come to a "workable" solution with authorities.

    In a statement carried by The Guardian and other UK media outlets, Murray said: "Gutted to share that I won't be flying out to Australia to compete at the Australian Open.

    "We've been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try and find a solution but we couldn't make it work.

    "I want to thank everyone there for their efforts, I'm devastated not to be playing out in Australia. It's a country and tournament that I love."

    The build-up to this year's Australian Open has been impacted by players having to spend a two-week quarantine in their hotel accommodation.

    A total of 72 competitors have been unable to leave their rooms after positive coronavirus tests among passengers on the chartered flights to Melbourne.

    Players have been unable to access practice courts and many have complained on social media about sub-standard food and conditions, with Yulia Putintseva, the world number 28, sharing videos showing mice in her room.

    The tournament is due to start on February 8.

  • Button returns to Williams as former champion lands new role Button returns to Williams as former champion lands new role

    Jenson Button has returned to Williams in a senior advisory role after agreeing a multi-year deal.

    Button was given his Formula One break by Williams 21 years ago when he was handed a drive for the 2000 season.

    The 41-year-old Briton went on to be crowned F1 world champion during his time with Brawn in 2009 and retired in 2016 with 15 race victories to his name.

    Button now returns to Williams, who were sold to American private investment firm Dorilton Capital last year as the Williams family ended their 43-year-old involvement in F1.

    He will be tasked with passing on his experience at grands prix, while also attending team events in the United Kingdom.

    Englishman Button said: "I am so delighted to once again be able to say that I've signed for Williams. Back when I was 19 it was a moment that changed my life and, despite the fact it was over 20 years ago, I already feel like I never really left.

    "Sir Frank Williams showed faith in me which I will be eternally grateful for and I am incredibly excited to have the chance to come back and help the team as it strives once more for success."

    Incoming Williams Racing chief executive Jost Capito said: "Bringing Jenson back on board is another positive step to help us move forward as a team both on and off track. Jenson has always been a friend of the team and so it is great to welcome him back into the Williams family.

    "Back in 2000, Sir Frank saw the promising talent Jenson had as a driver and gave him his first opportunity in F1. He more than fulfilled that initial promise throughout a glittering career that culminated in world championship glory.

    "More recently, he has shown his acumen in both the business and broadcasting worlds and remains a widely respected figure in the paddock."

  • Zidane 'feeling fine' as Madrid remain without Ramos for Alaves trip Zidane 'feeling fine' as Madrid remain without Ramos for Alaves trip

    Zinedine Zidane is in "good spirits" after testing positive for COVID-19 as Real Madrid get ready to take on Deportivo Alaves without their head coach.

    The Spanish club confirmed on Friday that Zidane is isolating after contracting coronavirus, meaning he will not be present for Saturday's LaLiga fixture.

    Having already lost to Athletic Bilbao in the semi-finals of the Supercopa de Espana, Los Blancos suffered a humiliating defeat to third-tier club Alcoyano to exit the Copa del Rey in midweek.

    With their title defence also stuttering, the pressure has increased on Zidane, whose absence this weekend means assistant coach David Bettoni will be in charge.

    "I spoke to him this morning, he's feeling fine," Bettoni told the media ahead of a trip to an Alaves side that won 2-1 in Madrid last season.

    "He's in good spirits. He won't be with us in person but we know he'll be supporting us. The important thing is that everyone knows he'll be there in spirit.

    "We're just finalising how we're going to do things."

    Zidane insisted he remained calm about his own future in the aftermath of the defeat to Alcoyano, having seen a strong Madrid side let slip a 1-0 lead to lose 2-1 after extra time.

    Bettoni insists the squad remain united with the focus now shifting back to LaLiga, where they quickly need to make up ground on leaders Atletico Madrid.

    "At Real Madrid, every defeat brings criticism, but we have enough experience to know we've got a chance against Alaves to show everyone we're a unit," he said.

    "We're all together in this and we're going to do all we can to take the three points. We work hard every day towards just that and we have another chance to show it."

    Sergio Ramos did not feature in the cup tie on Wednesday and will once again be absent this weekend, while fellow defender Dani Carvajal is not yet ready to make a return.

    "With Sergio Ramos, he is in his recovery process and he won't be with us tomorrow," Bettoni confirmed.

    "Dani Carvajal trained a little with us, but he won't be with us either and will be able to train normally from Monday."

    Madrid have lost just one of their previous 15 away games in LaLiga but have found goals hard to come by this season, managing 30 in 18 games. That is their second-worst tally at this stage in the past 14 campaigns.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.