Veteran Raikkonen 'not in a hurry' over decision on F1 future

By Sports Desk July 16, 2020

Kimi Raikkonen reiterated he is "not in a hurry" to decide his future in Formula One beyond the 2020 season.

The veteran Finn's contract expires with Alfa Romeo at the end of the delayed campaign, which is in Hungary for round three this weekend.

Raikkonen, racing in his 18th season in F1, stated prior to the start of the season that new rule changes in the series – which are now delayed until 2022 – would have no bearing on his decision.

And the 40-year-old said that he is often in discussions with the team but talks over next season are not at the forefront of his mind.

"Obviously we talk always we're not in a hurry to decide anything so," Raikkonen said in quotes from a video on F1's official website.

Raikkonen and team-mate Antonio Giovinazzi have yet to score a point following the opening two rounds in Austria and the 2007 world champion said qualifying will be crucial to getting off the market in Hungary.

"Obviously it's nice, a nice place to come, nice track, it's slightly different obviously than Austria, you have to qualify well here," he added. 

"It's more difficult to overtake, we have to see what we get and hopefully we can be a bit stronger here.

"It depends on so many things, it doesn't matter if there are no straights if your car doesn't handle at the right times. Qualifying is more important here, let's hope we're in a better grid position here."

Related items

  • Alpine appoint ex-Suzuki boss Brivio as racing director Alpine appoint ex-Suzuki boss Brivio as racing director

    Alpine have appointed Davide Brivio, the former boss of MotoGP team Suzuki Ecstar, as their racing director.

    Renault announced the departure of team principal Cyril Abiteboul on Monday ahead of their rebrand to Alpine for the 2021 Formula One campaign, and now they have added new blood.

    Brivio was linked to F1 after quitting his post with Suzuki Ecstar, who won the team and rider championships in last year's MotoGP season.

    An Alpine statement read: "Davide Brivio joins Alpine F1 Team as racing director.

    "We are delighted to confirm Davide Brivio will strengthen our team ahead of the 2021 Formula One season. His specific role and responsibilities will be announced in the coming weeks.

    "Davide will report to the Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi.

    "Davide joins Alpine F1 Team with a wealth of experience and success following more than 20 years in the MotoGP world championship.

    "We look forward to welcoming Davide as we start the next stage of our Formula One journey."

    Alpine's driver line-up is made up of Frenchman Esteban Ocon and former two-time champion Fernando Alonso.

  • Ferrari driver Leclerc tests positive for coronavirus Ferrari driver Leclerc tests positive for coronavirus

    Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for coronavirus, the team have confirmed.

    The 23-year-old was already isolating having been in close contact with someone who had contracted COVID-19.

    Ferrari said Leclerc is isolating at home in Monaco and is displaying mild symptoms.

    A team statement read: "Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for COVID-19.

    "In accordance with the team's protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday, the result from his latest test came back positive. 

    "Charles notified us immediately and has informed everyone he has been in close contact with in the last few days.

    "He is currently feeling ok with mild symptoms and is now self-isolating at home in Monaco."

    Leclerc added on his Instagram stories: "Hello guys. I hope you are all staying safe.

    "I want to let you know that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I am regularly checked according to my team's protocols.

    "Unfortunately, I learned that I have been in contact with a positive case and immediately went into self-isolation, notifying anyone I had contact with. A subsequent test I took has come back positive.

    "I am feeling okay and have mild symptoms. I will remain in isolation in my home in Monaco in compliance with the regulations set by the local health authorities.

    "Stay safe and take care."

    World champion Lewis Hamilton tested positive towards the end of the 2020 F1 season, while Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez have also previously missed time due to coronavirus.

  • No Ferrari regrets over failure to sign Hamilton No Ferrari regrets over failure to sign Hamilton

    Ferrari do not regret their failure to sign Lewis Hamilton for the 2021 season as they are confident Charles Leclerc can challenge the Formula One champion.

    Hamilton has won six of his record-equalling seven world championships with Mercedes, although he has not yet committed to the Silver Arrows for the coming campaign.

    A resolution is expected soon, but links to rivals Ferrari have never been far away.

    A blockbuster move will not materialise on this occasion, however, as the Scuderia have secured Carlos Sainz Jr next to Leclerc in their 2021 line-up, replacing Sebastian Vettel.

    And team principal Mattia Binotto is confident they have made the right move.

    He told Sky Sports: "I don't think there will be regret because, at the end, when we took some decisions, we took them thinking they were the right decisions and today we have a fantastic driver like Charles, where we invested a lot as Ferrari.

    "I think he's got a lot of talent. If he's got the right car, I'm pretty sure he can challenge Lewis Hamilton.

    "We've made our choices and I think, together with Carlos, we are very strong. I don't think there will be any regret."

    Although Leclerc - fourth two years ago with two wins to his name - would appear the obvious Ferrari contender, Binotto is not naming a "number one".

    Sainz finished seven points better off than his new team-mate in 2020 while still with McLaren.

    "There is not a number one and number two," Binotto said. "They will have equal opportunities - certainly at the start of the season. I'm pretty happy then that they are free to fight.

    "I think what we have to do as usual is to optimise the team points, and when you optimise the team points, normally you are optimising the drivers' points as well. Team points is the number one.

    "Later in the season, let's see how things will progress, let's see what objectives individual drivers can maybe achieve and if we need to adopt a different strategy, but at the start of the season, they will be free to fight."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.