Russell to remain with Latifi at Williams for 2021 season

By Sports Desk July 16, 2020

George Russell and Nicholas Latifi have both confirmed they will be driving again for Williams in the 2021 Formula One season.

While already under contract with the team for next year, Russell is part of Mercedes' young driver stable and could have made the move if a seat became available.

However, with Valtteri Bottas set to stay put alongside world champion Lewis Hamilton, the Englishman revealed on Thursday he will be back for a third campaign with his current team.

"I signed a three-year deal with Williams and I'll be staying there for 2021, to build on last year and hopefully what this year turns out to be," Russell told the media, according to F1's official website.

Russell failed to register a point in his maiden F1 campaign last year, though he did complete all bar two of the 21 races in the calendar.

Asked if he was disappointed not to be heading to Mercedes, Russell replied: "No, I'm not disappointed in Mercedes at all.

"There was nothing more they could do. Claire [Williams, deputy team principal at Williams] was firm with her decision that she was not willing, or not ready to let me go, and ultimately as I have a contract with Williams, I have to respect that decision.

"So I'm here, I'll be giving everything I've got for Williams this year and into next year, and let's see what that holds after that."

Latifi, meanwhile, made his debut at the Austrian Grand Prix this month, having taken the seat at Williams vacated by Robert Kubica.

"I have a multi-year deal with the team, so yes I will be with the team in 2021," the Canadian said 

Related items

  • Perez: Vettel to Racing Point rumours will soon disappear Perez: Vettel to Racing Point rumours will soon disappear

    Sergio Perez believes rumours linking Sebastian Vettel with a move to Racing Point will soon disappear.

    Four-time Formula One champion Vettel is without a team for 2021 after Ferrari opted not to renew his contract.

    At the British Grand Prix, the German was pictured bumping elbows with Racing Point owner Lawrence Stroll – the father of Perez's team-mate Lance Stroll – and sharing a ride in team principal Otmar Szafnauer's Ferrari.

    However, Perez, who will return to the paddock at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix after missing the previous two races due to positive coronavirus tests, has no concerns about his future with the team.

    "With the rumours of Sebastian, I think there's nothing I can do," said Perez.

    "What I've heard from the team is that we all want to keep going, to continue. So I believe it's just a matter of time before those rumours can go away."

    Asked if he had spoken to the team about a seat for 2021, he replied: "No, not really, given that my position with the team looks quite secure.

    "That's the feeling that I've been getting. We are fully on this package, and we want to continue as well."

    Vettel's interactions with two high-ranking people at Racing Point did not make Perez feel that his seat was in jeopardy.

    "I think Otmar, he's a very proud Ferrari owner!" Perez said.

    "What do I make of it? Nothing. I think everyone is free to do what they want, especially outside the racing.

    "Between the elbow with Lawrence, nothing really to say. I don't make anything of it."

  • Perez to return for Racing Point at Spanish GP after negative COVID-19 test Perez to return for Racing Point at Spanish GP after negative COVID-19 test

    Sergio Perez will return for Racing Point at the Spanish Grand Prix after testing negative for COVID-19.

    Mexican driver Perez was unable to take part in the British Grand Prix or 70th Anniversary Grand Prix over the past two weekends due to positive coronavirus tests.

    Nico Hulkenberg filled in at Silverstone, but it was confirmed on Thursday that Perez will be back in his seat in Barcelona.

    "We're pleased to share the news that Perez has tested negative for COVID-19," Racing Point said in a statement.

    "The FIA have confirmed that 'Checo' [Perez] can return to the F1 paddock and he will compete for the team in this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix."

    Speaking prior to the announcement, Perez said: "I've definitely missed racing and it was hard to watch from the outside. I can't wait to get on track, hopefully this weekend.

    "I'm very lucky that I've only had mild symptoms, so I've been able to keep training and make sure that I'm ready to jump back behind the wheel of the car. I'm very glad I had my tablet to keep me entertained too, though!"

    Hulkenberg was unable to start the British Grand Prix after Racing Point failed to get his car firing prior to the formation lap.

    He qualified third for the second race at Silverstone and finished seventh, and now hopes to regain a place on the grid for 2021 following talks with Alfa Romeo.

  • Racing Point confirm appeal against verdict in brake duct case Racing Point confirm appeal against verdict in brake duct case

    Racing Point have confirmed their intention to appeal against the FIA's decision to sanction them for using illegal rear brake ducts.

    The FIA last week fined the British team €400,000 and docked them 15 points for using parts it deemed were principally copied from Mercedes designs.

    Ahead of the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone, team owner Lawrence Stroll accused Formula One rivals of "poor sportsmanship" and said he was "appalled" by their response.

    Racing Point confirmed they would lodge an appeal within 96 hours of the notification of the penalty and the case will now be heard by the FIA's International Court of Appeal at a future date.

    Renault, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams also appealed against the verdict, feeling the punishment was too lenient, but McLaren and Williams have since withdrawn their appeals.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.