Iannone's lawyer confident over quick appeal decision

By Sports Desk May 08, 2020

Andrea Iannone's lawyer is confident the Aprilia rider will discover if his appeal against an 18-month MotoGP ban has been successful before the season starts.

Iannone was last month hit with a heavy sanction after testing positive for a banned substance in 2019.

The Italian was provisionally suspended in December after returning an adverse finding of a non-specified substance, later confirmed to be an illegal anabolic agent, in a urine sample taken at last year's Malaysian Grand Prix.

Iannone has taken the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, with the FIM ruling having recognised the 30-year-old appeared to have eaten contaminated meat.

Antonio De Rensis, Iannone's lawyer, is optimistic the rider will be fully acquitted and expects a verdict to be reached within two months.

"The ruling clarified the contamination following meat intake, there is a point on page 15 [of the judgement] that, in our opinion, should determine the conclusion of the process with an acquittal," De Rensis told SkySport.it.

"Because the judges, I quote, 'also take note of the statements in the documents submitted by the rider regarding the high-class hotels where the rider ate meals and where contaminated food is not expected to be found.

"It follows that the rider's diet depended on the food available in the hotels and he did not have many other choices for meals''

"You must tell me, in the face of these words by the judges, how you can give a person an 18-month suspension? They say that he did what he had to do, he had no other chance to eat.

"If Andrea had eaten in a small shop on the street, or had taken food from unknown people, then one could have doubts but the moment the athlete eats in the restaurant of a high-class hotel, I think he did everything he had to do.

"Nonetheless, he got an 18-month disqualification."

He added: "The CAS will have to evaluate whether an athlete has done everything he should, as is also written in the sentence. I believe that Andrea Iannone deserves to be completely acquitted.

"We will file the appeal by May 15, but certainly before, at that point the federation has 20 days to reply to our arguments. 

"I am confident that a decision can be reached in two months. In short, we trust that when presumably the world championship will start, Andrea will already have had the final sentence."

MotoGP organisers are hoping between 12 and 16 rounds will be possible in a season that has not started due to the coronavirus pandemic, with proposals to get under way with back-to-back races in Spain on July 19 and 26.

Related items

  • Marquez broke arm plate opening window at home Marquez broke arm plate opening window at home

    MotoGP champion Marc Marquez broke the plate in his injured arm while opening a window at home, according to Repsol Honda team boss Alberto Puig.

    Marquez suffered a fractured humerus in the first race of the season at Jerez and had an operation to fit a titanium plate.

    Remarkably, the 27-year-old was back on the bike for the Andalusia Grand Prix the following weekend but declared himself unfit to race after feeling discomfort in qualifying.

    It was confirmed on Monday that Marquez has had a second operation due to damage to the plate, which Puig attributed to a "domestic accident".

    Speaking ahead of this weekend's Czech Republic Grand Prix in Brno, Puig said: "As you know, last Monday, Marc had another surgery on the humerus due to the crash at Jerez.

    "It was a domestic accident this time because he was trying to open a window and he suddenly felt a lot of pain and later we could see that the plate was broken.

    "This is caused after all the stress that he had in the arm, but as you know we went to Jerez with conviction that we could do it.

    "The doctors were okay [for him] to do it and they never informed us that the plate could have broken.

    "If we had this info, probably he wouldn't have gone to Jerez, Honda will not have given him the chance to ride.

    "But the positive point is that this happened in his house, not at Brno on the bike, or in Austria, which could have had massive consequences in case he had another crash.

    "From now on we will have to continue to check the development of his fracture and only time will tell when he's ready to go back racing."

    With Marquez now 50 points adrift of Fabio Quartararo in the standings, the Repsol Honda rider is facing a huge task to keep alive his challenge for a seventh MotoGP title.

    However, Puig is not prepared to discount him from what would be a famous triumph.

    "You can never say never, it's never over but it's more difficult," he said. "Now, other guys have an open window, guys who maybe didn't have any chances have some chances now.

    "But if you check it mathematically, it's more difficult, but it's like this. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

    "Marquez, normally he wins. Now it's going to be more difficult."

    Marquez will sit out the Czech Grand Prix and will reportedly miss the following two races, returning at Mugello in September.

  • Perez could make Silverstone return if he tests negative for COVID-19 Perez could make Silverstone return if he tests negative for COVID-19

    Sergio Perez is to discover on Thursday whether he will return at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after completing a period of quarantine following his positive test for coronavirus.

    The Racing Point driver missed the British Grand Prix last weekend after contracting COVID-19.

    Public Health England advised that the Mexican would only have to isolate for a week, so the 30-year-old could race at Silverstone this weekend if he returns a negative test.

    A Racing Point statement on Thursday said: "Public Health England have confirmed that Sergio Perez's period of quarantine has been completed.

    ‍"In line with the FIA Code Of Conduct, Sergio requires a verified negative test result for COVID-19 before he can enter the paddock. The testing process is taking place today.

    ‍"The team expects to make a decision on who is driving alongside Lance [Stroll] later today or first thing tomorrow morning."

    Nico Hulkenberg was drafted in as a late replacement for Perez at Silverstone last week but did even make it on to the grid.

    A clutch bolt issue with his car prevented Hulkenberg from making his Formula One comeback and Perez will be hoping he does not get another opportunity at the same track.

  • Bottas commits to Mercedes for 2021 Formula One season Bottas commits to Mercedes for 2021 Formula One season

    Valtteri Bottas has agreed a new deal with Mercedes that will see him stay with the team for the 2021 Formula One season.

    The Finnish driver has managed eight wins, 12 pole positions and 39 podium finishes since joining the German outfit in 2017.

    Bottas was second in the drivers' championship last year behind team-mate Lewis Hamilton and is again battling the Briton in the 2020 standings, having taken 58 points from the first four races of the delayed season.

    "I'm very happy to stay with Mercedes in 2021 and build on the success we've enjoyed together already," Bottas said.

    "The past few years have been all about continuous improvement, working on every aspect of my performance.

    "I'm confident that today I'm the strongest I've ever been, but I can always raise the bar. Mercedes embraces the same philosophy: they always want to get better and are always hungry for more.

    "Ever since I fell in love with F1 as a kid it's been my dream to one day become world champion. I'm in the fight for the title this year and staying with Mercedes puts me in the best possible position to compete for it next season as well."

    Team principle Toto Wolff said: "We are very excited that Valtteri will stay with the team for at least one more season.

    "We're seeing the strongest Valtteri we've ever seen this year – in terms of his on-track performance, but also physically and mentally. He is second in the championship, finished the last season in P2 and plays a very important part in our overall team performance.

    "I'm confident that we have the strongest driver pairing in F1 today and signing Valtteri is an important first step in retaining this strength for the future.

    "Valtteri is a hard-working, straightforward guy who has a good relationship with the entire team – including his team-mate, which is not a given when both drivers are fighting for the championship.

    "I'm looking forward to seeing him continue to raise the bar together with us this year and in 2021."

    The fifth race of the year, the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, takes place at Silverstone this weekend.

    At the same venue last week, Bottas dropped from second to 11th after suffering a puncture with just four laps to go, with Hamilton just crossing the line in first despite a similar problem.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.