MotoGP Raceweek: Marquez unsure if he can top remarkable 2019 consistency

By Sports Desk November 17, 2019

Marc Marquez concedes it will be tough to replicate the phenomenal consistency he displayed en route to a sixth MotoGP championship in 2019 next season.

The Spaniard rounded off a campaign to remember with a 12th win from 19 rounds, a result that secured the teams championship for Repsol Honda, while he only placed outside of the top two once.

Nearest rival Andrea Dovizioso finished some 151 points adrift of Marquez, who has no doubt 2019 will be remembered as one of the best of his career.

Speaking to BT Sport, he said: "It's been amazing.

"I mean 2019, I don't know if it will be the best season of my career, but one of the best for sure.

"It will be difficult to improve the consistency, there was just one crash when the leading the race.

"It's been an amazing season and to finish in a good way [is great]. The victory was important but also Repsol can celebrate the team championship, so it's something important for Repsol."

Marquez added: "I'm very, very happy. It's been the perfect season, it will be difficult to repeat it.

"Now it's time to enjoy it, then Tuesday we start the 2020 season."

Rookie Fabio Quartararo completed a fine debut campaign with a seventh podium finish after placing second and the Frenchman is confident he can do even better next season.

"Who imagined at the end of the season we will have six poles and seven podiums?" He said. 

"I think nobody, we can't ask for no more. I dedicate this to my team, everyone told me I didn't deserve this season in MotoGP, I wanted to prove them wrong.

"It's unbelievable to finish this way. I'm really looking forward to next year, we will be stronger."

Related items

  • Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57 Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57

    Carlos Sainz added another Dakar Rally title to his glittering CV on Friday, winning the event for the third time at the age of 57.

    The rally legend had previously triumphed in 2010 and 2018 and led from the third stage this year.

    He finished six minutes and 21 seconds ahead of defending champion Nasser al-Attiyah.

    Fernando Alonso, making his debut at the event, finished in 13th. 

    The two-time Formula One world champion was among those to pay tribute to the two-time World Rally champion, posting a video of him congratulating Sainz on his Instagram page.

    Sainz's son, Carlos Sainz Jr, wrote of his father on Twitter: "3 Dakars, 3 different brands, 57 years, same passion, same desire, same motivation. 

    "The pride I feel as a son right now is very difficult to explain so I can't think of anything else to say. You're the p*** amo! [the best]."

    On his own Twitter page, Sainz hailed co-driver Lucas Cruz, posting: "CHAMPIONS! This 3rd Dakar has been very hard but we have enjoyed it!

    "I'm still having fun, and we've been on the attack every day. Great @LucasCruz74 and thank you all for your support these weeks."

  • Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash

    Fernando Alonso is determined to make up ground at the Dakar Rally after suffering a significant crash on Wednesday.

    Alonso's vehicle was without a windshield after dramatically flipping down a sand dune at high speed.

    The two-time Formula One world champion continued driving without a windshield after an incident which halted him for over an hour. 

    "All good and ready!! Looking forward to recovering ground," Alonso wrote on Instagram ahead of Thursday's resumption of the race.

    Alonso and co-driver Marc Coma finished Wednesday's stage 10 in 55th position out of the 64 runners, one hour and 17 minutes off the pace.

    They are faring better in the overall standings, though, sitting in 14th place. 

    Stage 10 came to an early halt after organisers halted proceedings 345km into the day's racing due to strong winds.

  • Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash

    Charles Leclerc has vowed there will be no repeat of the incident that saw him crash with Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel in Brazil.

    The pair collided in the penultimate grand prix of the 2019 Formula One season as their long-running rivalry came to a head in an embarrassing incident for the Scuderia, with both drivers forced to retire.

    Team principal Mattia Binotto insisted the air had been cleared and Leclerc ​– who in December signed fresh terms until 2024 – is confident the pair can use their competitive nature to positive effect this season.

    "We are extremely competitive and sometimes on track we might have some frictions," Leclerc told Autosport.

    "But in the end we are mature enough to know that what happened on track is on track and off it we are different.

    "The most important thing is we work together well off track to develop the car in the best way possible and of course not exceed the limits when we are on track like we have seen in Brazil.

    "But I think it was a good lesson for both of us and it won't happen again."

    Leclerc, 10 years Vettel's junior, finished 24 points ahead of his team-mate in the standings last season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.