11-year-old Jamaican signs Formula One contract

By April 08, 2019
Alex Powell Alex Powell

An 11-year-old Jamaican has created history by signing for a Formula One team.

Mercedes, the the team of Grenadine Englishman, Lewis Hamilton, announced the signing of Alex Powell on Thursday, creating more history for the island nation.

“When we were made the offer, we were extremely proud and excited for Alex and proud of his accomplishments. I’m also very happy for Jamaica and the Caribbean, especially because this is actually history in the making. This is actually the first time that a young man from the Caribbean has been signed to a Formula One team,” said Powell’s Dad, John.

John Powell is a veteran racedriver and is also the cousin of one of Jamaica’s finest sprinters, former World Record Holder over 100 metres, Asafa Powell.

According to the elder Powell, his son was excited about the prospect but knew it meant he now had to maintain a level of consistency and keep improving because Mercedez-AMG produced the best.

“One of his first comments was, ‘Dada, this is going to be a lot more pressure on me and the team as a whole.’ But he’s done so well up to now that we’re extremely proud of him and happy for everything that he has done and will do,” said the elder Powell.

While Alex began racing in Jamaica, he moved to Europe for a greater challenge and found he could compete.

“Alex really grew up around motor racing in Jamaica, in Trinidad and in Barbados,” the elder Powell said. “To be able to compete with the best kids in the world and be one of the best, if not the best driver in his age group, 10 to 12 years old, and he’s only 11. It’s really phenomenal for us and for the people of Jamaica,” said Powell.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • F1 Raceweek: Can Vettel recapture Ferrari's number one spot after Singapore glory? F1 Raceweek: Can Vettel recapture Ferrari's number one spot after Singapore glory?

    Sebastian Vettel's long wait for a Formula One victory is over.

    The four-time world champion clinched a triumph at the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday, securing his first race win since August 2018.

    It was a victory which did not come without controversy - Vettel's team-mate Charles Leclerc, who had been hunting a third straight win, was left angered by Ferrari's pit-stop tactics.

    Leclerc had started on pole and was in a dominant position until his team-mate was allowed to undercut him and he came out of the pit stops at the Marina Bay Street Circuit behind the German, who had been running third.

    The 21-year-old complained over the radio: "To be honest with you, I don't understand at all the undercut. But whatever. We'll discuss it after the race."

    While Leclerc's 2019 form has seen him usurp Vettel as Ferrari's number one driver in all but name, a strong end to the season will see the German stake his claim to lead the team once more next year.


    HIGH EXPECTATIONS

    Despite a superb drive and benefitting from team tactics, Vettel was unwilling to rest on his laurels after the victory.

    While he believes the critics have perhaps been too harsh, he affirmed that nobody has higher expectations than he does.

    "Maybe less satisfying than you think," Vettel told BBC Sport after the win about whether he had answered his critics.

    "Recently, I think there was nothing wrong in general. Things weren't maybe falling in place, plus obviously I messed up in the race in Monza, that's my mistake.

    "I have the highest expectation on myself and I'm not happy when I'm not delivering what I know I can. I know that I can improve from there, and I can't be happy with that. But equally I know that it wasn't as bad or disastrous as maybe people put it together."

    Mattia Binotto, meanwhile, explained the circumstances that led to Ferrari prioritising Vettel in Singapore and opting not to swap the drivers back to their original order, despite the frustration of golden boy Leclerc.

    "The undercut was effectively more powerful than expected," he said.

    "We were not expecting such a big number [a 3.5 second advantage] and we thought Charles stopping the lap after would come out ahead of Sebastian.

    "I understand Charles is disappointed. He did his best to win the race and he could have won the race. We did consider to swap [the drivers]. We are still discussing with the drivers whether it was the right choice or not."

    VETTEL MUST DRAW ON EXPERIENCE

    Leclerc's fearless displays have been a main factor in his rise to joint-third in the driver standings, but Vettel is only six points behind with as many races remaining.

    Vettel is a wily operator and his experience could prove crucial now that he has the winning feeling once more.

    A first Ferrari one-two of the season dealt a blow to Mercedes as the Scuderia secured a third straight win. That is Binotto's main concern, but the individual results of their drivers will be an interesting sub-plot for the remainder of 2019.

    First on Vettel's agenda will be halting a miserable run in qualifying that has seen Leclerc in front of him on the grid at eight consecutive races to put him in a better position once each Sunday arrives. The Monegasque has five poles this season to his one.

    Then, he must cut out the sloppy mistakes on race day, which he did to great effect in Singapore after a dreadful outing in Monza.

    With the F1 calendar moving straight to Russia this week, the 32-year-old knows it will take much more than one race to win over critics who have suggested his best days are behind him.

    But he now has a great chance to ensure he goes into a 2020 season where Ferrari hope to challenge for the drivers title with, at the very least, an equal standing to Leclerc.

  • Ferrari boss defends move that sparked Leclerc 'not fair' claim Ferrari boss defends move that sparked Leclerc 'not fair' claim

    Ferrari chief Mattia Binotto said the unusual circumstances that denied Charles Leclerc a possible hat-trick of Formula One victories were simply "part of racing".

    Monaco-born Leclerc is enjoying a revelatory first season with Ferrari, and back-to-back wins in Belgium and Italy might have been followed by a third at the Singapore Grand Prix.

    He began on pole position and held his own, but Ferrari's pit-stop tactics in a race that was repeatedly interrupted by the safety car left Leclerc behind team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

    Leclerc complained over team radio that the move had been "not fair", as the German came in first for new tyres early on and took advantage of a clear track to seize a rare race-winning chance.

    It meant Leclerc had to settle for second place, later admitting he was disappointed the chance to go for the win was effectively taken away. The 21-year-old is likely to have many more opportunities to lead, so the disappointment should soon be chalked down to experience.

    Binotto was quick to state it was important the team's interests were looked after, with the undercut move striking a blow against Mercedes, as he witnessed a third successive Ferrari race triumph.

    "The one-two today is very important to us because we achieved it in a different scenario, on a very different type of circuit to Spa-Francorchamps or Monza," said team principal Binotto.

    "The team managed the situation, the strategy and the pit stops very well. The aero update we brought here worked well and, combined with our drivers’ confidence around here and the tyres, that we managed to get to work properly, we actually got more than we expected.

    "Well done to Seb, he deserved to win! We had to bring him in first, to protect his position because Max Verstappen was about to pit and that was Seb’s best chance to overtake [Lewis] Hamilton.

    "Also, we knew that on the following lap we would have pitted Charles, so it was important not to stop both the drivers on the same lap.

    "The undercut was very effective. Seb drove very fast and very well on new tyres in that part of the race and gained the position to go ahead of Charles, which is part of racing.

    "For his part, after the spectacular qualifying yesterday, Charles had a solid and consistent race.

    "The car is good and is constantly improving and the team is working and reacting well. There’s no doubt about it, we are all very happy with this victory."

  • Mercedes boss Wolff points to 'too many mistakes' as Ferrari outshine Silver Arrows Mercedes boss Wolff points to 'too many mistakes' as Ferrari outshine Silver Arrows

    Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said there were questions to answer after Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas failed to make the Singapore Grand Prix podium.

    A frustrating race for the Silver Arrows saw Hamilton take fourth place and Bottas come home fifth, with Ferrari claiming a rare one-two at the Marina Bay Street Circuit through Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc.

    Ferrari have been the form team since the mid-season break, winning three consecutive races.

    And although Hamilton remains the red-hot drivers' championship favourite, with Mercedes comfortably clear in the constructors' standings, Wolff believes the team left room for improvement in Singapore.

    Bottas said the race, which was interrupted three times by spells behind the safety car, "felt like a long Sunday drive, just without air conditioning".

    Bottas also predicted Ferrari will again be strong at Sochi next time out, while Hamilton said everyone on the team needed "to do a better job".

    Team principal Wolff said: "It's been a disappointing weekend for us and a lot of the issues in the race were created by our qualifying.

    "But we also didn't do a good enough job [in the race] and we can't be satisfied with P4 and P5."

    He added: "I think we had a car capable for pole and we had an opportunity to win, but we made too many mistakes.

    "We're aware that we didn't deliver to the standards that we set ourselves this weekend, so we will review it and see where we can improve for Russia.

    "These tough days are the days that make us stronger. Sochi with its long straights will be a tricky race for us, so we need to make sure we get the best out of our package and get things right."

    The Russian Grand Prix on September 29 offers Mercedes a swift chance to make amends for their Singapore result, and Hamilton was confident they would find the answers required when the team analyse the latest performance.

    Hamilton said on Sunday: "We made mistakes, but in this team, we win and we lose together.

    "We don't point the finger at people, that's always been our philosophy and that won't change because of one race.

    "We're fighting a Ferrari team who are super hungry and pushing very hard. It's on each one of us to do a better job.

    "I believe we're the best team, but we've got to push on. We'll debrief, put our heads back in the scrum, and then come back fighting at the next race."

    Mercedes paid a high price for leaving Hamilton out in front after his rivals had pitted.

    Wolff said: "The undercut was more powerful than everyone expected and it would have been the right strategy call for us. Once we had missed the chance for the undercut, we were hoping to create some opportunity later in the race by offsetting our tyres, but that plan didn't work."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.