Formula One 'very poor', says Alonso after quitting

By Sports Desk August 16, 2018

Fernando Alonso has branded Formula One "very poor" after announcing that he will not drive in the series next year.

Alonso confirmed on Tuesday that he would leave McLaren at the end of the season and would not be seeking a drive elsewhere on the grid.

The 37-year-old has had a glittering career in F1, winning back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006 with Renault, the first of which made him the then youngest ever champion.

Alonso, who is in his 17th season in the sport, has won 32 races, amassed 22 pole positions and reached the podium on 97 occasions.

But the Spaniard spoke candidly on Thursday about the reasons behind his decision to focus on other opportunities, saying that he could find "more happiness" elsewhere.

"It's a series that has some positive things and I've been enjoying for 17 or 18 years of my life," said Alonso.

"I achieved much more than what I dreamed when I started in 2001. But right now the action on track is not what I dreamed of when I joined Formula One.

"Most of my announcement went to sadness, or a sad moment of frustration over the last couple of years for the lack of results. I've been racing for 18 years in Formula One, I won two. Arguably 16 years of my life I was frustrated, but that was not the case and it is not the case now.

"I stopped because the action on track in my opinion is very poor.

"In fact, what we talk about more in Formula One is off track. We talk about polemics, we talk about radio messages, we talk about all these things. And when we talk so many times about those things, it's a bad sign.

"It's because the on-track action was very poor that weekend."

Expanding on his frank assessment of the state of F1, Alonso continued: "It used to be difficult to predict what would happen in Spa or Monza. Now you could write down what is going to happen in Spa and Monza. 

"We can put down the first 15 positions with maybe one or two mistakes.

"How predictable everything became is tough. We go to Barcelona, we test on the first day in winter testing and you know what you will do until November in Abu Dhabi. It's tough.

"That's what I feel in Formula One now and I think there are other series that maybe offer better action, more joy and more happiness."

Alonso has not provided any concrete plans for his post-F1 career and says he will not hurry into making an announcement, although he has not ruled out a return one day in the future.

"I'm leaving the door open because I'm driving at the best level of my career," he added. "Why close doors if anything can happen in the future?

"I'm still young, I'm not 45 years old. I feel strong and I'm doing 27 races this season.

"My thinking is to stop and that's why I've stopped, but who knows? I have other challenges than the ones F1 can offer right now.

"I will not probably decide or be ready to confirm anything until a couple of months, maybe October or something like that. It's going to be a long wait and a lot of predictions."

Related items

  • Joan Mir to sit out again at British MotoGP Joan Mir to sit out again at British MotoGP

    Joan Mir will not return to action at the British Grand Prix, with test rider Sylvain Guintoli taking his place, Team Suzuki Ecstar have confirmed.

    Mir missed the Austrian Grand Prix following a crash in testing that left him with a pulmonary contusion.

    The Spaniard had been expected to return to MotoGP at Silverstone, yet he has not made a full recovery and, with his training also limited, his team announced via a statement Mir will sit out.

    "In the end, I am not able to be in Silverstone for the next race and it is a real pity," Mir said. "But that's how things are, and the first priority has to be my health.

    "After the accident, I spent several weeks resting, first in the hospital and then at home.

    "I have started to walk but, after the tests, it seems that I am still not 100 per cent, so the doctors have determined that it is better to continue with my rehabilitation."

  • Hamlin passes DiBenedetto for Bristol win Hamlin passes DiBenedetto for Bristol win

    Denny Hamlin reigned supreme as he denied Matt DiBenedetto at the NASCAR Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race.

    It was almost a Cinderella story at Bristol Motor Speedway, where DiBenedetto was less than 10 laps away in the gruelling 500-lap event from the first win in his Cup Series career, but it just was not meant to be.

    Hamlin stayed hot and came back from an early bump with Jimmie Johnson to earn his fourth win of the season and his fifth straight finish inside the top three on Saturday.

    "I just want to say sorry to Matt DiBenedetto and [his crew chief] Mike Wheeler," said Hamlin. "I hate it. I know a win would mean a lot to that team, but I've got to give 110 per cent to my whole team. Just, sorry."

    DiBenedetto received terrible news this week as it was announced he would not be returning to Leavine Family Racing and he was so close to claiming just a taste of redemption at Bristol, but he came up just a little short.

    But his second-place finish was his fourth top-10 spot in his last eight races and could be a sign of good things to come even if he has to do it in another ride.

     

     

     

  • Earnhardt 'safe' after plane crash in Tennessee Earnhardt 'safe' after plane crash in Tennessee

    Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his family are safe after being involved in a plane crash in Tennessee on Thursday.

    Earnhardt's sister Kelley confirmed that a plane carrying the retired NASCAR driver, his wife Amy and their daughter Isla crashed near Bristol.

    She said the family and their two pilots were taken to a hospital but are "safe" after the incident.

    "Everyone is safe and has been taken to the hospital for further evaluation," she wrote, in part, on Twitter.

    "We have no further information at this time. Thank you for your understanding."

    NBC Sports released a statement confirming Earnhardt will not be in the broadcast this weekend as he takes time to recover.

    "We're incredibly grateful that Dale, his wife Amy, daughter Isla, and the two pilots are safe following today's accident," the statement read.

    "After being discharged from the hospital, we communicated with Dale and his team, and we're all in agreement that he should take this weekend off to be with his family. We look forward to having him back in the booth next month at Darlington."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.