Steele posts lowest round of PGA Tour career to lead Sony Open

By Sports Desk January 16, 2021

Brendan Steele recorded the lowest round of his PGA Tour career as he claimed a two-stroke lead after the third round at the Sony Open in Hawaii.

American golfer Steele – who lost a play-off at last year's tournament – posted a nine-under-par 61 to rise six positions to the top of the leaderboard in Honolulu on Saturday.

A three-time Tour champion, Steele was flawless at Waialae Country Club, where he drained nine birdies, including his final two holes to be 18 under overall.

Steele holds the outright 54-hole lead for the second consecutive season at the Sony Open in Hawaii. He could become the first player to lose a play-off and win the same event the following season since Ryuji Imada in 2008.

Kevin Na (61) and Joaquin Niemann are Steele's nearest challengers heading into the final round of the tournament.

Na equalled his career low-round, while the American is now tied with Brandt Snedeker and Justin Thomas for the most rounds (four) of 61 or better on Tour since 2014.

Peter Malnati (64), Charley Hoffman (64), Russell Henley (65), Chris Kirk (65) and Stewart Cink (65) are three shots off the pace.

Overnight leader and Canadian Nick Taylor, meanwhile, dropped down the leaderboard following his two-under-par 68.

Taylor ended the round tied for ninth on 14 under, alongside Marc Leishman (65), Keith Mitchell (63) and Daniel Berger (64).

Related items

  • Tiger Woods in hospital: LA County sheriff doesn't expect charges against golfer Tiger Woods in hospital: LA County sheriff doesn't expect charges against golfer

    The roll-over car crash that hospitalised Tiger Woods is being treated as an accident and Los Angeles County sheriff Alex Villanueva revealed he does not expect any charges brought.

    The 15-time major winner Woods was temporarily trapped in the wreckage before being taken to hospital to undergo surgery on "significant" injuries to his right leg.

    Speaking from his office on Wednesday, Villanueva explained that the 45-year-old showed "no evidence of impairment" when he was removed from the scene of the collision.

    "Are charges possible in the crash? We don't contemplate any charges whatsoever in this crash," he said.

    "This remains an accident. An accident is not a crime. They do happen, unfortunately.

    "Another question here. Was he drunk? He was not drunk. That is, definitely we can throw that one out. Speculation. Irresponsible.

    "No, there was no evidence of any impairment. I said that yesterday. And that's just the facts all the way there.

    "If there was evidence of that, well then we'd proceed with that, however, and we hold everyone accountable to the rule of law, no matter what your celebrity status is.

    "But there was no evidence of that. So this is an accident. We're treating it as an accident."

    Villanueva said search warrants would be required were any further investigations to take place.

    "We'll assume that during the course of the treatment, they did draw blood," he said.

    "And they have to do that, obviously, because he has to go into surgery and all that.

    "But that's going to require a search warrant from our part to go into those details."

    In regards to the phone records, he said: "We'll find out [if he was using his phone]. And I'm sure his phone records might be relevant to that itself.

    "And that's going to be up to the investigators and they will require a search warrant for that."

  • Digne wants to take Everton to Champions League after signing new contract Digne wants to take Everton to Champions League after signing new contract

    Everton have announced star defender Lucas Digne has signed a new four-year contract.

    The new deal sees the 27-year-old commit to spending the prime of his career at Goodison Park following stints at LaLiga outfit Barcelona, Ligue 1 clubs Paris Saint-Germain and Lille, and a season-long loan at Roma in Serie A.

    During his nearly three seasons on Merseyside, the set-piece specialist has quickly become a key component of the Toffees defensive unit, and their attack, playing 97 games in all competitions.

    Digne has recorded six assists in 16 league games this season, one short of his total in 35 matches from 2019-20, while he claimed four goals and four assists in his debut 2018-19 Premier League campaign.

    The France international has expressed his desire to help lead Carlo Ancelotti's side into the Champions League during his time at the club.

    "In the national team, the competition in my position, and every position, is really strong and I have to play at the best level,” Digne told evertontv, after inking a contract until 2025.

    "I play in the best league and I want to play in the best cup in Europe [Champions League], for sure.

    "And I want to do that with Everton."

    Only Liverpool duo Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold (28) have most assists than Digne (17) of full-backs since he arrived in the Premier League.

    Digne has created the second most chances (166) out of Premier League full-backs in the same period, behind Alexander-Arnold, while he has put in the third most open-play crosses (400).

    He added: "We have a big project with the club and can reach something very good at the end of this season and for the next few years.

    "I have seen the progress every year since joining the club, we are building a strong team.

    "When you sign for Everton, it is like an amazing wedding.

    "You just have to do your best every day to show Evertonians the love you have for them. That is what I do.

    "I want to show them what they give me and it is just amazing.

    "It was clear in my mind that I want to continue with Everton."

  • Zidane knows Madrid 'didn't play well' in win over Atalanta Zidane knows Madrid 'didn't play well' in win over Atalanta

    Zinedine Zidane accepted injury-hit Real Madrid did not do themselves justice against 10-man Atalanta but was content to come away with a 1-0 Champions League advantage.

    Atalanta midfielder Remo Freuler was sent off for a professional foul on Ferland Mendy only 17 minutes into the first leg of the round of 16 tie at Gewiss Stadium on Wednesday.

    Lacklustre Madrid dominated possession but had just three shots on target in a drab encounter until Mendy scored his first European goal to win it four minutes from time.

    A depleted Los Blancos side, who have the likes of Karim Benzema and Eden Hazard on a long list of absentees, lacked ideas and looked set to fire a blank prior to Mendy's sweetly struck late away goal.

    Zidane knows Madrid's fifth consecutive win was not pretty, but he was relieved to take the upper hand heading into the second leg at home on March 16.

    The Madrid head coach said: "We didn't play a great game tonight, but I think the most important thing is the result.

    "In the end, scoring is what is important to us. We still have to play the second leg, but it's a good result."

    The former France midfielder added: "We played against a very physically strong team. Defensively they were good and it's a good result.

    "There are many casualties, but we continue with what we are doing well. The players who are here are committed."

    Zidane praised Isco, who made only his fifth start of the season - and his first in the Champions League - in a more advanced role with Benzema still sidelined.

    "It has been a long time since he played so many minutes and he has done very well in a position that is not his," said Zidane.

    "He has played a great game, we know what he can give us and he has done very well. When he plays he gives everything on the field. It's a victory and he's done a great job for over an hour."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.