DeChambeau honoured to join Tiger, Nicklaus after U.S. Open win

By Sports Desk September 20, 2020

Bryson DeChambeau said it was special to join elite company in Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus with his U.S. Open victory.

DeChambeau pulled away for his first major success, winning by six strokes at Winged Foot in New York.

The American, 27, carded a three-under 67 in the final round on Sunday and was the only player to finish under par.

DeChambeau joined Woods and Nicklaus as the only players to win the U.S. Amateur, U.S. Open and an individual title at the NCAA Division I Men's Golf Championship, and it was company the winner was delighted to join.

"It's just an honour. I don't know what else to say. It's been a lot of hard work," he said.

"Mr Nicklaus has been always awesome to me. He gave me a sponsor's invite. Tiger has always been great to me. I can't say thank you enough to them for them helping me push me along to be a better person and a better golfer, as well.

"But to be in the likes of the names of that company is special. I'll forever appreciate that."

As overnight leader Matthew Wolff fell away in the final round, DeChambeau mixed an eagle with two birdies and a bogey.

The pair traded eagles at the ninth and DeChambeau said his 39-foot putt led to him thinking about lifting the trophy.

"It's kind of interesting, on nine is when I first thought, 'Okay, this could be reality'," he said.

"I made that eagle, long eagle putt and I shocked myself by making it, too, and I thought to myself, I could do it. And then immediately after, I said, 'Nope, you've got to focus on each and every hole', and I just kept throughout the course of the back nine telling myself, 'Nope, we've got three more holes, we've got four more holes, we've got five more holes', whatever it was.

"I just had to keep focused, making sure I was executing every shot to the best I possibly could."

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.