Wolff expects to be 'a little antsy' in U.S. Open final round

By Sports Desk September 19, 2020

Matthew Wolff expects to be "a little antsy" to begin the final round after moving into the lead at the U.S. Open.

Wolff, 21, carded a record-equalling five-under 65 at Winged Foot on Saturday to open up a two-stroke lead in New York.

The American, whose round matched the 65 Justin Thomas shot on Thursday for the lowest in a U.S. Open at Winged Foot, is on track to become the first tournament debutant to win the major since 1913.

A one-time winner on the PGA Tour, Wolff also gave up a three-stroke lead after the third round at the Rocket Mortgage Classic in July with Bryson DeChambeau – who is second at the U.S. Open – winning the tournament.

Wolff expects nerves in the final round again in what is just his second appearance at a major.

"I bet you I'm probably going to be a little antsy. It's the U.S. Open, and I have a lead," he told reporters.

"I'm going to try to keep my nerves as calm as they can be, and like I said, relax tonight, not really try to think about it. I put myself in a really good spot. I did everything that I could do up until this point, and tomorrow I'm going to go out there, I promise you I'm going to try my best, and if I come out on top or not, it is what it is.

"But right now I'm just looking to go have a good time, and it's just golf. Even though it is the U.S. Open, there's a lot of things in life that are a little different right now, and in the world you can see how many things are affecting us.

"And even though it would be unbelievable to add my name to a U.S. Open trophy, I think that the most important thing is realising everything that's going on and the people that I'm close with are … there's some things happening with that. Not anything that has to do with me, but my agent, John, is struggling right now with his health, and I've been thinking about him a lot out there. He doesn't want anyone to feel bad for him, but like I said, it just puts things in perspective. And I'm going to go out there, try to make him proud and go have a good time."

Wolff blitzed the front nine at Winged Foot with five birdies, and he managed his round despite hitting just two of 14 fairways.

Asked what was working well, Wolff said: "Everything. I think my putting was by far the best it's felt in the last two or three months. I feel like I'm really hitting the ball well.

"My irons were really good, and even though I only hit two fairways, my driver was – it was just barely off, but that's the U.S. Open.

"I feel like even though I missed the fairway, there was a lot of times I was in that graduated rough that's a little shorter, and I feel like yesterday the difference was I was in the really long stuff.

"Like I said, I felt really good with all parts of my game, and I'm just excited to be where I'm at and look forward to tomorrow."

Related items

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

  • Burrowes shoots final-round 69 in dominant JGA Heroes Weekend Classic victory Burrowes shoots final-round 69 in dominant JGA Heroes Weekend Classic victory

    Justin Burrowes followed up his 68 on Saturday with a one-under-par 69 on Sunday to win the 2020 the JGA Heroes Weekend Golf Classic at Constant Spring Golf Club. 

     Burrowes, who was the only golfer to post under-par scores in the tournament, finished with a combined score of 137 for the tournament and was 10 strokes clear of runner-up and last year’s champion Sean Morris.

     "Today (Sunday) was pretty good again.  I shot one under, one worse than yesterday (Saturday) but still pretty good,” he said after Sunday’s triumph.

     “I played solid today for the most part.  I had one bogey today which was pretty good.  I am just happy to be able to follow up yesterday's round with another good round today and finish off with the victory.  I am very happy about that.”

     He did concede that the victory was not as easy as the scoreboard suggested.

     “The course again was not playing easy at all.  It was playing a little longer today, I found.  The air was a little more dense so it played a little longer but still I was just happy to be go out there and shoot another under par round and come out with the victory so I am just overall happy with out I played," he said.

     Runner-up Sean Morris posted scores 73 and 74 to end on 147 overall while third-placed Dr. Mark Newnham had a good second day after posting a 74 to go along with his first day score of 81 for a total score of 155.

     The Ladies winner, Jodi Munn-Barrow replicated her first-round score of 74 for a final score of 148 and was happy with how she played.

     "I ended with the same score as yesterday, 74, again today so I am pleased with it.  I actually finished better than I did yesterday so I am happy about that.  My game was fairly solid,” she said.

     “The course still played very hard and challenging so overall. I am quite pleased with the result of the two days.  I just have to keep focusing and practicing and looking forward to the next tournament." 

    In the Men & Men Super Senior 7-12 handicap, Philip Gooden 158 (74, 84) came out ahead of Metry Seaga 174 (89,85), while Aubyn Ferguson 198 (97, 101) won the Men & Men Senior 13-24 category. 

    The top three in the Men Super Senior 0-12 category were Dr. Guyan Arscott 162 (81,81); Carlyle Husson 164 (82, 82) and Michael Richards 177 91, 86).

     

    The other Men Super Senior category (13-24) saw Larry Stewart scoring 187 (94, 93), Howard McKenzie at 192 (95, 97) and George Wright 199 (102, 97)

     

    Among the juniors, Sebastian Azan 169 (84, 85) topped the 14-15 age group ahead of Matthew Grant 171 (87, 84) while the 11-13 category went to Aaron Ghosh 179 (92, 87)

     

    On the female side, Samantha Azan 169 (85, 84) was the only junior player.  She played in the 11-13 age group.

     

    Forty golfers competed in the classic this year under Covid-19 protocols and players submitted scores via a specially designed app.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.