McIlroy hoping Boston return can 'ignite' season

By Sports Desk August 19, 2020

Rory McIlroy hopes returning to Boston can "ignite" his year, starting at the Northern Trust.

McIlroy has four top-10 finishes in 10 events this year, but none have come since the PGA Tour season resumed in June amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Northern Irishman is a two-time winner at TPC Boston, claiming the Deutsche Bank Championship in 2012 and 2016.

McIlroy hopes being back in Massachusetts can get his year going as the FedEx Cup play-offs begin.

"The play-offs are always an exciting time of the year and exciting stage of the season. It's nice to be up there even though I haven't had the best few weeks from coming back from lockdown," he told a news conference.

"I'm still right in there. I'm in the top 10 and feel like if I can get something going here over the next few weeks, I've got a great chance going into East Lake.

"This is usually a time of year where I've historically played pretty well and Boston's a place and a golf course where I've got some nice history, so hopefully that can ignite something for me this week and I can get on a good little run of golf coming up."

McIlroy has finished outside the top 30 at his past three events, including at the US PGA Championship.

The world number three said he needed to change his approach heading into the final stages of the 2019-20 season.

"It's how you react and respond to certain things. I've got this nice quote that I got from someone last week, and it's like let, don't let your golf influence your attitude; let your attitude influence your golf," McIlroy said.

"That's where I've been sort of a little crossed recently where I've been letting my golf influence my attitude on the course instead of the other way around, because if you go out there with a good attitude, that will hopefully help your golf game.

"I've sort of got those a little crossed the last few weeks and I think going out there with a bit of a better attitude, not being as reactive to misses or certain shots, will definitely be better for me going forward as we enter this big stretch of golf."

Related items

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

  • Burrowes shoots final-round 69 in dominant JGA Heroes Weekend Classic victory Burrowes shoots final-round 69 in dominant JGA Heroes Weekend Classic victory

    Justin Burrowes followed up his 68 on Saturday with a one-under-par 69 on Sunday to win the 2020 the JGA Heroes Weekend Golf Classic at Constant Spring Golf Club. 

     Burrowes, who was the only golfer to post under-par scores in the tournament, finished with a combined score of 137 for the tournament and was 10 strokes clear of runner-up and last year’s champion Sean Morris.

     "Today (Sunday) was pretty good again.  I shot one under, one worse than yesterday (Saturday) but still pretty good,” he said after Sunday’s triumph.

     “I played solid today for the most part.  I had one bogey today which was pretty good.  I am just happy to be able to follow up yesterday's round with another good round today and finish off with the victory.  I am very happy about that.”

     He did concede that the victory was not as easy as the scoreboard suggested.

     “The course again was not playing easy at all.  It was playing a little longer today, I found.  The air was a little more dense so it played a little longer but still I was just happy to be go out there and shoot another under par round and come out with the victory so I am just overall happy with out I played," he said.

     Runner-up Sean Morris posted scores 73 and 74 to end on 147 overall while third-placed Dr. Mark Newnham had a good second day after posting a 74 to go along with his first day score of 81 for a total score of 155.

     The Ladies winner, Jodi Munn-Barrow replicated her first-round score of 74 for a final score of 148 and was happy with how she played.

     "I ended with the same score as yesterday, 74, again today so I am pleased with it.  I actually finished better than I did yesterday so I am happy about that.  My game was fairly solid,” she said.

     “The course still played very hard and challenging so overall. I am quite pleased with the result of the two days.  I just have to keep focusing and practicing and looking forward to the next tournament." 

    In the Men & Men Super Senior 7-12 handicap, Philip Gooden 158 (74, 84) came out ahead of Metry Seaga 174 (89,85), while Aubyn Ferguson 198 (97, 101) won the Men & Men Senior 13-24 category. 

    The top three in the Men Super Senior 0-12 category were Dr. Guyan Arscott 162 (81,81); Carlyle Husson 164 (82, 82) and Michael Richards 177 91, 86).

     

    The other Men Super Senior category (13-24) saw Larry Stewart scoring 187 (94, 93), Howard McKenzie at 192 (95, 97) and George Wright 199 (102, 97)

     

    Among the juniors, Sebastian Azan 169 (84, 85) topped the 14-15 age group ahead of Matthew Grant 171 (87, 84) while the 11-13 category went to Aaron Ghosh 179 (92, 87)

     

    On the female side, Samantha Azan 169 (85, 84) was the only junior player.  She played in the 11-13 age group.

     

    Forty golfers competed in the classic this year under Covid-19 protocols and players submitted scores via a specially designed app.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.