Coronavirus: The Masters to be held behind closed doors in November

By Sports Desk August 12, 2020

The Masters will be held behind closed doors in November due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The tournament, which has been held in April every year since 1945, was postponed to November 9-15 due to the threat of COVID-19.

While the major is still due to take place this year, organisers have said the risks involved in terms of allowing visitors into Augusta are "simply too significant to overcome".

Ticket holders for 2020 will be guaranteed the same tickets for the tournament next year.

Augusta chairman Fred Ridley said in a statement: "Since our initial announcement to postpone the 2020 Masters, we have remained committed to a rescheduled tournament in November while continually examining how best to host a global sporting event amid this pandemic.

"As we have considered the issues facing us, the health and safety of everyone associated with the Masters always has been our first and most important priority.

"Throughout this process, we have consulted with health officials and a variety of subject matter experts. Ultimately, we determined that the potential risks of welcoming patrons and guests to our grounds in November are simply too significant to overcome.

"Even in the current circumstances, staging the Masters without patrons is deeply disappointing. The guests who come to Augusta each spring from around the world are a key component to making the tournament so special.

"Augusta National has the responsibility, however, to understand and accept the challenges associated with this virus and take the necessary precautions to conduct all aspects of the tournament in a safe manner. We look forward to the day when we can welcome all of our patrons back, hopefully in April 2021.

"We appreciate the support and patience of all those we serve – including the Augusta community, our corporate and broadcast partners and our friends in golf – as we continue to plan for this historic event."

Related items

  • Bayern star Gnabry tests positive for COVID-19 Bayern star Gnabry tests positive for COVID-19

    Serge Gnabry has tested positive for COVID-19 and faces a spell out of action for Bayern Munich.

    The winger will miss Wednesday's Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid and a string of domestic matches, though Bayern confirmed he was "doing well" and was "otherwise in good health."

    Former Arsenal youngster Gnabry was a key figure in the Bayern side which won the Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and Champions League treble last season.

    Bayern boss Hansi Flick has strong reserves in midfield and attack, but Gnabry's loss deals him a blow, given the Germany international is an established first-team regular.

    The club issued a statement that read: "Serge Gnabry, 25, has tested positive for COVID-19. The FC Bayern attacker is otherwise in good health and is self-isolating at home."

    In the Bundesliga alone, Gnabry scored 12 goals and had 10 assists in 2019-20, and he began this season with a hat-trick against Schalke.

    Gnabry was also highly influential in Europe last term, netting nine goals in 10 games.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.