Are you going to San Francisco? No, says Harrington, as he pulls out of US PGA Championship

By Sports Desk July 31, 2020

Former winner Padraig Harrington has pulled out of next week's US PGA Championship, saying it is a "prudent" move amid the COVID-19 crisis.

The 2008 champion said he would be remaining in Ireland rather than travelling to San Francisco for what will be the first major of the year.

Harrington, who has also twice triumphed at the Open Championship, has not played on the PGA Tour since it emerged from lockdown and will not make the trip to TPC Harding Park.

The 48-year-old's last top-10 finish on the US tour came in 2016 and he has missed the cut at five of the last six US PGA Championships.

The popular Irishman hopes to return to play in future editions of the major, with all past winners eligible for exemptions to compete.

Harrington said in a statement posted on Twitter: "After much deliberation, I have decided not to travel to next week's PGA Championship.

"As COVID-19 currently looks to be under control in Ireland, I am taking the prudent approach by following the guidelines and reducing the risk as much as possible by staying at home.

"I'm sure I'll be watching every shot on TV with great interest and hopefully I'll have many more years to play in the PGA Championship."

Related items

  • Stroll confirms COVID-19 positive test, clear for Portugal comeback Stroll confirms COVID-19 positive test, clear for Portugal comeback

    Lance Stroll has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 after missing the Eifel Grand Prix, though he is now feeling "100 per cent".

    The Racing Point driver felt unwell ahead of Saturday's practice session at the Nurburgring last time out, leading to him being replaced by Nico Hulkenberg for the remainder of the weekend.

    Stroll had returned a negative coronavirus result in the pre-race screening, yet that was not the case after undertaking a test on the Sunday evening, by which time he had returned home.

    Having isolated with what he described as "pretty mild" symptoms, the Canadian announced he is ready to return at the Portuguese Grand Prix this week after testing negative on Monday.

    "I just want to let everyone know that I recently tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel GP weekend," Stroll wrote in a statement posted on Instagram. "I am feeling 100 per cent and have since tested negative."

    Explaining how the situation unfolded during the Eifel Grand Prix, he added: "On Saturday morning I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed the FIA protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

    "I wasn't fit to race so I flew home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather I took a COVID test on Sunday evening.

    "The next day the results came back positive, so I stayed at home self-isolating for the next 10 days. Luckily, my symptoms were pretty mild.

    "I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative. I feel in great shape and I can't wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal."

    Stroll has managed 57 points so far in the rescheduled 2020 season, including finishing third at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza.

  • Wasps cleared to play in Premiership final against Exeter Chiefs Wasps cleared to play in Premiership final against Exeter Chiefs

    Wasps will take part in the Premiership final against Exeter Chiefs after the club reported no further coronavirus cases in the latest round of testing. 

    Having secured their place at Twickenham by defeating Bristol Bears in the semi-finals, Wasps' involvement in the game was put in doubt when 11 COVID-19 cases were confirmed among players and staff. 

    However, the Coventry-based club announced no further cases were discovered in tests on Tuesday, clearing them to play against Exeter. 

    The squad will return to training as they prepare for Saturday's big game, which will see the top two in the table at the end of the regular season go up against each other for the title.  

    Bristol had been on standby to step in at short notice, but a late change to the schedule will not now be required. 

    "I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to Premiership Rugby, the RFU, Public Health England and Public Health Warwickshire for their clarity and assistance throughout this whole process,” Stephen Vaughan, Wasps Group CEO, said. 

    "As a club, we are delighted that we can now take our rightful place in this Saturday's Premiership Rugby final. To all of our fans and well-wishers, thank you for your many messages of support, this final is for you!".

    Wasps have made it through to the final for the first time since 2017, when they lost 23-20 to the Chiefs after extra time.

    As for Exeter, this will be their fifth straight appearance in the showpiece fixture. The newly crowned Champions Cup winners have lost the last two, both to Saracens.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.