Westwood rules out playing in US PGA Championship due to coronavirus

By Sports Desk July 25, 2020

Lee Westwood will not play in the US PGA Championship next month as he is concerned "America doesn't take coronavirus as seriously as the rest of the world".

The lifting of a two-week quarantine for players and caddies upon arrival in the United States in order to compete on the PGA Tour will not tempt Westwood to cross the Atlantic.

Westwood has the option of entering a bio-secure bubble for the first major of the year, which will be staged behind closed doors at Harding Park, San Francisco from August 6-9.

The former world number one says he does not feel comfortable about the prospect of travelling to the USA, where there have been over four million confirmed COVID-19 cases and well in excess of 100,000 deaths.

"I'm concerned that America doesn't take coronavirus as seriously as the rest of the world," said the Englishman.

He added: "I still don't feel comfortable and I don't feel it is right to jump on a plane for 12 hours.

"I can control me not getting the virus and take all the measures I can, but somebody might pass it on. I don't really want to get ill with it and I'm slightly asthmatic.

"There are too many what ifs. If you take all of them into consideration, there is something wrong."

Westwood was speaking at the British Masters at Close House Golf Club on the outskirts of Newcastle upon Tyne, where he was the tournament host of the first full European Tour event since March.

Italian Renato Paratore won the event, which was staged without spectators, by three shots on Saturday.

Related items

  • Stroll confirms COVID-19 positive test, clear for Portugal comeback Stroll confirms COVID-19 positive test, clear for Portugal comeback

    Lance Stroll has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 after missing the Eifel Grand Prix, though he is now feeling "100 per cent".

    The Racing Point driver felt unwell ahead of Saturday's practice session at the Nurburgring last time out, leading to him being replaced by Nico Hulkenberg for the remainder of the weekend.

    Stroll had returned a negative coronavirus result in the pre-race screening, yet that was not the case after undertaking a test on the Sunday evening, by which time he had returned home.

    Having isolated with what he described as "pretty mild" symptoms, the Canadian announced he is ready to return at the Portuguese Grand Prix this week after testing negative on Monday.

    "I just want to let everyone know that I recently tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel GP weekend," Stroll wrote in a statement posted on Instagram. "I am feeling 100 per cent and have since tested negative."

    Explaining how the situation unfolded during the Eifel Grand Prix, he added: "On Saturday morning I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed the FIA protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

    "I wasn't fit to race so I flew home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather I took a COVID test on Sunday evening.

    "The next day the results came back positive, so I stayed at home self-isolating for the next 10 days. Luckily, my symptoms were pretty mild.

    "I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative. I feel in great shape and I can't wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal."

    Stroll has managed 57 points so far in the rescheduled 2020 season, including finishing third at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza.

  • Wasps cleared to play in Premiership final against Exeter Chiefs Wasps cleared to play in Premiership final against Exeter Chiefs

    Wasps will take part in the Premiership final against Exeter Chiefs after the club reported no further coronavirus cases in the latest round of testing. 

    Having secured their place at Twickenham by defeating Bristol Bears in the semi-finals, Wasps' involvement in the game was put in doubt when 11 COVID-19 cases were confirmed among players and staff. 

    However, the Coventry-based club announced no further cases were discovered in tests on Tuesday, clearing them to play against Exeter. 

    The squad will return to training as they prepare for Saturday's big game, which will see the top two in the table at the end of the regular season go up against each other for the title.  

    Bristol had been on standby to step in at short notice, but a late change to the schedule will not now be required. 

    "I would like to place on record my sincere thanks to Premiership Rugby, the RFU, Public Health England and Public Health Warwickshire for their clarity and assistance throughout this whole process,” Stephen Vaughan, Wasps Group CEO, said. 

    "As a club, we are delighted that we can now take our rightful place in this Saturday's Premiership Rugby final. To all of our fans and well-wishers, thank you for your many messages of support, this final is for you!".

    Wasps have made it through to the final for the first time since 2017, when they lost 23-20 to the Chiefs after extra time.

    As for Exeter, this will be their fifth straight appearance in the showpiece fixture. The newly crowned Champions Cup winners have lost the last two, both to Saracens.

  • Bayern star Gnabry tests positive for COVID-19 Bayern star Gnabry tests positive for COVID-19

    Serge Gnabry has tested positive for COVID-19 and faces a spell out of action for Bayern Munich.

    The winger will miss Wednesday's Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid and a string of domestic matches, though Bayern confirmed he was "doing well" and was "otherwise in good health."

    Former Arsenal youngster Gnabry was a key figure in the Bayern side which won the Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and Champions League treble last season.

    Bayern boss Hansi Flick has strong reserves in midfield and attack, but Gnabry's loss deals him a blow, given the Germany international is an established first-team regular.

    The club issued a statement that read: "Serge Gnabry, 25, has tested positive for COVID-19. The FC Bayern attacker is otherwise in good health and is self-isolating at home."

    In the Bundesliga alone, Gnabry scored 12 goals and had 10 assists in 2019-20, and he began this season with a hat-trick against Schalke.

    Gnabry was also highly influential in Europe last term, netting nine goals in 10 games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.