Tiger Woods reacts to Justin Thomas jibe, says PGA Tour return is 'a risk I'm willing to take'

By Sports Desk July 14, 2020

Tiger Woods insisted he was "excited" to return to golf as he laughed off claims from close friend Justin Thomas that he was "scared" to return to the tour.

The 15-time major winner spoke on Tuesday, two days ahead of the Memorial Tournament getting under way.

He said golf would feel like "a different world", with "nothing to feed off" given the absence of spectators, and vowed he would go all out for victory this weekend.

But Woods also admitted his instinct when golf returned was to "stay at home and be safe", and see how early events panned out, given the threat posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said that physically he feels in great shape, having been struggling fitness-wise earlier in the year, and revealed he had been playing plenty of tennis at home, watching lots of television and reading books by his favourite author Dean Koontz.

Woods, 44, has weighed up the safety elements of playing competitive sport again, given the possibility of contagion, and said: "That's the risk that I'm taking, that's the risk all of us are taking.

"The tour's done a fantastic job of setting up the safety and trying to make sure all of us are protected, are safe.

"But it is a risk we are now undertaking - going outside your property and being around individuals who you don't know where they've been or what they've been doing.

"We've had to make adjustments but it's a risk that I'm willing to take."

Woods was out on the Ohio course early on Tuesday with Thomas, who playfully had suggested golf's greatest player of the past 30 years was hiding away.

"I got a bunch of texts and a bunch of calls when he said that and hence I'm out here," Woods said, laughing.

"So I'm not afraid of JT anymore, I've gotten over that, and here we are."

He said it would be strange to play without "the noise, the energy that people bring".

"It's silence and a different world," he added. "Even at college I had a few people following me."

The PGA Tour has been up and running since mid-June, and last week's Workday Charity Open tournament took place at the same Muirfield Village course that will host the Memorial Tournament.

Woods clearly gave thought to playing from the off, but was wary of how the resumption might pan out.

"I did consider playing - I tried to figure out if I should play or not," he said. "I just felt it was better to stay at home and be safe.

"I'm used to playing with lots of people around me and having lots of people having a direct line to me. That puts not only myself in danger but my friends and family.

"I feel I'm comfortable enough to come out and play again and I'm excited to do it."

Now comes the question of whether Woods can be competitive, having not played since finishing last among those who made the cut at the Genesis Invitational in February.

"I would like to say that I'm going to win the event. That's my intent going in here and going into every event," Woods said.

"Whether that plays out... hopefully that will be the case."

Related items

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

  • Burrowes shoots final-round 69 in dominant JGA Heroes Weekend Classic victory Burrowes shoots final-round 69 in dominant JGA Heroes Weekend Classic victory

    Justin Burrowes followed up his 68 on Saturday with a one-under-par 69 on Sunday to win the 2020 the JGA Heroes Weekend Golf Classic at Constant Spring Golf Club. 

     Burrowes, who was the only golfer to post under-par scores in the tournament, finished with a combined score of 137 for the tournament and was 10 strokes clear of runner-up and last year’s champion Sean Morris.

     "Today (Sunday) was pretty good again.  I shot one under, one worse than yesterday (Saturday) but still pretty good,” he said after Sunday’s triumph.

     “I played solid today for the most part.  I had one bogey today which was pretty good.  I am just happy to be able to follow up yesterday's round with another good round today and finish off with the victory.  I am very happy about that.”

     He did concede that the victory was not as easy as the scoreboard suggested.

     “The course again was not playing easy at all.  It was playing a little longer today, I found.  The air was a little more dense so it played a little longer but still I was just happy to be go out there and shoot another under par round and come out with the victory so I am just overall happy with out I played," he said.

     Runner-up Sean Morris posted scores 73 and 74 to end on 147 overall while third-placed Dr. Mark Newnham had a good second day after posting a 74 to go along with his first day score of 81 for a total score of 155.

     The Ladies winner, Jodi Munn-Barrow replicated her first-round score of 74 for a final score of 148 and was happy with how she played.

     "I ended with the same score as yesterday, 74, again today so I am pleased with it.  I actually finished better than I did yesterday so I am happy about that.  My game was fairly solid,” she said.

     “The course still played very hard and challenging so overall. I am quite pleased with the result of the two days.  I just have to keep focusing and practicing and looking forward to the next tournament." 

    In the Men & Men Super Senior 7-12 handicap, Philip Gooden 158 (74, 84) came out ahead of Metry Seaga 174 (89,85), while Aubyn Ferguson 198 (97, 101) won the Men & Men Senior 13-24 category. 

    The top three in the Men Super Senior 0-12 category were Dr. Guyan Arscott 162 (81,81); Carlyle Husson 164 (82, 82) and Michael Richards 177 91, 86).

     

    The other Men Super Senior category (13-24) saw Larry Stewart scoring 187 (94, 93), Howard McKenzie at 192 (95, 97) and George Wright 199 (102, 97)

     

    Among the juniors, Sebastian Azan 169 (84, 85) topped the 14-15 age group ahead of Matthew Grant 171 (87, 84) while the 11-13 category went to Aaron Ghosh 179 (92, 87)

     

    On the female side, Samantha Azan 169 (85, 84) was the only junior player.  She played in the 11-13 age group.

     

    Forty golfers competed in the classic this year under Covid-19 protocols and players submitted scores via a specially designed app.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.