Coronavirus: No fans at 2020 US PGA Championship

By Sports Desk June 22, 2020

The 2020 US PGA Championship will take place on its rescheduled date in August without spectators present.

TPC Harding Park in San Francisco will host the first major of the year, which was initially postponed from its May 14 start, between August 6 and 9.

The City of San Francisco and the PGA of America made a joint announcement on Monday.

It was confirmed fans would not be able to attend to ensure "the health and well-being of all involved".

That came after the PGA closely consulted with the state of California and city and county of San Francisco, having initially hoped to allow patrons in.

Brooks Koepka is the defending US PGA champion. He won the tournament for a second consecutive year when he triumphed at Bethpage Black in May 2019.

The rescheduled event will come before the U.S. Open, which was moved to September, while the Masters was switched to November and the Open Championship was cancelled.

"We are both inspired and honoured to play on," said PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh. 

"In doing so, we will spotlight not only the beauty of TPC Harding Park, but the fortitude of San Francisco and its remarkable people.

"We'd like to thank the state of California and the city and county of San Francisco for being terrific partners in helping us get to this place.

"While the local community cannot be with us physically on-site, we will certainly carry their spirit of resilience and unity with us as we stage our major championship, on their behalf, for all the world to see and enjoy."

The PGA Tour has held two events behind closed doors since restarting amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Daniel Berger and Webb Simpson triumphed at the Charles Schwab Challenge and RBC Heritage respectively.

Nick Watney withdrew from the RBC Heritage after only one round when he became the first PGA Tour player to receive a positive test result for COVID-19.

The Tour confirmed on Saturday they had tested 11 people who had been in close contact with him, with all results coming back negative.

This week's Travelers Championship will be the first of a further three events taking place behind closed doors.

There are then plans for a limited number of fans to attend for the first time since lockdown when the Memorial Tournament is held in Ohio from July 16.

Related items

  • Thomas addresses ending of Ralph Lauren partnership: 'Embarrassing' use of slur is 'not me' Thomas addresses ending of Ralph Lauren partnership: 'Embarrassing' use of slur is 'not me'

    Justin Thomas insists his "embarrassing" and "humiliating" use of a homophobic slur is "not me" and reflected on Ralph Lauren's decision to stop working with him as a result of the incident.

    World number three Thomas was heard making the offensive comment by a television microphone when playing at the Tournament of Champions in Hawaii earlier this month.

    Afterwards, Thomas apologised for his "inexcusable" use of the slur and he again addressed the issue when previewing the Abu Dhabi Championship on the European Tour this weekend. 

    "It's humiliating. It's embarrassing. It's not me. It's not a word that I use, but for some reason, it was in there," Thomas said. 

    "And that's what I'm trying to figure out as to why it was in there, and just like I said, it's going to be a part of this process and training program or whatever I need to do, not only to prove to myself but prove to my sponsors and prove to those people that don't know who I am that that is indeed not the person I am."

    Thomas will be playing without shirt branding in Abu Dhabi after Ralph Lauren opted to end its partnership with the 27-year-old.

    Asked about the company's decision, Thomas replied: "I think disappointed is the wrong word. 

    "Obviously I was upset. But at the end of the day, they have that right. They had to make the decision that they had to make. I spoke with them along with all my sponsors. 

    "Although I apologised, it's like it was then; it's an opportunity for me to grow and I felt like it was something we could have done together and gone through that process. 

    "They just felt like they needed to move on. That's exactly what I'm doing, as well. It was a great run that we had and a great partnership, but you know, things will work out on the best."

    Thomas confirmed conversations have been held with his other sponsors, adding: "I've had great communication with all of them. 

    "It was obviously not calls or e-mails I was hoping or planning to make but I needed to because I have some great long-lasting partnerships with all my sponsors. They know that's not the person that I am.

    "They know that's not how I act and although they are far from brushing it to the side just like I am, they understand that this is an opportunity for me to educate myself, grow, become a better person, and just like they hope, I know that I'll become a better man and a better person because of it, and they are going to kind of help me along that process."

    Thomas earned the backing of Rory McIlroy, who is confident his on-course rival will learn from his error in judgement.

    "I think he's already responded really, really well," the four-time major winner said. 

    "I think he realised he made a big mistake as soon as it was brought to him and he completely owned up to it. He said he messed up; he's going to try to be better. 

    "And you know, Justin is true to his word. He will be. If anything, it will probably just make him a better person than he already is, which is hard because he's already a great guy."

  • Tiger Woods undergoes fifth back surgery Tiger Woods undergoes fifth back surgery

    Tiger Woods has undergone back surgery for the fifth time in his career.

    The former world number one and 15-time major winner confirmed he received a microdiscectomy procedure in a short statement released via his Twitter account, with discomfort experienced during the PNC Championship in December bringing about the intervention.

    The surgery was deemed to have been successful, although Woods will not compete at the Farmers Insurance Open later this month or February's Genesis Invitational, where he will still carry out his duties as tournament host.

    All eyes will now be on whether the 45-year-old can battle back from yet another injury setback to compete at The Masters, which starts at Augusta on April 8.

  • Na wins Sony Open in Hawaii after final-hole birdie Na wins Sony Open in Hawaii after final-hole birdie

    Kevin Na birdied the final hole to win the Sony Open in Hawaii by one stroke on Sunday.

    The American carded a five-under 65 in the final round at Waialae Country Club, finishing a stroke clear of Chris Kirk (65) and Joaquin Niemann (66).

    Na made a short birdie putt after producing a great chip on the final hole, the birdie sending him to 21 under and victory.

    It marked his fifth PGA Tour win and fourth in two and a half years.

    "It's a nice feeling. I know it's a Ryder Cup year, it's all positives. I feel great," Na told a news conference after his win.

    "It's four seasons in a row I've won, it's a great feeling, nice to get it done early but I'd like to win another one before the season is over."

    Behind Kirk and Niemann were Webb Simpson (64), Marc Leishman (65) and overnight leader Brendan Steele (69).

    Niemann, who lost a play-off at the Tournament of Champions last week, finished second for the second straight week.

    The last player to finish second in back-to-back weeks on the PGA Tour was Simpson in 2019.

    Patton Kizzire (64), Collin Morikawa (64), Billy Horschel (65) and Daniel Berger (66) finished tied for seventh at 18 under.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.