Coronavirus: McIlroy, Koepka both near Watney before positive test

By Sports Desk June 19, 2020

Rory McIlroy and Brooks Koepka revealed they had both been around Nick Watney before the American's positive test for coronavirus.

Watney withdrew from the RBC Heritage before the second round on Friday after returning a positive test for COVID-19.

McIlroy, who is tied for 45th at five under, said he had exchanged texts with Watney after the pair were on the putting green together.

"Nick texted me actually because we had a chat on the putting green before I went out to play, but we were at a distance," the world number one said.

"He was just saying, 'Look, I hope I didn't get too close to you.' He feels badly that he was here today at the golf course. I said, 'It's fine, you never know.' I said to him, 'If I was in your position, I probably would have been here too. Look, at this point, you just have to concentrate on getting better and getting healthy.'

"But it sucks for him especially. You know, if you contract it, that's fine, but then it's the fact that who have you come into contact with, and who you might have exposed and stuff.

"Look, we're still in the middle of a pandemic. It's not as if this thing is over, so we all just have to stay vigilant and keep our distance and wear our masks if we're going out in public and keep washing our hands."

Koepka, who carded a five-under 66 to be three shots behind leader Webb Simpson, said he too had spent time with Watney before his round.

"I found out when we were playing 17, I think Daniel Berger told me," he said.

"I don't know too much about it, but I saw him this morning. I was right next to him in the parking lot."

There have been more than 8.7 million confirmed cases of coronavirus, with the death toll exceeding 462,000.

Related items

  • Thomas addresses ending of Ralph Lauren partnership: 'Embarrassing' use of slur is 'not me' Thomas addresses ending of Ralph Lauren partnership: 'Embarrassing' use of slur is 'not me'

    Justin Thomas insists his "embarrassing" and "humiliating" use of a homophobic slur is "not me" and reflected on Ralph Lauren's decision to stop working with him as a result of the incident.

    World number three Thomas was heard making the offensive comment by a television microphone when playing at the Tournament of Champions in Hawaii earlier this month.

    Afterwards, Thomas apologised for his "inexcusable" use of the slur and he again addressed the issue when previewing the Abu Dhabi Championship on the European Tour this weekend. 

    "It's humiliating. It's embarrassing. It's not me. It's not a word that I use, but for some reason, it was in there," Thomas said. 

    "And that's what I'm trying to figure out as to why it was in there, and just like I said, it's going to be a part of this process and training program or whatever I need to do, not only to prove to myself but prove to my sponsors and prove to those people that don't know who I am that that is indeed not the person I am."

    Thomas will be playing without shirt branding in Abu Dhabi after Ralph Lauren opted to end its partnership with the 27-year-old.

    Asked about the company's decision, Thomas replied: "I think disappointed is the wrong word. 

    "Obviously I was upset. But at the end of the day, they have that right. They had to make the decision that they had to make. I spoke with them along with all my sponsors. 

    "Although I apologised, it's like it was then; it's an opportunity for me to grow and I felt like it was something we could have done together and gone through that process. 

    "They just felt like they needed to move on. That's exactly what I'm doing, as well. It was a great run that we had and a great partnership, but you know, things will work out on the best."

    Thomas confirmed conversations have been held with his other sponsors, adding: "I've had great communication with all of them. 

    "It was obviously not calls or e-mails I was hoping or planning to make but I needed to because I have some great long-lasting partnerships with all my sponsors. They know that's not the person that I am.

    "They know that's not how I act and although they are far from brushing it to the side just like I am, they understand that this is an opportunity for me to educate myself, grow, become a better person, and just like they hope, I know that I'll become a better man and a better person because of it, and they are going to kind of help me along that process."

    Thomas earned the backing of Rory McIlroy, who is confident his on-course rival will learn from his error in judgement.

    "I think he's already responded really, really well," the four-time major winner said. 

    "I think he realised he made a big mistake as soon as it was brought to him and he completely owned up to it. He said he messed up; he's going to try to be better. 

    "And you know, Justin is true to his word. He will be. If anything, it will probably just make him a better person than he already is, which is hard because he's already a great guy."

  • Tiger Woods undergoes fifth back surgery Tiger Woods undergoes fifth back surgery

    Tiger Woods has undergone back surgery for the fifth time in his career.

    The former world number one and 15-time major winner confirmed he received a microdiscectomy procedure in a short statement released via his Twitter account, with discomfort experienced during the PNC Championship in December bringing about the intervention.

    The surgery was deemed to have been successful, although Woods will not compete at the Farmers Insurance Open later this month or February's Genesis Invitational, where he will still carry out his duties as tournament host.

    All eyes will now be on whether the 45-year-old can battle back from yet another injury setback to compete at The Masters, which starts at Augusta on April 8.

  • Premier League announces fall in new COVID-19 cases as 16 test positive Premier League announces fall in new COVID-19 cases as 16 test positive

    The Premier League has announced 16 new positive cases from its most recent two rounds of coronavirus testing - a fall of 20 from the number of players and members of club staff who tested positive the previous week.

    Due to a rise in infection rates across the league and in the United Kingdom at large, the Premier League ramped up testing to twice weekly between January 4-10, when there were 36 positives.

    Across the two rounds carried out between January 11-17, there were 16 positives from 3,115 tests.

    That amounts to an infection rate of 0.5 per cent, down from the rate of 1.39 per cent the previous week, when there were 2,593 tests.

    Clubs received updated guidance from the Premier League this week, reminding them that "unnecessary contact" between players such as "handshakes, high fives and hugging" should be avoided, following government criticism of goal celebrations.

    Aston Villa's games against Tottenham and Everton were called off over the past week following a COVID-19 outbreak that forced them to close their Bodymoor Heath training ground.

    Villa are due to return to action at Manchester City on Wednesday, but Leeds United's scheduled meeting with Southampton on the same day will not take place.

    Southampton will instead face Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup third round, with the initial fixture earlier this month postponed due to a number of coronavirus cases at the League One club, with their manager Steve Cotterill remaining in hospital.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.