Sean Morris tops the field at Independence Golf Classic

By August 05, 2019

Steady and consistent play helped land Sean Morris the Jamaica Golf Association’s Independence Golf Classic that concluded at the Sandals Golf and Country Club in Ocho Rios on the weekend.

Morris shot a two-under-par 69 on Saturday and a one-over-par 72 on Sunday to claim the title from the 2018 champion Romaine Evans, who shot scores of 73 and 70, respectively, to finish second.

Finishing third was Mark Newnham with a score of 148 having scored of 73 and 75 over the two days.

"I was really comfy on the first day, executing shots with a fair amount of confidence as I had been preparing for this tournament. The Sandals golf course has very small greens which makes it a more difficult track to post good scores,” said Morris, who was the only golfer to come in under-par for the tournament.

“I shot 69 on day one and I felt good going into round two.  I played steady on the front nine making the turn at one-under-par but lost concentration and had three bogies in a row.

“I knew that it would be a tall ask to defeat Evans at home so the win was a good one for me.  There is also a feel-good feeling to be competitive and top the charts."

 Sally Roper topped the Ladies section with a score of 180. Diane Hudson was second with 181 while Novelette Maestrini was third with a score of 188.

 The Men’s Senior with handicap 7-12 went to Rodino Lobban (161). Ray Lee shot a 166 for second place while former Cricket West Indies President Dave Cameron was third having shot a combined 172 over the two days.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: R&A admits postponement is an option for The Open Coronavirus: R&A admits postponement is an option for The Open
  • Coronavirus: Team Europe captain Harrington determined for Ryder Cup to go ahead Coronavirus: Team Europe captain Harrington determined for Ryder Cup to go ahead

    Padraig Harrington insists the Ryder Cup must go ahead if possible and Europe's captain said he will pick all 12 players if that is what it takes for the event to take place.

    The coronavirus pandemic has decimated the sporting calendar, with the PGA and European Tours suspended.

    Both the Masters and US PGA Championship have already been postponed, while it remains to be seen if the U.S. Open and The Open will go ahead.

    Qualifying for the Ryder Cup has been compromised as a result and some have called for the September event to be put back by a year.

    However, Harrington says the show must go on at Whistling Straits if the situation has improved enough by then.

    "We're playing on, if at all possible, because the merit of getting out there and showcasing our sport far outweighs a perfect qualifying system," he told Sportsmail.

    "It wouldn't worry me if we were the first tournament back and I had to go with 12 picks with no qualifying. In many ways, it would be perfect if the Ryder Cup was the first tournament back. 

    "Just 12 guys from Europe and 12 from America, with no prize money at stake and competing just for the glory? Wouldn't that be a nice way for sport to start back?

    "I look at it this way. Imagine if they showed a live game from the National League in football on television tonight. The whole of Britain and Ireland would be watching.

    "That's the power of live sport, and how much we're missing it. Multiply that by so many times and you get to the scale of the Ryder Cup. 

    "Don't we have a duty and a responsibility to try to hold it? Qualifying can always be sorted out.

    "I'm a reasonable person when it comes to preparing for all eventualities but how could you have foreseen anything so horrifying?

    "We've got all our different scenarios but none of them really add up to anything important in the real world. But we go on, and we're trying to be ready. If we can play, we'll be there, and I know the PGA of America are on the same page."

    Harrington also offered his thoughts on what will happen with this season's majors, adding: "I have an inside track regarding the Ryder Cup and I can tell you our date is set in stone and the other authorities are working around us. 

    "But I'm not privy to other details. If you're asking me as a pro, I'd say the Open will move from July to a later date rather than be cancelled, and there must be a strong chance there will be two majors played back-to-back."

  • Tiger v Mickelson II? Phil says he's working on it Tiger v Mickelson II? Phil says he's working on it

    Phil Mickelson hinted at another showdown with superstar Tiger Woods, claiming he was "working on it".

    Mickelson landed $9million in prize money after defeating arch-rival Woods on the fourth play-off hole of 'The Match' in 2018.

    The big-money two-man clash in Las Vegas attracted plenty of attention over the Thanksgiving weekend.

    With the PGA Tour on hiatus until at least the end of May due to the coronavirus pandemic, fans are desperate for their sport fix.

    One golf supporter asked Mickelson on Twitter: "Do you think there is a chance you two go play a round mic'd up with one camera guy and just put it out there on a stream for people to watch?? We need live sports".

    In response, five-time major champion Mickelson replied: "Working on it".

    "I don't tease. I'm kinda a sure thing," Mickelson said when pressed on whether he was being serious.

    It remains to be seen whether Mickelson was referring to a second instalment of 'The Match' or something different to help fill the void amid the COVID-19 crisis.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.