Tiger Woods favourite for U.S. Open, says Nicklaus

By Sports Desk June 10, 2019

Tiger Woods is the favourite to win this week's U.S. Open, according to Jack Nicklaus.

Golf's third major of the year begins at Pebble Beach on Thursday, with Woods among the top contenders after winning the Masters in April, ending an 11-year major drought to claim his 15th.

Victory for the 43-year-old would see him tie Nicklaus and three other players on a record four U.S. Open crowns.

He is now only three overall majors adrift of Nicklaus, who thinks the gap could become two at the venue where Woods won the same tournament by 15 strokes back in 2000. 

"I would think Tiger [Woods]," Nicklaus told Sky Sports when asked who was the favourite this week.

"Tiger won there by a million the last time he won and he grew up around that area.

"He is smart, so knows how to play there, so I think Tiger will play well.

"But a lot of the guys are playing well too, so it will be a good tournament."

Nicklaus warned all the players they would have to be on guard at a course where you can quickly find yourself in trouble, as Brooks Koepka looks to defend his 2018 title and add to his US PGA Championship won last month.

"Pebble is not a long golf course," added Nicklaus. "Length is not the big issue there, the issue is being smart and not putting yourself in a position where [you can have] a double-bogey - it happens real quickly at Pebble Beach.

"You have to put yourself in a position to take advantage of a hole when you can. 

"The greens are tough to make putts on, but the guys have played a lot there and understand a little bit about what goes on there.

"If I had one round of golf to play that that's where I've always said that where I would want to go, so obviously I love Pebble Beach too. I won the Amateur there and quite a few other things, so it has had a special place in my heart."

Woods finished in a tie for ninth at the Memorial Tournament in his last outing a week ago.

Related items

  • Open champion Lowry withdraws from St. Jude Invitational Open champion Lowry withdraws from St. Jude Invitational

    Open champion Shane Lowry has withdrawn from the St. Jude Invitational.

    Lowry ended his wait for a maiden major title with a stunning performance at Royal Portrush, winning by six strokes.

    Following his achievement at the links course in Northern Ireland, the 32-year-old has opted to skip this week's PGA Tour event.

    Lowry's win saw him move up to 18th in the FedEx Cup standings but, by withdrawing from the field at TPC Southwind, he forfeits the chance to move further up the leaderboard.

    Brooks Koepka, who finished tied fourth at Portrush, leads the way going into the St. Jude.

    Dustin Johnson won by six strokes in Memphis last year.

  • Player expects McIlroy to learn from Open disappointment Player expects McIlroy to learn from Open disappointment

    Gary Player is backing Rory McIlroy to bounce back from his desperately disappointing display at the Open Championship, believing the Northern Irishman will learn from the experience.

    Much was expected of home hopeful McIlroy at Royal Portrush last week, but a quadruple bogey at the first set the tone for a miserable opening round as he carded a 79.

    Despite a recovery on Friday, the four-time major champion fell one stroke short of the cut line and bowed out before the weekend.

    But while a lot has been said and written about McIlroy's dismal start and end to his first 18 - finishing with a triple bogey at the last - Player sees another lesson in the day's play.

    McIlroy three-putted from inside five feet for a double bogey at 16 and, had he kept his composure, victory would still have been a possibility, according to three-time Open champion Player.

    Regardless, the South African sees McIlroy, still just 30, soon ending a wait for a major title that goes back to 2014.

    "When you're as prominent a player as Rory and something happens, everybody is quick to be critical, as people are in life," Player told Omnisport, speaking at The Berenberg Gary Player Invitational.

    "He learned a very good lesson, because he didn't buckle down on two short putts and missed them and then ended up missing the cut by one shot.

    "If he'd made the cut, he could have gone on to win the tournament because you're talking about one of the three most talented men in the world today. I'm a big Rory fan.

    "He made a mistake, so what? Is there anybody who plays golf that hasn't? No, I've never seen that happen.

    "He's won four majors already, which is remarkable. He just won the Canadian Open with 20-something [22] under par.

    "People are very quick to give an opinion. He'll go on to win a lot more majors and tournaments. He's tremendously talented."

  • Herman credits president after coming up trumps in Kentucky Herman credits president after coming up trumps in Kentucky

    Jim Herman revealed president Donald Trump should take some credit for his second PGA Tour victory at the Barbasol Championship.

    Herman had only made the cut in three of 19 tournaments this year but shot a magnificent third round of 62 on Saturday to put himself firmly in contention. 

    The 41-year-old, who received a call from the United States president during the event, went on to seal a one-shot victory in Kentucky after taking Trump's advice to switch putters.

    Herman, a former assistant professional at Trump National Bedminster in New Jersey, says the pep talks have helped to drive him on during his career.

    "He motivates me and puts me in a good spot." said the Cincinnati native.

    "I don't know what it is about him, but he gets me going in the right direction with golf.

    "I took his advice and put a new putter in play. Couldn't have putted any better this week."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.