My game is right where it needs to be - Woods confident ahead of U.S. Open

By Sports Desk June 01, 2019

Tiger Woods is confident in his form ahead of this month's U.S. Open, despite a frustrating third round at the Memorial Tournament.

Woods was four under through seven holes on Saturday, but he had to settle for a two-under 70 after starting the back nine poorly and dropping a shot at the last.

At four under through 54 holes, he is set to begin the final day well behind the leaders.

"I've never seen a round that lipped out more shots than today. It was unreal," the 15-time major champion was quoted as saying by Golf Channel.

Nevertheless, Woods is happy with how his game is trending ahead of the year's third major at Pebble Beach, which begins on June 13.

"My game is right where I feel like it needs to be," said.Woods, who won the Masters in April.

"I hit a lot of good shots the last three days here and haven't really scored like I've hit the golf ball."

Related items

  • Open champion Lowry withdraws from St. Jude Invitational Open champion Lowry withdraws from St. Jude Invitational

    Open champion Shane Lowry has withdrawn from the St. Jude Invitational.

    Lowry ended his wait for a maiden major title with a stunning performance at Royal Portrush, winning by six strokes.

    Following his achievement at the links course in Northern Ireland, the 32-year-old has opted to skip this week's PGA Tour event.

    Lowry's win saw him move up to 18th in the FedEx Cup standings but, by withdrawing from the field at TPC Southwind, he forfeits the chance to move further up the leaderboard.

    Brooks Koepka, who finished tied fourth at Portrush, leads the way going into the St. Jude.

    Dustin Johnson won by six strokes in Memphis last year.

  • Player expects McIlroy to learn from Open disappointment Player expects McIlroy to learn from Open disappointment

    Gary Player is backing Rory McIlroy to bounce back from his desperately disappointing display at the Open Championship, believing the Northern Irishman will learn from the experience.

    Much was expected of home hopeful McIlroy at Royal Portrush last week, but a quadruple bogey at the first set the tone for a miserable opening round as he carded a 79.

    Despite a recovery on Friday, the four-time major champion fell one stroke short of the cut line and bowed out before the weekend.

    But while a lot has been said and written about McIlroy's dismal start and end to his first 18 - finishing with a triple bogey at the last - Player sees another lesson in the day's play.

    McIlroy three-putted from inside five feet for a double bogey at 16 and, had he kept his composure, victory would still have been a possibility, according to three-time Open champion Player.

    Regardless, the South African sees McIlroy, still just 30, soon ending a wait for a major title that goes back to 2014.

    "When you're as prominent a player as Rory and something happens, everybody is quick to be critical, as people are in life," Player told Omnisport, speaking at The Berenberg Gary Player Invitational.

    "He learned a very good lesson, because he didn't buckle down on two short putts and missed them and then ended up missing the cut by one shot.

    "If he'd made the cut, he could have gone on to win the tournament because you're talking about one of the three most talented men in the world today. I'm a big Rory fan.

    "He made a mistake, so what? Is there anybody who plays golf that hasn't? No, I've never seen that happen.

    "He's won four majors already, which is remarkable. He just won the Canadian Open with 20-something [22] under par.

    "People are very quick to give an opinion. He'll go on to win a lot more majors and tournaments. He's tremendously talented."

  • Herman credits president after coming up trumps in Kentucky Herman credits president after coming up trumps in Kentucky

    Jim Herman revealed president Donald Trump should take some credit for his second PGA Tour victory at the Barbasol Championship.

    Herman had only made the cut in three of 19 tournaments this year but shot a magnificent third round of 62 on Saturday to put himself firmly in contention. 

    The 41-year-old, who received a call from the United States president during the event, went on to seal a one-shot victory in Kentucky after taking Trump's advice to switch putters.

    Herman, a former assistant professional at Trump National Bedminster in New Jersey, says the pep talks have helped to drive him on during his career.

    "He motivates me and puts me in a good spot." said the Cincinnati native.

    "I don't know what it is about him, but he gets me going in the right direction with golf.

    "I took his advice and put a new putter in play. Couldn't have putted any better this week."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.