Woods rues mixed second round at Memorial

By Sports Desk May 31, 2019

Tiger Woods felt he never got going during the second round of the Memorial Tournament on Friday.

After recovering from a bogey on his first hole, he bounced back with three birdies over the next 13 to move to two under for his round and four under for the tournament.

But thanks to a double-bogey seven at the par-five 15th, he finished even for his round at Muirfield Village to be seven shots adrift of leading trio Martin Kaymer, Troy Merritt and Lee Kyoung-hoon.

"This was kind of a mixed back," Woods said. "I didn't really get anything going today. I was just kind of plugging along and just wasn't able to get anything really going.

"I just wasn't able to make anything happen today."

Woods, who has won the Memorial five times, was playing relaxed despite the early hiccup and he continued to have success on the back nine by carding two birdies to briefly climb up to within five shots of the lead.

But that trouble at the 15th hole put a damper on his round and sent him right back to where he started the day. He was able to recover with three consecutive pars to close out his round.

He was inches away from chipping in from the rough on the par-four 18th but the ball stopped just short of the hole.

"I don't know how that ball didn't go in," Woods said with a smile.  

This is Woods' first start since the US PGA Championship, where he disappointingly missed the cut after a Masters win.

Related items

  • Lowry emerged from despair to become golf's Open king Lowry emerged from despair to become golf's Open king

    New Open champion Shane Lowry revealed he used to cry himself to sleep out of despair at his golf as he was welcomed home by thousands of fans and well-wishers in County Offaly.

    The 32-year-old returned to his home town of Clara on Tuesday, two days after becoming Ireland's latest major champion.

    The Clara GAA Club hosted the event as Lowry paraded the famous Claret Jug before celebrating into the night.

    The famous silverware has been dubbed locally as the 'Clara Jug', and a packed field of supporters included family and friends of Lowry.

    Speaking on stage, Lowry spoke of how his golfing career has not always been a success story, and it was wife Wendy's support that gave him strength to fight on.

    He said: "There's been a lot of ups and downs over the last few years and I went through a fairly rough patch that finished about 10 or 12 months ago.

    "People see all this and [they think] this is unbelievable and this is what it's like, but it's not really like this.

    "There's plenty of times when I've been at home in my house in Dublin and I've been crying myself to sleep. You don't know if you're good enough, you don't know if you can keep going.

    "When you have a good, strong woman behind you, it makes it a little bit easier."

  • Open champion Lowry withdraws from St. Jude Invitational Open champion Lowry withdraws from St. Jude Invitational

    Open champion Shane Lowry has withdrawn from the St. Jude Invitational.

    Lowry ended his wait for a maiden major title with a stunning performance at Royal Portrush, winning by six strokes.

    Following his achievement at the links course in Northern Ireland, the 32-year-old has opted to skip this week's PGA Tour event.

    Lowry's win saw him move up to 18th in the FedEx Cup standings but, by withdrawing from the field at TPC Southwind, he forfeits the chance to move further up the leaderboard.

    Brooks Koepka, who finished tied fourth at Portrush, leads the way going into the St. Jude.

    Dustin Johnson won by six strokes in Memphis last year.

  • Player expects McIlroy to learn from Open disappointment Player expects McIlroy to learn from Open disappointment

    Gary Player is backing Rory McIlroy to bounce back from his desperately disappointing display at the Open Championship, believing the Northern Irishman will learn from the experience.

    Much was expected of home hopeful McIlroy at Royal Portrush last week, but a quadruple bogey at the first set the tone for a miserable opening round as he carded a 79.

    Despite a recovery on Friday, the four-time major champion fell one stroke short of the cut line and bowed out before the weekend.

    But while a lot has been said and written about McIlroy's dismal start and end to his first 18 - finishing with a triple bogey at the last - Player sees another lesson in the day's play.

    McIlroy three-putted from inside five feet for a double bogey at 16 and, had he kept his composure, victory would still have been a possibility, according to three-time Open champion Player.

    Regardless, the South African sees McIlroy, still just 30, soon ending a wait for a major title that goes back to 2014.

    "When you're as prominent a player as Rory and something happens, everybody is quick to be critical, as people are in life," Player told Omnisport, speaking at The Berenberg Gary Player Invitational.

    "He learned a very good lesson, because he didn't buckle down on two short putts and missed them and then ended up missing the cut by one shot.

    "If he'd made the cut, he could have gone on to win the tournament because you're talking about one of the three most talented men in the world today. I'm a big Rory fan.

    "He made a mistake, so what? Is there anybody who plays golf that hasn't? No, I've never seen that happen.

    "He's won four majors already, which is remarkable. He just won the Canadian Open with 20-something [22] under par.

    "People are very quick to give an opinion. He'll go on to win a lot more majors and tournaments. He's tremendously talented."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.