Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury sign two-fight deal, says Hearn

By Sports Desk March 15, 2021

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have signed a two-fight deal to face each other for the undisputed heavyweight championship, promoter Eddie Hearn has announced.

British rivals Joshua and Fury have been in negotiations for several months to agree showdowns for the four major belts in boxing's glamour division.

Joshua (24-1, 22 KOs) holds the WBA, WBO and IBF belts, having successfully defended his title with a ninth-round stoppage of Kubrat Pulev at Wembley Arena in December.

Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs) sensationally dethroned Deontay Wilder to claim the WBC crown in February last year but has not boxed since.

A date and venue for the initial encounter are yet to be confirmed, although Hearn – who promotes Joshua under his Matchroom Sport banner – told ESPN on Monday that both parties put pen to paper over the weekend.

"We'd like to get a site deal confirmed in the next month," Hearn said.

"The hard part is always getting everybody to put pen to paper. But this was a major effort from all parties to get this over the line.

"You had rival promoters, rival networks and rival fighters."

The hurdles to overcome in getting to this point were not inconsiderable, with Fury working under a co-promotional deal with Frank Warren and Bob Arum's Top Rank, both of whom have rival broadcasting agreements to Hearn's contracts with Sky Sports in the UK and DAZN globally.

Fury's most recent bouts have been aired by BT Sport in his homeland and via ESPN in the United States.

The expectation of ongoing coronavirus restrictions makes the prospect of at least the first fight taking place on British soil feel far-fetched, with a return of heavyweight title boxing to the Middle East – where Joshua avenged his only career defeat against Andy Ruiz Jr with a December 2019 points win in Saudi Arabia – appearing most likely.

"I actually feel we've done the hard part," Hearn said. "Speaking for myself, Anthony and his team at 258 management, I know how hard we've worked hard these last couple of months and I just feel that this fight is so big it's not a difficult sell.

"We've already had approaches from eight or nine sites. The offers have come from multiple countries in the Middle East, from Asia, eastern Europe and America.

"This is the biggest fight in boxing and one of the biggest sporting events in the world. It will be a major, major win for a country that wants to showcase itself."

Some typically idiosyncratic interviews from Fury over recent days, where he stated he had no interest in boxing in the UK again, while claiming to have stopped training in favour of "concentrating on getting me 10 pints of Stella", appeared to cast some doubt upon the Joshua fights getting over the line – especially considering the 32-year-old's previously well-documented struggles with alcohol and depression.

"You never really know with Tyson," Hearn said. "It could be mind games. He could be having a bad day. He could be a little p***** off. Or he could be having a joke.

"One of the fascinations about this fight will be the build-up because they're two totally different characters, two totally different personalities. The mind games will be on another level for this fight. Tyson is very good at that.

"Anthony is excited by that. He's so pumped, so focused, he hasn't stopped training since the Pulev fight. He's like a caged lion. The build-up is going to be epic."

Related items

  • Denmark v Finland to resume with Christian Eriksen in 'awake' in hospital Denmark v Finland to resume with Christian Eriksen in 'awake' in hospital

    UEFA has confirmed Denmark's Euro 2020 fixture against Finland will be completed on Saturday after Christian Eriksen was described as "awake" and in a "stable condition" in hospital.

    The match was suspended shortly before half-time of the Group B fixture after Inter midfielder Eriksen collapsed to the ground with no one around him.

    Team-mates and referee Anthony Taylor called for immediate help from medical staff, with the players forming a protective barrier around Eriksen while efforts were made to resuscitate him.

    UEFA later said the match was suspended due to a "medical emergency", but positive news followed with the Danish Football Union stating Eriksen was conscious and set for "further examinations" after being taken to hospital.

    European football's governing body confirmed the fixture in Copenhagen would resume at 20:30 CET, while the other fixture in the pool between Belgium and Russia was also given the green light to take place at 21:00 CET.

    A statement from UEFA read: "The request made by players of both teams, UEFA has agreed to restart the match between Denmark and Finland tonight at 20:30 CET (TBC).

    "The match has been suspended due to a medical emergency which involved Denmark’s Christian Eriksen. The player in now in hospital and in a stable condition. UEFA wishes Christian Eriksen a full and speedy recovery and wishes to thank both teams for their exemplary attitude."

    UEFA said the remaining five minutes of the first half would take place, followed by a brief five-minutes for half-time, followed by the second half of the match.

    Eriksen was sent messages from around the football world on social media following the concerning incident.

    Former club Tottenham – where he spent six and a half years – posted on Twitter: "All of our thoughts are with Christian Eriksen and his family."

    Harry Kane played with Eriksen at Spurs and had been due to face the media alongside England manager Gareth Southgate on the eve of their meeting with Croatia at Wembley.

    The news conference was cancelled and the Football Association said: "Our thoughts this evening are with Christian Eriksen and his family, and all connected with the Danish Football Union."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Denmark v Finland to resume with Christian Eriksen in 'awake' in hospital BREAKING NEWS: Denmark v Finland to resume with Christian Eriksen in 'awake' in hospital

    UEFA has confirmed Denmark's Euro 2020 fixture against Finland will be completed on Saturday after Christian Eriksen was described as "awake" and in a "stable condition" in hospital.

  • PSG beat Barcelona to Wijnaldum capture PSG beat Barcelona to Wijnaldum capture

    Georginio Wijnaldum has agreed a deal to join Paris Saint-Germain despite looking poised to link up with Barcelona for several months.

    The Netherlands international has signed a three-year contract at Parc des Princes, with his salary said to have been increased dramatically by the Parisians.

    Wijnaldum joined Liverpool from Newcastle United in 2016 and quickly established himself as a key man for the Reds, only failing to appear in 11 Premier League matches over that five-year spell.

    Liverpool had tried to keep the 30-year-old but he acknowledged last month that the two parties had been unable to agree on a new contract.

    It seemed a given he would subsequently turn up at Barcelona, with transfer links between the two emerging as early as last year when Ronald Koeman replaced Quique Setien in August.

    He was expected to be Barca's third free transfer of the close season after Sergio Aguero and Eric Garcia, with Memphis Depay – who, like Wijnaldum, played under Koeman for the Oranje – expected to follow.

    But PSG have pulled off something of a coup, luring Wijnaldum to Paris as the club's patchy relationship with Barca is thrust into the spotlight again.

    Wijnaldum bolsters PSG's central midfield options that already include Idrissa Gueye, Leandro Paredes, Ander Herrera, Danilo Pereira and Marco Verratti.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.