Arum says agreement reached for Fury-Joshua fight

By Sports Desk March 03, 2021

Bob Arum says a deal for a blockbuster world heavyweight unification fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua has finally been agreed.

WBC champion Fury last month stated that he had grown tired of waiting for his next bout amid talks with Joshua's camp.

Joshua told Fury he was ready to fight him "in my back garden [or] your back garden".

A roadmap has been set up by coronavirus restrictions to be eased over the coming months in the United Kingdom, with social distancing rules potentially being lifted on June 21.

That could make an all-British battle a possibility on home soil in June and although Arum could not provide details, Fury's promoter believes an agreement has been reached.

"As far as I'm concerned, all the points have been agreed to," the American told IFL TV. 

"That's what each side has said. Now, we're just scrambling around to get things signed.

"I can say clearly, based on my view of everything, there are no more issues."

Related items

  • Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight

    Anthony Joshua declared there is "no place to hide" for Tyson Fury after the first official offer to stage their heavyweight unification fight was lodged.

    Promoter Eddie Hearn last week revealed he plans to present "three or four offers" to the respective teams of Joshua and Fury for an eagerly awaited unification bout.

    Negotiations over a blockbuster showdown between the British duo have been ongoing for several months, with Hearn revealing a two-fight deal has been signed.

    WBA, WBO and IBF champion Joshua has provided a positive update as he eyes Fury's WBC belt.

    "Positive news this evening! I'm lacing up my running boots rn [sic]!!!" Joshua posted on social media.

    "@258MGT and @Matchroomboxing have received the first official offer to host the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship Of The WORLD! I will be victorious God Willing!

    "No place to hide now! IM [sic] COMING."

    John Fury - Tyson's father – recently expressed his concerns over the ongoing negotiations in an interview with Boxing Social, citing the financial difficulties due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, tweeted on Sunday: "Busy day today and a long night ahead!"

  • Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion

    Joe Smith Jr. claimed a majority decision over Maxim Vlasov to clinch the vacant WBO light heavyweight title on Saturday.

    Smith postponed his honeymoon in order to face Vlasov in the championship bout at Osage Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

    It proved to be a wise decision as the judges scored the fight 114-114, 115-113 and 115-112 in favour of American Smith (27-3).

    Smith was forced to dig deep against Russian opponent Vlasov (45-4), landing 68 of his career-high 174 power punches over the final two rounds.

    In the 11th round, Smith thought he had registered a knockdown, but the referee saw it differently, ruling he had hit Vlasov behind the head.

    "It's a great feeling," Smith said as he looks ahead to an overdue honeymoon with his wife after the encounter was originally scheduled for February 13 before Vlasov tested positive for coronavirus.

    "It was definitely a close, tough, tough fight. Vlasov is a great fighter and he really put on a great show tonight and toughed it out.

    "In that [11th] round I hurt him, I believe he stuck his head down and I should have gotten the knockdown.

    "I believe I would have gotten the stoppage. ... I landed the bigger, harder shots, but he landed a lot of punches, too. It was a great fight."

    Smith added: "I want the other belts. I want the big fights out there. I believe I'm going to start unifying the belts."

  • 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support

    The Jamaican government will provide more than JMD$45 million in direct financial support to athletes preparing for this summer’s Tokyo Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.