Herring v Frampton postponed after 'Jackal' suffers hand injury

By Sports Desk February 17, 2021

Carl Frampton's bid to become a three-weight world champion against Jamel Herring has been postponed after the Northern Ireland boxer suffered a hand injury.

Frampton (28 wins, two defeats) was set to challenge Herring (22-2) on February 27 in London, in an attempt to add the American's WBO super-featherweight title to the previous successes at super-bantamweight and featherweight.

The bout is now expected to take place in late March, with a date and venue set to be confirmed in due course.

"I've got a bit of a twinge to my hand. Nothing serious, thankfully," Frampton said on his Inside Fighting YouTube channel, before confirming the problem was ligament damage but not a fracture to the right hand he broke during his November 2019 victory over Tyler McCreary.

"I've had to stop sparring but I will resume sparring again next week."

If he manages to overcome Herring, Frampton would become only the fourth UK fighter to reign across three weight classes and the first from the island of Ireland.

"I would have gone into this fight with my hand the way it is, but I would have had less of a chance of winning," the 33-year-old explained.

"If I rest and do what the specialist has told me I will be 100 per cent ready and prepared to win this fight.

"I can't afford to go into this fight half fit. I need to be at my very best. I'm glad that this has been pushed back a little bit."

Frampton has been beset by hand problems over recent years.

He went into the McCreary bout with a broken left hand, having been forced to pull out of a scheduled showdown with Emmanuel Dominguez three months earlier when a seven-foot ornamental pillar fell on him in a Philadelphia hotel lobby and fractured his fifth metacarpal.

"I've had hand problems for as long as I can remember, nothing really major but over the past six years there's always a little niggle," Frampton told Stats Perform News in an interview to preview the Herring bout last week.

"There's a plate and seven screws in my left hand and there's just one screw – the surgeon described it as like a corkscrew – in my right hand."

Herring and Frampton's clash had already been delayed twice, initially by the coronavirus pandemic and then when the 35-year-old champion suffered a scratched cornea during a disqualification victory over Jonathan Oquendo last September.

Related items

  • 'I'm not 21 anymore' – Mayweather dominates but Paul survives exhibition 'I'm not 21 anymore' – Mayweather dominates but Paul survives exhibition

    Floyd Mayweather Jr. dominated but failed to beat Logan Paul as the YouTube sensation went the full eight rounds with the boxing great in their exhibition showdown.

    All eyes were on Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, where all-time great Mayweather and YouTube-star-turned-prizefighter Paul sensationally shared the ring on Sunday.

    The exhibition bout featured eight three-minute rounds, with no judges and no official winner, though knockouts were legal.

    In the bizarre cross-over-fight, there were concerns for Paul – who had lost his only other bout heading into a blockbuster showdown with Mayweather, who retired with a flawless 50-0 record in 2017.

    Mayweather – typically patient – controlled the fight against a visibly tired Paul, who had a huge height and weight advantage and managed to unleash a flurry of punches though they barely troubled the 44-year-old.

    "I'm not 21 anymore but it's good to run around with these younger guys," Mayweather said afterwards.

    "He's a tough competitor, it was good action, had fun, I was surprised by him. Good work.

    "... I had fun, I'm pretty sure he had fun and hopefully fans enjoyed it."

    Paul, 26, added: "I don't want anyone to tell me anything is possible ever again.

    "The fact that I'm in here with one of the best boxers of all times proves the odds can be beat.

    "... Floyd Mayweather it was an honour, I hate being a d******** I love you guys."

  • Badou Jack scores fourth-round KO, Arias upsets Hurd Badou Jack scores fourth-round KO, Arias upsets Hurd

    Badou Jack stopped Dervin Colina in the fourth round on the Floyd Mayweather Jr-Logan Paul undercard in Miami.

    Jack scored a fourth-round knockout against Colina at Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday – the final fight before the exhibition showdown between boxing great Mayweather and YouTube sensation Paul.

    Sweden's Jack (24-3-3), who is a former super middleweight and light heavyweight champion, dropped underdog Colina (15-1) three times in the fourth round.

    "I'm a way better boxer than him," Jack said after Colina stepped in to fight on barely a week's notice, having replaced WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal – who tested positive for four banned substances. "Outbox him, and everything else will come."

    Earlier, Luis Arias (19-2-1) claimed a shock split-decision victory over Jarrett Hurd (24-2) in the 10-round middleweight contest.

    "People close to me were telling to get a job, give up on boxing, and I'm here," Arias said.

    "I believe I won the fight," Hurd said. "I had him out sometimes and they gave him a break wiping off the ring, but they gave him the fight and I have to go with what they said.

    "The plan was to come in here and box but we couldn't move around as much because the ring was slippery."

  • Haney holds off Linares to defend lightweight title Haney holds off Linares to defend lightweight title

    Devin Haney survived a late flurry from veteran Jorge Linares to successfully defend his WBC lightweight title, winning by unanimous decision Saturday in Las Vegas. 

    The 22-year-old Californian had little trouble through the first nine rounds against the former three-division world champion before Linares did some damage late. 

    A hard right in the 10th round left Haney (26-0) wobbly and the effects appeared to carry over into the 11th as Linares (47-6) tried in vain to win it with one punch. 

    Haney was able to hold on through 12 rounds, though, winning 116-112 on two judges' scorecards and 115-113 on the other. 

    It was the first time in 53 career fights that Linares lost a decision, the 35-year-old Venezuelan's previous defeats all coming by knockout. 

    Haney's win could set up a unification showdown with Teofimo Lopez, should the 16-0 IBF, WBO, WBA and The Ring lightweight champion defeat George Kambosos Jr. next month. 

    "I want to make the biggest fights happen," Haney told DAZN after the fight. "If Teofimo Lopez is next, let's do it."

    On Saturday's undercard, Chantelle Cameron defended her WBC light-welterweight strap with a fifth-round TKO of former world champion Melissa Hernandez. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.