Less talk, more action! – Joshua denies claims he is scared to face Fury

By Sports Desk December 22, 2020

Anthony Joshua has denied claims he is scared to face Tyson Fury and is eager to finalise a contract for a much-anticipated unification fight between the heavyweights. 

Promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed on Saturday a verbal agreement is in place for Joshua to take on Fury next year, most likely in the Middle East due to coronavirus restrictions.

IBF, WBA and WBO title holder Joshua knocked out Kubrat Pulev earlier this month to clear another potential hurdle standing between himself and a lucrative clash with Fury.

He appeared reluctant to call out the WBC champion in the aftermath of the fight at Wembley Arena, saying only that his focus was on securing the fourth heavyweight belt.

Fury accused his fellow Briton of running scared but Joshua is determined to put everything on the line by finalising a date for a money-spinning bout in 2021.

"Whether he really wants it or not, I'm keen," Joshua told Sky Sports. "I basically said, 'If Tyson Fury is the man with the belts, Tyson Fury is the man I want.' 

"That basically says, 'I'll fight anyone who has that belt, there's no problem with the person'. I just want to go for the undisputed championship. 

"That's what I was trying to say that night. He took it how he wanted to take it. I've never turned away from a fight. I've never announced a fight and not showed up. 

"I've fought six to seven champions, in my short career. Tyson Fury is another one of them.

"There's no reason as to why I see him any different to any other. If Fury is down, I'm ready, I'm keen. I've got four of the major belts, he's got one. I'll take that one from him."

Fury has not stepped in the ring since beating Deontay Wilder to reclaim the WBC heavyweight belt in February, with plans for a trilogy fight halted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Joshua's mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk has suggested he is happy to step aside for now, meanwhile, clearing another obstacle.

"I'm speaking to my management team, and I'm ready. I'm keen," Joshua said. "I've got past my mandatory. Right now, I'm about less talk, more action.

"But the ultimate thing coming from me, I'm ready. The next fight, I want Tyson Fury, the next fight I want the WBC champion, the next fight I want to be for the undisputed championship of the world.

"That being said, they are in conversations now – my management team, my promotional outfit – of the best way to put a package together that can lead us into 2021.

"Hopefully, the pandemic will be done and we can bring someone unity, a good energy to Britain, if we can announce this fight."

Related items

  • Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight

    Anthony Joshua declared there is "no place to hide" for Tyson Fury after the first official offer to stage their heavyweight unification fight was lodged.

    Promoter Eddie Hearn last week revealed he plans to present "three or four offers" to the respective teams of Joshua and Fury for an eagerly awaited unification bout.

    Negotiations over a blockbuster showdown between the British duo have been ongoing for several months, with Hearn revealing a two-fight deal has been signed.

    WBA, WBO and IBF champion Joshua has provided a positive update as he eyes Fury's WBC belt.

    "Positive news this evening! I'm lacing up my running boots rn [sic]!!!" Joshua posted on social media.

    "@258MGT and @Matchroomboxing have received the first official offer to host the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship Of The WORLD! I will be victorious God Willing!

    "No place to hide now! IM [sic] COMING."

    John Fury - Tyson's father – recently expressed his concerns over the ongoing negotiations in an interview with Boxing Social, citing the financial difficulties due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, tweeted on Sunday: "Busy day today and a long night ahead!"

  • Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion

    Joe Smith Jr. claimed a majority decision over Maxim Vlasov to clinch the vacant WBO light heavyweight title on Saturday.

    Smith postponed his honeymoon in order to face Vlasov in the championship bout at Osage Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

    It proved to be a wise decision as the judges scored the fight 114-114, 115-113 and 115-112 in favour of American Smith (27-3).

    Smith was forced to dig deep against Russian opponent Vlasov (45-4), landing 68 of his career-high 174 power punches over the final two rounds.

    In the 11th round, Smith thought he had registered a knockdown, but the referee saw it differently, ruling he had hit Vlasov behind the head.

    "It's a great feeling," Smith said as he looks ahead to an overdue honeymoon with his wife after the encounter was originally scheduled for February 13 before Vlasov tested positive for coronavirus.

    "It was definitely a close, tough, tough fight. Vlasov is a great fighter and he really put on a great show tonight and toughed it out.

    "In that [11th] round I hurt him, I believe he stuck his head down and I should have gotten the knockdown.

    "I believe I would have gotten the stoppage. ... I landed the bigger, harder shots, but he landed a lot of punches, too. It was a great fight."

    Smith added: "I want the other belts. I want the big fights out there. I believe I'm going to start unifying the belts."

  • 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support

    The Jamaican government will provide more than JMD$45 million in direct financial support to athletes preparing for this summer’s Tokyo Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.