Fury tells Joshua to 'grow a pair and sign the contract' for unification fight

By Sports Desk December 14, 2020

Tyson Fury has urged Anthony Joshua to "grow a pair and sign the contract" for a much-anticipated unification fight between the heavyweights. 

Joshua knocked out Kubrat Pulev at Wembley Arena on Saturday to retain his IBF, WBA and WBO belts, in the process clearing another potential hurdle standing between himself and a lucrative showdown with Fury. 

Promoter Eddie Hearn revealed on Sunday that an agreement could be in place for a 'Battle of Britain' clash in May 2021 in the next "couple of days". 

Fury, who has not stepped in the ring since reclaiming the WBC heavyweight belt with victory over Deontay Wilder in February, has now ramped up the stakes by suggesting the deal hinges on Joshua. 

"I'm willing to take the fight, I don't know if they are," he told ITV's Good Morning Britain. 

"I've been willing to take the fight for the last five years, it's not happened so far but I'm very optimistic it will happen in 2021."

Asked if he had a message for Joshua, he replied: "Grow a pair and sign the contract, big boy." 

Plans for a trilogy fight between Fury and Wilder in July were put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, while Joshua may yet be told by the WBO that he has to face mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk next. 

Should an agreement finally be reached between Fury and Joshua for a two-fight deal, it will reportedly be worth $500million (£372.47m). 

"Well, that doesn't sound too bad, but then again I don't believe anything I see in the paper," Fury said. 

"So yeah, we'll see what's going go on, but let's hope this fight happens." 

He added: "All of these organisations will allow this fight - it's the biggest one since Muhammad Ali fought George Foreman and the Rumble in the Jungle. it's a massive fight. 

"Oleksandr Usyk is a mandatory - but if that belt has to be vacated then I'm sure they’re going to do it to make the biggest fight of our generation. 

"I'm willing, I hope he's willing and let's give the fans the fight they really want to see." 

Joshua finished Pulev with a brutal right in the ninth round, but Fury was not that impressed by his rival's performance and vowed to get the job done inside four rounds. 

"I'm not just saying it because he's going to be a rival of mine and he's going to be one of my opponents, but I've always said for a long time that I do believe Anthony Joshua's tailor-made for somebody with my style," he said. 

"I think it's going be one of the most explosive, quickest fights you're going to see. I'm aiming to take him out inside four rounds." 

Related items

  • Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight

    Anthony Joshua declared there is "no place to hide" for Tyson Fury after the first official offer to stage their heavyweight unification fight was lodged.

    Promoter Eddie Hearn last week revealed he plans to present "three or four offers" to the respective teams of Joshua and Fury for an eagerly awaited unification bout.

    Negotiations over a blockbuster showdown between the British duo have been ongoing for several months, with Hearn revealing a two-fight deal has been signed.

    WBA, WBO and IBF champion Joshua has provided a positive update as he eyes Fury's WBC belt.

    "Positive news this evening! I'm lacing up my running boots rn [sic]!!!" Joshua posted on social media.

    "@258MGT and @Matchroomboxing have received the first official offer to host the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship Of The WORLD! I will be victorious God Willing!

    "No place to hide now! IM [sic] COMING."

    John Fury - Tyson's father – recently expressed his concerns over the ongoing negotiations in an interview with Boxing Social, citing the financial difficulties due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, tweeted on Sunday: "Busy day today and a long night ahead!"

  • Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion

    Joe Smith Jr. claimed a majority decision over Maxim Vlasov to clinch the vacant WBO light heavyweight title on Saturday.

    Smith postponed his honeymoon in order to face Vlasov in the championship bout at Osage Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

    It proved to be a wise decision as the judges scored the fight 114-114, 115-113 and 115-112 in favour of American Smith (27-3).

    Smith was forced to dig deep against Russian opponent Vlasov (45-4), landing 68 of his career-high 174 power punches over the final two rounds.

    In the 11th round, Smith thought he had registered a knockdown, but the referee saw it differently, ruling he had hit Vlasov behind the head.

    "It's a great feeling," Smith said as he looks ahead to an overdue honeymoon with his wife after the encounter was originally scheduled for February 13 before Vlasov tested positive for coronavirus.

    "It was definitely a close, tough, tough fight. Vlasov is a great fighter and he really put on a great show tonight and toughed it out.

    "In that [11th] round I hurt him, I believe he stuck his head down and I should have gotten the knockdown.

    "I believe I would have gotten the stoppage. ... I landed the bigger, harder shots, but he landed a lot of punches, too. It was a great fight."

    Smith added: "I want the other belts. I want the big fights out there. I believe I'm going to start unifying the belts."

  • 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support

    The Jamaican government will provide more than JMD$45 million in direct financial support to athletes preparing for this summer’s Tokyo Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.