Joshua-Fury could be confirmed in 'a couple of days' – Hearn

By Sports Desk December 13, 2020

A deal for the long-awaited world heavyweight unification title fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury could be agreed within days, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

Joshua knocked out Kubrat Pulev at Wembley Arena on Saturday to retain his IBF, WBA and WBO belts and clear another potential hurdle standing between himself and a lucrative showdown with Fury.

Hearn confirmed in the aftermath of the fight that talks over a 'Battle of Britain' clash in 2021 will ramp up on Monday and has now revealed he expects a contract to be signed imminently.

Asked how long it will realistically take to complete a deal between both camps, Hearn was quoted by BBC Sport as saying: "A couple of days. There is no reason we cannot complete the deal and then move on and solve the other problems.

"We need to write to the governing bodies and say yes we have a deal and we will now talk to the various sites and confirm the dates shortly for what I suppose will be the end of May."

Fury reclaimed the WBC heavyweight belt by ending Deontay Wilder's unbeaten streak in February with a sensational seventh-road stoppage in their much-anticipated rematch in Las Vegas.

However, he has not been in action since as plans for a trilogy between the pair in July were put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, while a possible return to the ring in December against another opponent was ruled out last month.

Joshua may be told by the WBO that he has to face mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk, meanwhile, but Matchroom promoter Hearn remains confident of getting the bout on in 2021.

"The only hitch I can think of is Wilder. If the court order the Fury rematch, and it doesn't sound as though they will, then it is out of our hands," he said. "That is the only way it falls through is if something stops their side. 

"That isn't me saying they don't want it, they do, but if the court orders it then we will have to fight Usyk.

"The WBO probably on Monday will email to say you have 30 days to start negotiations with Usyk. [Bob] Arum seems very confident that the fight (Wilder-Fury) is not on. Unless he has made complete balls up, it sounds like the fight is dead."

There is no doubting Fury's eagerness for the fight, with the 32-year-old having posted a video to his official Twitter account on Saturday promising a quick win in a meeting with Joshua. 

"He got asked if he wants the fight and he went around the bushes," Fury said in the video.

"I want the fight. I want the fight next – I will knock him out inside three rounds. He's a big bum dosser, I can't wait to knock him out."

Related items

  • Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight Joshua reveals 'positive news' on Fury unification fight

    Anthony Joshua declared there is "no place to hide" for Tyson Fury after the first official offer to stage their heavyweight unification fight was lodged.

    Promoter Eddie Hearn last week revealed he plans to present "three or four offers" to the respective teams of Joshua and Fury for an eagerly awaited unification bout.

    Negotiations over a blockbuster showdown between the British duo have been ongoing for several months, with Hearn revealing a two-fight deal has been signed.

    WBA, WBO and IBF champion Joshua has provided a positive update as he eyes Fury's WBC belt.

    "Positive news this evening! I'm lacing up my running boots rn [sic]!!!" Joshua posted on social media.

    "@258MGT and @Matchroomboxing have received the first official offer to host the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship Of The WORLD! I will be victorious God Willing!

    "No place to hide now! IM [sic] COMING."

    John Fury - Tyson's father – recently expressed his concerns over the ongoing negotiations in an interview with Boxing Social, citing the financial difficulties due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, tweeted on Sunday: "Busy day today and a long night ahead!"

  • Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion Smith scores majority decision over Vlasov to become light heavyweight champion

    Joe Smith Jr. claimed a majority decision over Maxim Vlasov to clinch the vacant WBO light heavyweight title on Saturday.

    Smith postponed his honeymoon in order to face Vlasov in the championship bout at Osage Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

    It proved to be a wise decision as the judges scored the fight 114-114, 115-113 and 115-112 in favour of American Smith (27-3).

    Smith was forced to dig deep against Russian opponent Vlasov (45-4), landing 68 of his career-high 174 power punches over the final two rounds.

    In the 11th round, Smith thought he had registered a knockdown, but the referee saw it differently, ruling he had hit Vlasov behind the head.

    "It's a great feeling," Smith said as he looks ahead to an overdue honeymoon with his wife after the encounter was originally scheduled for February 13 before Vlasov tested positive for coronavirus.

    "It was definitely a close, tough, tough fight. Vlasov is a great fighter and he really put on a great show tonight and toughed it out.

    "In that [11th] round I hurt him, I believe he stuck his head down and I should have gotten the knockdown.

    "I believe I would have gotten the stoppage. ... I landed the bigger, harder shots, but he landed a lot of punches, too. It was a great fight."

    Smith added: "I want the other belts. I want the big fights out there. I believe I'm going to start unifying the belts."

  • 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support 124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support

    The Jamaican government will provide more than JMD$45 million in direct financial support to athletes preparing for this summer’s Tokyo Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.