UFC

UFC 256: White 'absolutely positive' of Figueiredo-Moreno rematch after pulsating draw

By Sports Desk December 13, 2020

Dana White says Deiveson Figueiredo and Brandon Moreno will have a rematch next year after they put on what he felt could have been the greatest UFC flyweight in history on Saturday.

Figueiredo retained his world flyweight title with a majority draw in an enthralling battle with Moreno at UFC 256 on Saturday.

Two judges scored it 47-47 and another awarded it 47-46 to Figueiredo, who was deducted a point for a low blow in the third round at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.

Figueiredo revealed that he was in hospital in the early hours of the morning of the bout with an infection in his stomach, making the defence of his belt even more impressive.

UFC boss White said the pair - who were each fighting for the second time in the space of just three weeks - will lock horns again next year after they put on a thrilling main event.

"You gotta give these guys some time off, but you absolutely positively do that rematch. That's another fun fight for us all to look forward to in 2021." White said.

He added: "Tonight we put on a potential fight of the year and the potential greatest fight in the division's history.

"We throw the word around a lot, but both of these two are absolute savages."

White said Figueiredo had no intention of pulling out of the title fight despite his hospital trip.

He said: "Any time a guy goes to the hospital you're in danger [of the fight being called off]. He was obviously clear medically to fight, he had the option over whether to fight or not but he wanted to fight."

Related items

  • Jones offers update over UFC future as Ngannou outlines his plans for 2021 Jones offers update over UFC future as Ngannou outlines his plans for 2021

    Francis Ngannou plans to have two more fights in 2021 and has reaffirmed his desire to take on Jon Jones, whose future with UFC remains unclear.

    Ngannou claimed the heavyweight title in style on Saturday, dethroning Stipe Miocic at UFC 260 thanks to a second-round knockout in a rematch of their meeting back in January 2018.

    The 34-year-old made clear in the immediate aftermath that he is ready and willing to face Jones, a fighter he described as the GOAT of MMA.

    A two-time former light-heavyweight champion, Jones has not fought in just over a year amid contract negotiations. Whether he returns or not, Ngannou understands he is now in a position to call the shots.

    "I don't know what exactly happened between Jon Jones and the UFC, but I think there's something wrong, and I also think he handled it maybe a little in the wrong way," Ngannou said during an appearance on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show.

    "Listen, that's not my business. There's a lot of contenders ready to fight. For the first time, I'm the man who's making the call.

    "I don't have to sit down and wait for people. They're waiting for me, and I'm ready.

    "I can choose to fight, and I want to fight maybe two [more] times this year. I hope that [Jones] fight happens."

    Jones provided an update on his own situation via Twitter on Wednesday, revealing negotiations are continuing with the organisation.

    "I had a brief phone meeting with UFC's lawyer Hunter [Campbell] a few days ago. As of right now I expressed to him that anywhere around eight to $10million would be way too low for a fight of this magnitude. That’s all that has been discussed so far," he tweeted.

    "I'm supposed to be waiting for what their offer is going to be. Really hoping the numbers are nowhere near that low. I guess we will see what happens."

    If Jones is not available, Ngannou could instead be set for a rematch with Derrick Lewis, who won a forgettable first fight by unanimous decision back in July 2018.

    However, the new champion promises there will be no repeat, should the rivals go up against each other once again.

    "I think we'll have this fight that never really happened. I will have to give the fans what they deserve," Ngannou said.

  • UFC 260: Ngannou sets sights on 'GOAT' Jones after downing Miocic UFC 260: Ngannou sets sights on 'GOAT' Jones after downing Miocic

    Francis Ngannou set his sights on Jon Jones after sealing a devastating knockout win in his rematch with Stipe Miocic to claim the heavyweight title at UFC 260.

    Ngannou became the undisputed champion as he gained revenge after being outclassed by Miocic three years ago at UFC 220, the Cameroonian landing a brutal and decisive blow with a left hook in the second round.

    And now the 34-year-old wants a shot at Jones, with the legendary American poised to step up to the heavyweight division later this year.

    Ngannou lauded Jones as the GOAT of MMA, but declared he was ready for the challenge.

    "In my opinion, Jon Jones is the greatest of all time in mixed martial arts. Him moving up is going to be a good thing," he said after his stunning victory in Las Vegas.

    "He's a challenge I will take, and it will be a very good thing on the resume. But this time he is the challenger. I am the champ. He's coming up, looking for me.

    "So I'm ready any time soon. Even summer, I will be here, ready to fight in July or August. Whenever they are ready, I'm ready.

    "He said something, 'Show me the money'. Show the money and we'll go, baby. I'm here."

    Miocic – who was coming off a unanimous decision win over Daniel Cormier at UFC 252 last August – was left stunned by an overpowering display from Ngannou, who got the job done 52 seconds into round two.

  • UFC 260: Ngannou dethrones Miocic with vicious KO in epic heavyweight rematch UFC 260: Ngannou dethrones Miocic with vicious KO in epic heavyweight rematch

    Francis Ngannou annihilated Stipe Miocic with a brutal second-round knockout in their blockbuster rematch to become the UFC heavyweight champion.

    Ngannou was outclassed by Miocic three years ago, the Cameron fighter unable to take the title away from his opponent at UFC 220 in 2018.

    But Ngannou (16-3) exacted revenge on Saturday thanks to his brutal KO of the titleholder at UFC 260 in Las Vegas, where a new champion was crowned.

    Ngannou earned another title shot following knockout wins against Curtis Blaydes, Cain Velasquez, Junior dos Santos and Jairzinho Rozenstruik.

    The 34-year-old dethroned Miocic (20-4) inside the UFC Apex, where he had the American fighter in trouble early in the second round after dropping the champion with a two-punch combination.

    Miocic – who was coming off a unanimous decision win over Daniel Cormier at UFC 242 last August – was left stunned after being swarmed with punches on the chin and Ngannou followed with a hammer fist on the ground as the referee waved off the fight.

    Afterwards, Ngannou talked up a showdown with former champion Jon Jones.

    "It's a challenge that I'll take and a very good fight on my resume," Ngannou said post-fight.

    "He's the challenger, I am the champion so he's looking for me. I'm ready to fight in July and August. Let's do it." 

    In the co-main event, Vicente Luque stunned former welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, who was forced into submission in the opening round.

    It condemned Woodley to a fourth consecutive defeat as Luque earned the biggest win of his career.

    "I want to take this time also to call out Nate Diaz," Luque said. "I called him out in the past and he didn't respond. My style, it matches perfect. I'm going to go forward. I think Nate is a perfect fight."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.