UFC

McGregor all set for UFC comeback with Poirier rematch

By Sports Desk November 19, 2020

Conor McGregor has agreed to come out of retirement for a rematch with Dustin Poirier that finally appears to be signed and sealed. 

The 32-year-old Irishman will tackle American Poirier on January 23, and the Octagon showdown looks set to take place in Abu Dhabi. 

It has been a fight that has been spoken about for several weeks, with UFC president Dana White saying in October that McGregor had yet to sign the contract for the clash. 

On Thursday, the McGregor-affiliated website The Mac Life announced the paperwork had gone through. 

McGregor retweeted news of that report and included it in his Instagram story, although he did not immediately make any personal comment about the agreement. 

The clash will go ahead at lightweight, and it marks the end of a short spell away from the sport for McGregor. 

He announced his retirement in June, but the former featherweight and lightweight champion has been unable to resist another eye-catching clash.

McGregor and 31-year-old Poirier will be reunited, over six years after they went head to head at featherweight in UFC 178. 

That was a one-sided affair, with McGregor triumphing after just one minute and 46 seconds of the first round. However, Poirier is now ranked second, behind Justin Gaethje, in the division that has lost its champion Khabib Nurmagomedov to retirement. 

White has said the McGregor-Poirier battle will not be a title fight, and has indicated he expects Khabib to also come out of retirement. 

McGregor said of the prospect of his own comeback last week: "I am very grateful to be about to return and get to do what I love again.” 

In an Instagram post, he said: "I look forward to the fresh test Dustin will bring since our first bout, while also showcasing my own incredibly deep cache of weaponry. Whatever tool is needed on the night will be pulled from the duffel."

Related items

  • Poirier vs McGregor: Trilogy fight confirmed for UFC 264 on July 10 in Las Vegas Poirier vs McGregor: Trilogy fight confirmed for UFC 264 on July 10 in Las Vegas

    Dustin Poirier will face Conor McGregor at UFC 264 in Las Vegas this year.

    The much-anticipated trilogy fight will take place at the T-Mobile Arena on July 10, UFC president Dana White confirmed on Wednesday.

    "I am so happy to finally be able to say: Vegas is back," he said in a video posted on social media.

    "This summer, Las Vegas is back open for business and on July 10, UFC 264 will be at the T-Mobile Arena at 100 per cent capacity.

    "This card will be headlined by the third fight between Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor."

    The update comes after McGregor claimed the bout was off on Monday during an expletive-laden exchange on Twitter.

    Poirier claimed victory in their previous showdown at UFC 257 in January in Abu Dhabi with a second-round knockout, after which McGregor conceded the result was "a tough one to swallow".

    McGregor, who described his opponent's performance three months ago as "phenomenal", stopped the 32-year-old American in 106 seconds in their first encounter in September 2014.

    The former two-weight world champion, who is also 32, has not won a UFC bout since January last year.

  • Jones offers update over UFC future as Ngannou outlines his plans for 2021 Jones offers update over UFC future as Ngannou outlines his plans for 2021

    Francis Ngannou plans to have two more fights in 2021 and has reaffirmed his desire to take on Jon Jones, whose future with UFC remains unclear.

    Ngannou claimed the heavyweight title in style on Saturday, dethroning Stipe Miocic at UFC 260 thanks to a second-round knockout in a rematch of their meeting back in January 2018.

    The 34-year-old made clear in the immediate aftermath that he is ready and willing to face Jones, a fighter he described as the GOAT of MMA.

    A two-time former light-heavyweight champion, Jones has not fought in just over a year amid contract negotiations. Whether he returns or not, Ngannou understands he is now in a position to call the shots.

    "I don't know what exactly happened between Jon Jones and the UFC, but I think there's something wrong, and I also think he handled it maybe a little in the wrong way," Ngannou said during an appearance on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show.

    "Listen, that's not my business. There's a lot of contenders ready to fight. For the first time, I'm the man who's making the call.

    "I don't have to sit down and wait for people. They're waiting for me, and I'm ready.

    "I can choose to fight, and I want to fight maybe two [more] times this year. I hope that [Jones] fight happens."

    Jones provided an update on his own situation via Twitter on Wednesday, revealing negotiations are continuing with the organisation.

    "I had a brief phone meeting with UFC's lawyer Hunter [Campbell] a few days ago. As of right now I expressed to him that anywhere around eight to $10million would be way too low for a fight of this magnitude. That’s all that has been discussed so far," he tweeted.

    "I'm supposed to be waiting for what their offer is going to be. Really hoping the numbers are nowhere near that low. I guess we will see what happens."

    If Jones is not available, Ngannou could instead be set for a rematch with Derrick Lewis, who won a forgettable first fight by unanimous decision back in July 2018.

    However, the new champion promises there will be no repeat, should the rivals go up against each other once again.

    "I think we'll have this fight that never really happened. I will have to give the fans what they deserve," Ngannou said.

  • UFC 260: Ngannou sets sights on 'GOAT' Jones after downing Miocic UFC 260: Ngannou sets sights on 'GOAT' Jones after downing Miocic

    Francis Ngannou set his sights on Jon Jones after sealing a devastating knockout win in his rematch with Stipe Miocic to claim the heavyweight title at UFC 260.

    Ngannou became the undisputed champion as he gained revenge after being outclassed by Miocic three years ago at UFC 220, the Cameroonian landing a brutal and decisive blow with a left hook in the second round.

    And now the 34-year-old wants a shot at Jones, with the legendary American poised to step up to the heavyweight division later this year.

    Ngannou lauded Jones as the GOAT of MMA, but declared he was ready for the challenge.

    "In my opinion, Jon Jones is the greatest of all time in mixed martial arts. Him moving up is going to be a good thing," he said after his stunning victory in Las Vegas.

    "He's a challenge I will take, and it will be a very good thing on the resume. But this time he is the challenger. I am the champ. He's coming up, looking for me.

    "So I'm ready any time soon. Even summer, I will be here, ready to fight in July or August. Whenever they are ready, I'm ready.

    "He said something, 'Show me the money'. Show the money and we'll go, baby. I'm here."

    Miocic – who was coming off a unanimous decision win over Daniel Cormier at UFC 252 last August – was left stunned by an overpowering display from Ngannou, who got the job done 52 seconds into round two.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.