Wilder demands rematch with Fury: Be a man and honour your agreement!

By Sports Desk October 31, 2020

Deontay Wilder demanded a rematch with Tyson Fury, calling for the WBC champion to honour his agreement for a blockbuster trilogy showdown.

A third Wilder-Fury clash has been touted after the latter stripped the American of the WBC title in February's rematch at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas following a draw in the first fight in 2018.

Wilder (41-1-1) has the right to a third bout against British star Fury (30-0-1) but, although December 19 was suggested as a possible date, nothing has been finalised amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Fury announced in October that he had ended his interest in another rematch, while Wilder's co-manager denied claims his fighter no longer had a contractual clause for the bout, which would leave the former free to face Anthony Joshua instead.

A deal for two 2021 fights between Fury and Joshua, who regained the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight world titles by beating Andy Ruiz in a rematch last December, was agreed in principle in June.

Wilder called out Fury via social media on Saturday, writing on Twitter: "Fury Be A Man. @Tyson_Fury it is time for you to be a man and honour your agreement. What is this bull**** of you fighting Carlos Takam instead of me, you got to be kidding…

"When that fight was a draw, I told you that I would give you a rematch. You know I was offered more money to fight Joshua than I was getting to fight you. Again being a man of my word, I fought you like I said I would…

"In the rematch agreement, there was a rematch clause. Now it is time for you to be a man and honour your word, instead of trying to weasel out of our agreement. Scared people run by a scary man will break his contract you coward Azz b****!"

Fury produced a seven-round demolition via TKO against Wilder, who suffered his first loss.

In the accompanying video, Wilder added: "I saw in the first fight when Ricky Hatton was pulling down your gloves to put your fists in the improper position. Y'all tried the same method the second time, but this time, you scratched flesh out of my ears which caused my ears to bleed.

"It's impossible for a brand-new 10-ounce glove to bend, to keep a smushed-in form or to have loose space. I highly believe you put something hard in your glove. Something the size and the shape of an egg weight.

"It's the reason the side of my face swelled up in the egg weight form and it left a dent in my face as well.

"But in the midst of all, you still couldn't keep this king down. You would have had to kill me. In the end, it took a crap-in-a-bucket referee and a disloyal trainer to throw the towel in just to stop me."

Related items

  • Canelo to face mandatory challenger Yildirim in February Canelo to face mandatory challenger Yildirim in February

    Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez will be back in the ring on February 27, defending his WBA and WBC super-middleweight titles against Avni Yildirim.  

    Canelo claimed the belts in December, handing Callum Smith his first career defeat as he recorded a unanimous points triumph over the Englishman in San Antonio, Texas.  

    Now the Mexican superstar will head to Florida for his next outing, the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens chosen to stage the clash with Yildirim.  

    While keen to eventually unify the 168-pound division, the 30-year-old must first deal with his mandatory challenger for the WBC strap.  

    "Avni Yildirim is a good boxer and I know we will put on an exciting fight," said Canelo.   

    "I'm very glad that we are able to bring this event to Miami, a short distance from where my hero, Muhammad Ali, trained.   

    "February 27 will be a great night for the sport."

    Yildirim, who owns a 21-2 record as a pro, previously challenged for the vacant WBC belt in February 2019, losing via a technical decision after opponent Anthony Dirrell suffered a cut that forced their bout to be stopped.  

    However, the 29-year-old - whose other loss came against Chris Eubank Jr in 2017 - is ready to go to war as he aims to cause a huge upset.  

    "I am honoured as a mandatory to fight again for the big green belt - thank you to everyone who is involved," Yildirim said in a press release to announce the date. 

    "I always give my all – and everybody should be ready to see a war. I am coming to make my country proud – I am representing the whole of Turkey."

  • Zion needs to 'get in shape' to reach potential, warns Karl Malone Zion needs to 'get in shape' to reach potential, warns Karl Malone

    Zion Williamson needs to "get in shape" if he is to fulfil his potential in the NBA, according to Hall of Famer Karl Malone.

    New Orleans selected Williamson with the first overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft but a meniscus tear in preseason and a season shortened by the coronavirus pandemic meant he played just 24 games in his rookie campaign.

    The Duke product is up to 36 games – still less than half the standard season – but former power forward Malone, a two-time MVP who had All-NBA First Team honours on 11 occasions, thinks he need to improve his physique if he is to maximise his abilities.

    Williamson is listed at six foot, seven inches and 284 pounds, with Malone pointing to Glen 'Big Baby' Davis as an example of someone who did not live up to their billing due to their size – Davis was 6ft 9in and played at 289 pounds.

    "I love Zion Williamson. Zion needs to get into shape. If he doesn't get in shape, we might not ever know his full potential," Malone said on The Players' Tribune's Knuckleheads podcast.

    "There's a young man that played at LSU, 'Big Baby' Davis. Big Baby made a comment about eight months ago, he did an ESPN show … he came on that show and he said, 'Look guys, I'm about to get into trouble now with what I'm about to say. I know everybody loves Zion and I love him too. But Zion has the same body type that I had.'

    "He was talking about himself. And he said if he doesn't get into shape, we'll never know his full potential. And he did get heat from that."

    Williamson had 32 points with five rebounds and three assists as the Pelicans suffered a 118-102 defeat to the Utah Jazz on Tuesday, New Orleans losing for the sixth time in seven games to slip to 5-8 for the season.

    This season the 20-year-old is averaging 23.4 points and 8.0 rebounds in 32.6 minutes per game. That ranks him 44th in minutes per game, with his usage percentage of 29.1 enough for 39th in the league.

    However, he leads in the league in contested three-points shots per game at 5.9.

    Malone added: "I'm still waiting on him to play the whole damn season… and he needs to be averaging 40 minutes per game. Look here, you're a 21, 22-year-old kid. Your a** shouldn't get tired."

  • Mets fire GM Porter over claims of unsolicited and explicit texts Mets fire GM Porter over claims of unsolicited and explicit texts

    The New York Mets fired general manager Jared Porter on Tuesday, a day after it was reported he sent unsolicited text messages and lewd images to a female reporter in 2016.

    The Mets hired the 41-year-old Porter only last month, but new team owner Steven Cohen announced his firing on Twitter.

    Cohen wrote: "We have terminated Jared Porter this morning. In my initial press conference I spoke about the importance of integrity and I meant it. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior."

    In response to a question about the firing of Porter, Cohen added: "No action would of set a poor example to the culture I'm trying to build."

    Shortly after Cohen’s tweet, the Mets issued a statement from team president Sandy Alderson.

    It read: "The New York Mets have terminated general manager Jared Porter, effective immediately. Jared's actions, as reflected by events disclosed last night, failed to meet the Mets' standards for professionalism and personal conduct."

    Porter was the Chicago Cubs' director of professional scouting in 2016 when ESPN said he began sending unsolicited and inappropriate text messages and images to the reporter after meeting her in June of that year.

    He has yet to make a public comment on ESPN's allegations.

    Porter spent the next four seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks as their senior vice president and assistant general manager.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.