UFC

Covington takes swipe at the 'slime in Hollywood' over Trump's COVID battle

By Sports Desk October 04, 2020

Outspoken UFC star Colby Covington hit out at "all the slime in Hollywood" as he took aim at those he claims have wished harm on United States president Donald Trump.

Trump was this week taken into hospital after contracting coronavirus, with the 74-year-old later declaring on Saturday night that he is "feeling much better" and hoping to be "back soon".

Covington is a well-known supporter of the president and took a personal call from Trump after defeating Tyron Woodley in his latest fight last month.

The 32-year-old was in attendance for the first presidential debate between Trump and election rival Joe Biden in Cleveland last Tuesday and told his fans he has since tested negative for COVID-19.

In the same update, posted on Instagram, Covington took the opportunity to take a swipe at Trump's detractors.

"For the people who constantly slander my name, but are all of a sudden concerned with my health and well being: I'm COVID free," Covington wrote.

"I've been tested 7 times in the past 3 weeks, including prior to and after meeting with the POTUS. I was also tested during fight week, as well as before and after the debate. ALL NEGATIVE.

"Speaking of ALL NEGATIVE, how about all the slime in Hollywood and woke sports wishing harm on a 74 year old grandfather!?! How tolerant!

"Unfortunately for them and fortunately for America, @realdonaldtrump is a fighter!!! He KO's the fake news media daily. He KO'd Slow Joe and Chris Wallace at the same time on Tuesday! Now it's time for a casual weekend KO of COVID! Here's to a speedy recovery and 4 MORE YEARS!!!"

Related items

  • Grizzlies have three games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols Grizzlies have three games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols

    The NBA has announced the Memphis Grizzlies' next three games have been postponed in accordance with COVID-19 protocols.

    Memphis had already seen Wednesday's scheduled meeting with the Portland Trail Blazers called off, the Grizzlies not having the league-required minimum of eight players available for action.

    The same teams had been due to meet on Friday, however that clash will no longer be going ahead as planned.

    Back-to-back games with the Sacramento Kings, set to take place on Sunday and Monday, are also postponed due to the combination of unavailable Grizzlies players and contact tracing for others on the roster. 

    "The Memphis Grizzlies' next three games - Friday, January 22 at Portland and Sunday, January 24 and Monday, January 25 vs Sacramento - have been postponed in accordance with the NBA's health and safety protocols," the NBA said in a statement.

    "The games are being postponed due to unavailable players for the Grizzlies and contact tracing for other players on their roster, and in order to ensure the health and safety of players on both teams."

    In total, 20 games have been postponed during the NBA regular season as the competition deals with the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Grizzlies are 7-6 on the season and on a five-game winning streak. Following the postponements, they are next due to be in action on January 27, when they host the Chicago Bulls.

  • McGregor hopes for Khabib rematch but predicts Russian will be stripped of UFC title McGregor hopes for Khabib rematch but predicts Russian will be stripped of UFC title

    Conor McGregor is still hopeful Khabib Nurmagomedov can be tempted back to the Octagon but says he should be stripped of the UFC lightweight title if he refuses to return.

    Nurmagomedov called time on his career after defeating Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 in October but is in Abu Dhabi to attend the lightweight fight between McGregor and Dustin Poirier on Saturday.

    Dana White met with the Russian, who he said was looking for "something spectacular" if he was to go back on his decision to hang up his gloves.

    However, Nurmagomedov subsequently said fighting was not in his plans as he did not want to disappoint his mother, to whom he promised Gaethje would be his last opponent due to the death of his father and coach Abdulmanap.

    Asked about those remarks at a news conference to preview UFC 257, White responded: "I've told you guys. We'll see what happens this week."

    McGregor, who was submitted by Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in a fight that was overshadowed by a post-bout melee outside the Octagon, added "we'll get him", before claiming that the lightweight title will soon be up for grabs.

    "I'd make the case if that man [Nurmagomedov] is continuing to dodge this and dodge the commitment of competing again, the title should be stripped and we should be engaging in a title fight," said McGregor.

    "I'm sure it'll happen after this bout. I'm interested to hear what the excuses are … but I predict a title strip.

    "As long as we fight again there'll be no issue [between us], that's it. If he continues to run, I'm not sure. We'll see what happens.

    "The world knows this fight is not over, this war is not over. The sport needs it to happen. I'm not gonna chase it if he doesn't want it and I'll keep my calm and move on."

    The fight with Poirier will be just McGregor's third at lightweight, having returned from a second retirement at welterweight when he took on Donald Cerrone in January last year.

    The former featherweight and lightweight champion claimed to have retired again, finding it difficult to fulfil his three-fight plan for 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, but he is now anticipating a long run at 155 pounds.

    "I have not had that many fights at 155 in the UFC and I'm eager to put in a stint, to get a run going like I did with the featherweights," said McGregor.

    "I think I went seven or eight fights within a year and a half. That's what I'm looking for here if they can match me up. This is the best I've ever been for sure, and I'm at 155 pounds. But if I go back to 170 you best believe that'll be the best I've ever felt also."

    Poirier's camp suggested McGregor's weakness is his conditioning, but the Irishman does not agree with that assessment.

    "I think it's a myth. Obviously the first [Nate] Diaz fight I went from featherweight and a month or so later I was at welterweight, that's obviously gonna have an impact and then there were other issues," he said.

    "Overall, I think it's a myth. It's a myth that's out there and I hope we can answer it. I will answer it in time at some stage. I keep showing up here, someone's gonna be able to stay in there and fight with me. I hope it's this Saturday night. Do I think so? I do not. I'm in some shape here and I'm coming to put on a masterpiece."

    McGregor added: "I have a million shots. I have so many weapons in my arsenal and they're all fine-tuned at this time. I'm in a phenomenal place and I look forward to going out and showcasing, painting a beautiful picture."

  • Man City striker Aguero confirms positive coronavirus test Man City striker Aguero confirms positive coronavirus test

    Sergio Aguero has confirmed he is self-isolating after returning a positive test for coronavirus.

    The Manchester City striker has missed four straight games after coming into contact with another person who had contracted COVID-19.

    Aguero announced his result on Twitter and it is not known when he will be free to return to training.

    "After a close contact, I've been self-isolating and the latest test I took was positive for COVID 19," Aguero wrote.

    "I had some symptoms and I'm following doctor's orders for recovery. Take care, everyone."

    Aguero has played in just five Premier League games and nine matches in all competitions in a stop-start campaign.

    Gabriel Jesus, Kevin De Bruyne and Ferran Torres have all been utilised as a central attacking option at times this term.

    City are unbeaten in their past 16 matches in all competitions and are just two points off leaders Manchester United in the Premier League with a game in a hand.

    Pep Guardiola's men face Cheltenham Town in the FA Cup this weekend and also have league matches with West Brom and Sheffield United within the next 10 days.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.