Anthony Joshua: Tyson Fury is just another opponent

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Anthony Joshua views Tyson Fury as "just another fighter" as he seeks to solidify his heavyweight legacy.

Joshua regained the IBF, WBA and WBO titles with a lopsided points win over Andy Ruiz Jr last December, instantly avenging his shock knockout loss to the Mexican earlier in the year.

Two months later, Fury spectacularly dethroned Deontay Wilder to claim the WBC title, meaning there is considerable clamour for the two Britons to meet and decide an undisputed king of boxing's blue riband division.

Joshua understands the demand for what would be a blockbuster event, but refuses to place Fury – who recently said he would "batter" the Londoner – on a pedestal.

"There's going to be even bigger [fights] because I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to make history," he told British GQ.

"I'm hungry, I'm fired up. Fury's just another opponent at the end of the day.

"Yes it's going to be big for everyone else but I've got to keep myself together and I'm looking at Fury like he's just another fighter.

"But in terms of the spectacle, the trash talking, two juggernauts coming together – I can't wait.

"I've tasted what being at the top of the mountain feels like and I've tasted what being knocked off that mountain feels like and I've climbed my way back up.

"Whoever steps in front of me now will know I ain't looking to go back down. When I'm fighting Kubrat Pulev and I get the opportunity to fight with Tyson Fury for the WBC championship of the world, they're going to see what it feels like for a man to have had it all, lost it and got it back.

"A man who doesn't want to feel that turbulence again."

He added: "I can't really comment on Tyson Fury, to be honest. I've got my own opinions and views of that person but all I need to know is when I'm going to beat him and when I'm going to fight him."

Joshua was due to face IBF mandatory challenger Pulev at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in June before the coronavirus pandemic struck.

His promoter Eddie Hearn insists that bout, ideally in front of a UK stadium crowd later in the year, remains Joshua's immediate priority.

 "Wouldn't it be great to come through all this and stage a world heavyweight title fight in the UK this year? For us, that is the absolute focus and if that's taken out of our hands, we will look at other options around the world," he told Sky Sports.

Joshua beat Ruiz in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East could come to the fore as an alternative venue for his next outing, while Pulev's manager Ivaylo Gotsev claims to have secured financial backing to stage the bout at Pula Arena – a Roman amphitheatre in Croatia.

"Croatia is a potential option at this stage and just a part of wider discussions," Hearn added.

"Given the current uncertainty, I would expect to see him in the ring again end of September at the earliest, but more likely October or November as the restrictions hopefully start to ease."

Related items

  • Canelo to face mandatory challenger Yildirim in February Canelo to face mandatory challenger Yildirim in February

    Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez will be back in the ring on February 27, defending his WBA and WBC super-middleweight titles against Avni Yildirim.  

    Canelo claimed the belts in December, handing Callum Smith his first career defeat as he recorded a unanimous points triumph over the Englishman in San Antonio, Texas.  

    Now the Mexican superstar will head to Florida for his next outing, the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens chosen to stage the clash with Yildirim.  

    While keen to eventually unify the 168-pound division, the 30-year-old must first deal with his mandatory challenger for the WBC strap.  

    "Avni Yildirim is a good boxer and I know we will put on an exciting fight," said Canelo.   

    "I'm very glad that we are able to bring this event to Miami, a short distance from where my hero, Muhammad Ali, trained.   

    "February 27 will be a great night for the sport."

    Yildirim, who owns a 21-2 record as a pro, previously challenged for the vacant WBC belt in February 2019, losing via a technical decision after opponent Anthony Dirrell suffered a cut that forced their bout to be stopped.  

    However, the 29-year-old - whose other loss came against Chris Eubank Jr in 2017 - is ready to go to war as he aims to cause a huge upset.  

    "I am honoured as a mandatory to fight again for the big green belt - thank you to everyone who is involved," Yildirim said in a press release to announce the date. 

    "I always give my all – and everybody should be ready to see a war. I am coming to make my country proud – I am representing the whole of Turkey."

  • Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone

    Sergey Kovalev's bout against Bektemir Melikuziev has been cancelled after the former three-time light-heavyweight world champion failed a drugs test.

    Kovalev returned a positive for synthetic testosterone via a test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    The scheduled fight card at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indo, California has been pulled by Golden Boy Promotions as a result.

    A statement released by Golden Boy read: "The Kovalev vs Melikuziev boxing event scheduled for January 30 has been cancelled following a positive test for a banned substance (synthetic testosterone) on behalf of Sergey Kovalev through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    "Upon learning of Kovalev's adverse finding, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) determined that they must cancel the event."

    Kovalev has not fought since losing his WBO light-heavyweight title in an 11th-round knockout defeat to Canelo Alvarez in November 2019, a setback that dropped the 37-year-old's professional record to 34 victories (29 knockouts), four defeats and a solitary draw.

    Counting from his first career loss, when Andre Ward edged a close points verdict against Kovalev in 2016, the Russian has won four and lost four of his past eight fights, with the three subsequent losses all coming by stoppage.

    He was scheduled to box former world title challenger Sullivan Barrera on April 25 last year but the coronavirus pandemic put paid to that, as it did the original plans for the meeting against Uzbekistan's 2016 Olympic bronze medallist Melikuziev (6-0, 5 KOs) to take place in Moscow.

  • Whyte-Povetkin rematch confirmed for March 6 Whyte-Povetkin rematch confirmed for March 6

    The heavyweight rematch between Alexander Povetkin and Dillian Whyte has been officially confirmed for March 6.

    Povetkin knocked out Whyte in the fifth round of their WBC interim title bout last August and the pair were originally set to meet again in late November at Wembley Arena.

    However, the fight was postponed after the Russian was admitted to hospital with COVID-19.

    Promoters Matchroom Boxing has announced a new date has now been set, with the rematch now scheduled for around seven weeks' time.

    The card will take place behind closed doors at a venue that has yet to be confirmed.

    After being laid low by coronavirus last year, Povetkin recently stepped up his training regime as he looks to retain the WBC interim heavyweight title with another victory over Whyte.

    World of Boxing Promotions Company, who represent the 41-year-old, posted on Twitter on Friday: "Alexander has fully recovered and started his training camp on January 12. 

    "He is progressing well in the first stage of his preparation. We hope the second fight will live up to everyone's expectations and that Povetkin will deliver another spectacular finish."

    The winner of the rematch will be in line to face either Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua later in 2021 for the heavyweight world title.

    Meanwhile, it was also confirmed on Friday that Josh Warrington, who has not been in action since October 2019, will defend his IBF featherweight belt against Mauricio Lara on February 13.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.