Tyson Fury: I'm still fat, ugly and bald - but I'm still unstoppable!

By Sports Desk May 19, 2020

Tyson Fury has vowed to continue proving his doubters wrong as he targets a long reign of heavyweight boxing dominance.

The WBC world champion is preparing for a third fight against American Deontay Wilder, who he stopped in February to claim the title.

Fury insists he has never changed, nor have the people who are queuing up to tell him he cannot succeed.

"They said I'd never do it, they said I would never have the dedication," Fury said to Sky Sports.

"Then they wrote me off because I wasn't body beautiful like everybody else, then they wrote me off because the heavyweight champion of the world was Wladimir Klitschko. 

"I had to go to Germany, that was a write-off, and then they wrote me off because I went to 28 stone and had mental health problems, but that couldn't keep me down.

"Then they wrote me off because I had to fight the biggest puncher in the history of boxing [Wilder] after only two, petty comeback fights, but that didn't keep me down.

"Then they wrote me off, because I'm all washed up and I can't take a punch anymore, and then they wrote me off because I got a massive cut. Then they wrote me off because I had 10 changes of trainers.

"Then they wrote me off because Wilder was going to be better the second time around.

"Then they wrote me off because they said they didn't believe in what I was going to do and I'm a feather-duster puncher, and I can't crack an egg, and I'm useless.

"But here I am today, stand-alone heavyweight, leading superstar in boxing. I'm still fat, still ugly, still bald, still a big man, and I'm still unstoppable."

Fury believes he has "completed" boxing, but with retirement plans put to one side he now wants a long stint as champion like Klitschko had before their 2015 bout.

He added: "I've achieved more than any active heavyweight alive today. If I never have another boxing fight, I'll be happy. I've completed the game.

"Nothing to prove to anybody but why walk away when I'm still only young? Klitschko did it until he was 40. A lot of the great champions are continuing and continuing. 

"I ain't boxing for money, I ain't boxing for fame, I ain't boxing for a belt. I'm boxing because it keeps me mentally happy and I like to do it.

"Hopefully I box until I have a good sit down with all the team and we all decide it's time to walk away, while I'm on top, and then sail away into the sunset."

Related items

  • Whyte v Povetkin rematch set for November 21 Whyte v Povetkin rematch set for November 21

    Dillian Whyte's opportunity to avenge his shock loss to Alexander Povetkin will come on November 21, it has been confirmed.

    Matchroom announced the heavyweight rematch on Tuesday, with the countdown now on for Whyte as he seeks to put last month's defeat to the Russian behind him.

    The Briton was floored by his 40-year-old opponent in the fifth round, having dominated the fight up to that point, with the loss halting his hopes of landing a mandatory shot at the WBC championship.

    Venue details for the second showdown between the pair are to be confirmed at a later date, as it is not clear whether fans will be able to attend.

    "I'm over the moon to have the rematch," Whyte said in quotes reported by Sky Sports. "As soon as I got out of the ring, I was looking for confirmation that the fight would be on.

    "I can't wait to get back in the ring and get back what is rightfully mine.

    "I'm looking to do what I said I would the first time, and that's beat Alexander Povetkin."

    Povetkin said: "I've rested well, spent time with my family, and now that the date of the rematch is known, I will soon return to my training camp and prepare as thoroughly as I did for the first fight."

  • Joshua's Fury jibe: You should retire soon Joshua's Fury jibe: You should retire soon

    Anthony Joshua described Tyson Fury as "just another heavyweight" and says his rival should consider retiring soon.

    IBF, WBA and WBO title holder Joshua has agreed two fights with WBC champion Fury next year to determine the division's undisputed champion.

    Joshua first faces a mandatory title defence against Kubrat Pulev at the end of the year, while Fury is set to take on Deontay Wilder for a third time.

    Fury won his first world titles in 2015, seven years after turning professional, whereas his countryman needed just three years to make his big breakthrough.

    And ahead of their proposed superfights at some point in 2021, Joshua has cast doubt over whether taking on Fury will be the biggest test of his career.

    "Fury has been professional much longer than me. He should be looking to retire soon," he told Sky Sports.

    "If he wants to cement his legacy, I'm here and ready. I've built myself into this position.

    "I'll challenge Fury, I'll challenge Wilder. These guys aren't the biggest names that I've fought on my record anyway. They are just another heavyweight.

    "Look at my record. They are not the best fighters that I have challenged. When they are ready, I'm here to fight."

    Fury has won 30 of his 31 professional fights and beat Wilder in February to claim the WBC and Ring Magazine titles.

    However, Joshua – with a record of 23 wins from 24 fights – is not fazed about stepping into the ring with the Gypsy King.

    "I haven't got fear of Fury – whether he's got a better chin than me, a better jab than me, whether he's all of this stuff that people say," Joshua said. 

    "So be it. Let me go in there and prove myself. Show you who I am and what I can do.

    "I've fought five champions and been in two unification fights. I'm a two-time heavyweight champion in the space of 24 fights and a [seven-year] career. It shows you I am serious.

    "If Fury is serious, I'll take that fight seriously too."

  • Hearn: Joshua will fight this year... behind closed doors if he has to Hearn: Joshua will fight this year... behind closed doors if he has to

    Anthony Joshua will fight behind closed doors this year if he has to, but Eddie Hearn is optimistic there will be a crowd at the O2 Arena for a December 12 bout against Kubrat Pulev.

    Joshua's camp continues to negotiate a huge heavyweight unification fight against British rival Tyson Fury, but he first must face Pulev.

    The coronavirus pandemic has impacted the boxing world, yet promoter Hearn is adamant Joshua cannot afford to wait for the crisis to pass.

    Matchroom Boxing's Hearn is targeting test events with crowds in the coming months with the aim of getting "a strong crowd" in London for Joshua.

    Hearn told Matchroom: "Someone said to me last night: 'Presumably, if you can't get crowds back, AJ won't fight.' No, AJ will fight behind closed doors if he has to this year.

    "He must fight. He's progressing as a fighter, he's learning all the time, he's challenging himself. He doesn't want to sit on the shelf.

    "We believe through the pilot schemes that we'll run in September and then fans coming back in October, there's a good chance that Anthony Joshua can have a strong crowd at the O2 on December 12.

    "That's the target date for that fight. Things are nearly wrapped up with Pulev's team as well for that date. Hopefully we can build towards a massive finish to the year."

    That finish could see Oleksandr Usyk versus Derek Chisora followed by Dillian Whyte's rematch against Alexander Povetkin.

    Hearn says he is "still grinding away" on the Usyk fight for late October, while the Povetkin bout should be announced for November in the coming weeks - Whyte looking for swift revenge after the Russian veteran sensationally knocked him out at Matchroom Fight Camp last month.

    Attention is already turning towards booking the clash with Fury, though.

    "Fury against AJ's a must," Hearn said. "I saw the comments [by Fury and his co-promoter Frank Warren], 'they don't want it, they don't want it'.

    "You have to understand: why would you not want the fight that's the biggest ever for British boxing history?"

    He added: "I spoke to [Fury's co-promoter] Bob Arum. We've been having some deep conversations about that fight all week. Actually, me and Bob are ready to move forward and close that fight now."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.