Surprised by COVID-19, Olympic hopeful Hanson will not allow pandemic to keep him off guard

By April 06, 2020

Though disappointed that the Olympics has been postponed for another year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Janathan 'Musfasa' Hanson says he refuses to be put off by the setbacks brought on by the nightmarish situation.

The 30-year-old middleweight boxer was in preparation for upcoming Olympic qualifiers when news of the postponement came. Reality hit him hard.

“I was in the process of qualifying. The qualifying tournament, which was in Argentina, was to run from March 26- April 8. It was postponed and a week later, cancelled. All the remaining Olympic boxing qualifying tournaments have also been suspended until who knows when,” he told Sportsmax.TV.

“This is a huge disappointment. Like myself, a lot of athletes have been preparing for the last three-to-four years only to be hit with this postponement. “For some it's simple, but for those that have sacrificed for the last three years it's different.”

The development, he said, has forced him to change strategies in order to adapt to the new paradigm. “Like most athletes, I had to go back to the drawing board and reassess my preparation with another year to go. However, this may be a great opportunity,” he said.

“This year I've had the privilege to be sponsored by Spartan Gym and Mark Miller from MonkFit. I also have partnered with a new boxing coach, Nathan Boothe, from England. This additional year will allow me the time to cement my preparation. If I wasn't prepared before with this new team behind me, I'll definitely be prepared by then.”

In the meantime, he is hopeful that the Jamaica Boxing Board can get some meaningful fights for him and other Jamaican boxers once the situation allows.

“I've beaten Panama's middleweight and light heavy boxers but, to be truly prepared for the world biggest sporting event, the entire Jamaican boxing team needs more exposure. The Panama event was great, however, we need more fights against different opponents to sharpen our skills,” he said.

Sharpening those skills have also become more challenging with the increasing restrictions being imposed by the government as it seeks to flatten the curve with regards to the spread of the virus. However, he is ready to overcome the challenges that lie before him.

“This pandemic has been a shot to the heart for all sporting events. It has crippled my training and preparation. With all gyms closed and the curfew, it has become hard if not nearly impossible to train,” he said.

“However, I'm extremely determined not to allow this pandemic to divert me from my goal. I still train six times a week because from every disappointment comes an opportunity and when that opportunity comes I won't be caught off guard.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • ISSA tasks coaches with saving 2021 Champs ISSA tasks coaches with saving 2021 Champs

    Jamaica’s Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) has sought consensus and some direction from high school coaches regarding the possibility of staging the popular Boys and Girls Championship next year.

    The event, which is typically staged in the month of March, was cancelled this year due to the credible threat of being a coronavirus super spreader event.  Since then, ISSA has announced the suspension of all school competitions scheduled for the Christmas term.

    With no creditable solutions coming to the fore as yet regarding the best possible ways to returning to the staging of high school sports, amidst the pandemic, concerns had been raised regarding the protentional of next year’s event being cancelled as well.

    In a letter issued to the coaches, ISSA was quick to point out that the December term cancellations had no impact on next year’s event.  But, in light of the need to satisfy restrictive COVID-19 protocols for staging the event, the body also pointed out that creative solutions were needed in order to host the competition.

    “ISSA has cancelled all ISSA competitions scheduled for the 2020 Christmas term.  This decision, however, does not have any impact on the staging of the 2021 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships,” the letter read.

    “However, the national COVID-19 protocols dictate that if Champs 2021 is to be a reality, then adjustments have to be made to the general structure and scheduling of the meet.  These changes could possibly have implications for the number of athletes, classes, events and days of Champs 2021,” it continued.

    “We, therefore, invite each group of regional coaches (as per Regional Meets, Western, Central, Eastern, Corporate) to meet virtually amongst themselves and discuss possible suggestions as to what the 2021 ISSA/GraceKennedy Champs may look like in the context of COVID-19.  It is expected that from the regional discussions, coaches will submit their suggestions via an appointed team leader by email.”

    The coaches will have until October 2, to submit their suggestions.

  • Uncertainty surrounding volleyball restart continues to hurt players Uncertainty surrounding volleyball restart continues to hurt players

     The onslaught of the coronavirus pandemic led to sports coming to a standstill in March.  Since then quite a few have restarted. Horse racing restarted back in June. The first Test cricket match between the West Indies and England began in early July. The Jamaica synchro team started recruiting and training swimmers last month.

    For some, however, the silence surrounding their immediate future is deafening.  And, in the meantime, athletes continue to suffer significant losses from a lack of opportunity.  As of now, volleyball is one of those sports.

    Middle blocker for the Venus Volleyball Club, Rojey Hutchinson, is an athlete who finished university recently and was hoping to gain more from sports competitions right after.

    Hutchinson graduated from the University of Technology (UTech), Jamaica, in late 2019, and secured his diploma in mechanical engineering.

     He attended the university on a volleyball scholarship and has never forgotten that fact. “Volleyball got me where I am today. It gave me the opportunity to travel, experience different cultures, and gave me the opportunity to attend university on a volleyball scholarship,” Hutchinson explained.

     After completing his studies at UTech, Hutchinson looked forward to competing in the Venus International tournament that was scheduled to take place on March 20 – 22. However, due to the onset of the virus, the tournament was cancelled.

     The cancellation of the event that would have featured seven male and eight female teams— from Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago, USA, and Jamaica, adversely affected Hutchinson. Admittedly, he looks forward to the tournament every year and knew he could have readily exploited the opportunities presented to him during this time since school was out of the way.

    He explained, “the Venus International Tournament is something we as volleyballers look forward to every year. We get to meet people and see the way they play volleyball. The tournament is played at a higher level than what we are used to in Jamaica with our local teams.”

    “It helps me to be more selective with my shots and it also helps me to be more disciplined on the court. We are playing against some of the top clubs in countries that are very good at volleyball and some of these guys played in the pro league and also on their national team.”

    The volleyballer, who has been playing with the Venus Volleyball Club for five years, says he hasn’t been training and has “no idea when volleyball will resume.”

    And neither does the Jamaica Volleyball Association (JaVA).

    According to JaVA, they cannot say for sure when volleyball competitions will resume since they’re still having discussions with the Ministry of Sport.

     

    Please share your thoughts on Twitter (@SportsMax_Carib) or in the comments section on Facebook (@SportsMax). Don’t forget to use #IAmNotAFan. Until next time!

     

  • Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice Mbappe available for PSG clash with Nice

    Kylian Mbappe is available to play for Paris Saint-Germain against Nice on Sunday, Thomas Tuchel has confirmed.

    Mbappe has yet to play for PSG in the 2020-21 season after testing positive for coronavirus while on international duty with France.

    However, Tuchel said both Ligue 1 and the club doctor have given clearance for Mbappe to make his first appearance for the club since the Champions League final defeat to Bayern Munich.

    "We need to talk with Kylian. The doctor and the league told us it's possible," he said.

    "I don't know if he can play. We have to wait. He's in the squad. We'll see if he can play.

    "It's between me and Kylian. We're going to talk after practice. I have to see if he's feeling okay and we'll decide if he starts or ends the game."

    PSG will be without defender Juan Bernat for much of the season after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the 1-0 win over Dijon, which marked their first victory of the new campaign.

    However, Tuchel is not looking to purchase a replacement, adding: "Bernat is a key player but we have [Layvin] Kurzawa, [Mitchel] Bakker and [Abdou] Diallo. It is not the priority to buy a player for this position."

    Tuchel is eyeing reinforcements in the transfer window, however, with Thiago Silva having joined Chelsea and Edinson Cavani also leaving the club.

    "It is always the objective to have a group ready to start a championship," said Tuchel. "The priority is clear, we need a striker, a central defender and a midfielder. We must replace the players we lost."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.