Former welterweight world champion Amir Khan ponders retirement

By Sports Desk April 02, 2020

Former welterweight world champion Amir Khan does not know if he will box again.

Khan has twice earned world titles in the 147lbs division and won an Olympics silver medal at Athens 2004 when in the amateur ranks.

The 33-year-old last fought in July 2019 when he defeated Billy Dib in Saudi Arabia, a bout which followed a bizarre TKO defeat to Terence Crawford when he was unable to continue after being caught with an accidental low blow.

It remains to be seen if Khan will step back into the ring, though he said his love for the sport remains.

Speaking to Mirror Sport, he said: "Am I going to fight again? I don't know, I'm in two minds. Should I fight?

"Financially, I've done very well for myself. Do I need to do one more fight which could ruin my whole legacy? I don’t know the answer.

"I'm up against myself. I'm debating with myself should I carry on or call it a day?

"I'm just going to wait and see how I feel after a full training camp. Even if I feel I cannot do it anymore, I can walk away knowing I have done everything.

"My love for boxing is still there and I love boxing to bits. But until I see how I feel after a long, hard, gruelling camp, then I won’t know for sure."

Last year, Khan said that an agreement to fight Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao, a bout he has long-since sought, was reached but a showdown did not come to fruition.

Khan (34-5) added he only wants to get in the ring for the big names.

"I want to be at the top level where I've always fought. That's where I belong and that's how I want people to remember me," he said.

"Win or lose, I've always fought at that top level. I'm only interested in fighting at that level.

"You can make mistakes when you try to carry on for too long and don't call it a day. I'll know myself when it's time to stop."

Related items

  • Cheeseman beats Eggington in Fight Camp barnstormer Cheeseman beats Eggington in Fight Camp barnstormer

    Ted Cheeseman won a dramatic majority decision against British light-middleweight rival Sam Eggington as big-time boxing returned to the United Kingdom in a unique setting on Saturday.

    Seeking a solution to provide a spectacle while fans are still unable to attend sporting events in the UK due to the coronavirus pandemic, Matchroom Boxing chief Eddie Hearn staged the first of four "Fight Camp" events in his childhood back garden.

    The sprawling grounds of Matchroom's headquarters – still home to Hearn's father and company founder Barry Hearn – were the backdrop for this taste of boxing in the COVID-19 age.

    Neil Diamond's hit Sweet Caroline, long established as the singalong anthem for British boxing's signature nights, boomed into the Essex air along with an array of fireworks and pyrotechnics as Cheeseman and Eggington made their way to the ring.

    Master of Ceremonies David Diamante held nothing back during the introductory razzamatazz and the fighters followed suit, with backward steps a rarity during an all-action affair.

    Cheeseman's crisper boxing held sway early on – decisively so as he was given the nod 116-113 (twice) and 115-114 on the scorecards - and a booming counter-right in the second had Eggington (28-7) in trouble.

    But the Birmingham brawler, defending the IBF international light-middleweight belt he won by stunning home favourite Orlando Fiordigiglio in Florence last year, came on strong during the middle rounds, his probing jab and left hook leaving Cheeseman with a bloodied nose.

    Cheeseman (16-2-1) staggered his foe once more in eight but Eggington showed incredible reserves in a toe-to-toe contest and looked close to the stoppage he needed during a thrilling round 12.

    But the Londoner fired back and held on to snap a three-fight winless streak.

    On the undercard, former world-title challenger James Tennyson stopped Gavin Gwynne in six to win the vacant British lightweight title.

    Next week's Fight Camp is headlined by the WBC super-featherweight clash between champion Terri Harper and 2012 Olympian Natasha Jonas, while the series concludes with the heavyweight showdown between Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin on August 22.

  • Joshua will fight anywhere, claims Hearn Joshua will fight anywhere, claims Hearn

    Eddie Hearn says Anthony Joshua will fight in any location, even if it is behind closed doors or at the promoter's home.

    Joshua, who was set to face Kubrat Pulev in June and has also agreed to a two-fight deal with Tyson Fury, has not fought since regaining his WBA, IFB and WBO heavyweight belts from Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia in December.

    Hearn, meanwhile, has constructed a ring in the grounds of his estate in Essex, with the aim for boxing to return from the coronavirus-enforced break with an event called 'Fight Camp'.

    The event is set to start next month, and though Joshua is not currently slated to be involved, Hearn is adamant the 30-year-old is willing to fight anywhere.

    "Joshua would fight here [at Hearn's home], no problem," Hearn told BBC Sport.

    "If we were faced with the option of having no fans for an Anthony Joshua fight, we would still look to go ahead. He's spent a lot of time training out here in this garden so he would have no problem fighting here himself.

    "He was here a couple of weeks ago. He loves to fight, to box and it's not just about fighting in a huge arena – Wembley Stadium, Madison Square Garden – it's about boxing.

    "We want him to be in front of crowds. But for his career, for his development, he needs to fight this year."

    Hearn is also confident Joshua's planned fight with Pulev will go ahead in 2020.

    "Of course fighters want to earn as much money as possible but they also need to develop as fighters and I think the Kubrat Pulev fight is a good, solid, tough fight for him and I am almost certain you will see that fight this year," Hearn added.

    "He wants to improve as a fighter and he will do it anywhere, anytime."

  • Arum hopeful over Crawford v Pacquiao showdown Arum hopeful over Crawford v Pacquiao showdown

    Promoter Bob Arum has revealed a fight between Terence Crawford and Manny Pacquiao could still be on the cards, potentially before the end of 2020.

    A bout between the two has long been talked about but has failed to materialise, though Top Rank boss Arum has raised hopes over what would be a lucrative showdown.

    WBO welterweight champion Crawford plans to be in action before the end of the year after twice defending his title in 2019, recording stoppage victories over Amir Khan and Egidijus Kavaliauskas.

    A unification clash with Pacquiao, who holds the WBA 'Super' title, is a possibility, albeit "nothing is concrete" as negotiations continue amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    "The Pacquiao fight, obviously we'd like to do it," Arum – who promotes Crawford – told BoxingScene.com.

    "Whether we can do it, how we can do it, that's what we're figuring out now.

    "Obviously, if it can happen it'll happen, and if it can't happen, it won't happen. But nothing is concrete on that. We hope we can do it. We're trying, but this is not a usual situation."

    Whether it is Pacquiao next remains to be seen, but Crawford has been told to be ready for action in November.

    Kell Brook, the former IBF champion, has also been rumoured as a potential option for 'Bud', who boasts an unblemished 36-fight record in the paid ranks.

    "We told Terence that he's scheduled to fight in November," Arum added.

    "If it can't be Pacquiao for various reasons, then we'll match him with somebody else. But we told Terence to prepare for mid-November, whether it's November 14 or 21."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.