Khabib ready to fight Mayweather but not for $600m

By Sports Desk March 06, 2020

UFC star Khabib Nurmagomedov said he is ready to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. but dismissed the boxing legend's demand for $600million.

Mayweather (50-0) faced UFC icon Conor McGregor in a blockbuster boxing bout in 2017 and the 43-year-old won in Las Vegas.

The undefeated boxer is ready to step back in the ring, either for a rematch with McGregor or a matchup against unbeaten mixed-martial arts fighter Khabib (28-0), after naming his price.

Khabib was asked about Mayweather's demands after fronting the media for his highly anticipated UFC 249 showdown with Tony Ferguson on April 18, calling for 11 rounds of boxing and one of MMA.

"Who is gonna give him this money? Not me," Russian Khabib told reporters in Las Vegas on Friday.

"Dana isn't going to give him $600m. If you want to fight, we can make a fight like this: 11-round boxing, one round MMA.

"If we can make deal, we can fight… we have option. $100m to fight with him in the middle east.

"I think Mayweather is a very big name. I have big name too and we can fight but we need 11 round box, one round MMA. Let's go, I'm ready."

Khabib and Ferguson (25-3) came together more than a month out from their blockbuster bout in Brooklyn, where the former will put his lightweight belt on the line.

The pair traded verbal jabs before Khabib kicked Ferguson's belt off the stage in a tense moment.

"He is a very good fighter but why people don't like him is because he's stupid," Khabib said. "Nobody understands him, honestly, he looks stupid, that's why nobody likes him. But he's a very good fighter and I respect his skill, that's why he's here."

Ferguson added: "I'm going to hit you so hard in your stomach, you're going to piss f****** blood."

Related items

  • Mets fire GM Porter over claims of unsolicited and explicit texts Mets fire GM Porter over claims of unsolicited and explicit texts

    The New York Mets fired general manager Jared Porter on Tuesday, a day after it was reported he sent unsolicited text messages and lewd images to a female reporter in 2016.

    The Mets hired the 41-year-old Porter only last month, but new team owner Steven Cohen announced his firing on Twitter.

    Cohen wrote: "We have terminated Jared Porter this morning. In my initial press conference I spoke about the importance of integrity and I meant it. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior."

    In response to a question about the firing of Porter, Cohen added: "No action would of set a poor example to the culture I'm trying to build."

    Shortly after Cohen’s tweet, the Mets issued a statement from team president Sandy Alderson.

    It read: "The New York Mets have terminated general manager Jared Porter, effective immediately. Jared's actions, as reflected by events disclosed last night, failed to meet the Mets' standards for professionalism and personal conduct."

    Porter was the Chicago Cubs' director of professional scouting in 2016 when ESPN said he began sending unsolicited and inappropriate text messages and images to the reporter after meeting her in June of that year.

    He has yet to make a public comment on ESPN's allegations.

    Porter spent the next four seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks as their senior vice president and assistant general manager.

  • Khabib considering UFC return but GSP not an option Khabib considering UFC return but GSP not an option

    Khabib Nurmagomedov could be tempted to make a comeback if a lightweight rival impresses him at UFC 257, Dana White has revealed. 

    The undefeated Khabib announced his retirement after beating Justin Gaethje to unify the lightweight division at UFC 254 last year, his first outing since the death of his father and coach Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov.

    However, White raised the prospect that the Russian may return for one more bout - if he likes what he sees out of a potential opponent next week. 

    That includes former foes Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier, who meet in the main event on Fight Island. Dan Hooker and Michael Chandler do battle on the same bill, with the winner potentially coming under consideration. 

    Charles Oliveira is also an option, having apparently grabbed Khabib's attention during his victory over Tony Ferguson at UFC 256 in December. 

    "The thing with him is, when you make the decision to retire, I knew he made the decision under unbelievable emotional stress," White told the media after Max Holloway's victory over Calvin Kattar in Abu Dhabi. 

    "His dad had died, he got hurt during that camp and couldn't train right, couldn't cut weight right. All the things he went through and then he went out and performed how he performed, then made that decision that night.  

    "Listen, you're not tying anything up. Go home, spend some time with your family. Heal up, think about it. 

    "Then he and I got together, and he said: 'I want to see if somebody really blows me away and impresses me next week'. 

    "You've got the co-main event and the main event, while Oliveira looked awesome against Tony Ferguson - that's an interesting fight for him. 

    "We will see what these guys do this weekend. I think it's fun - do you guys not want to see Khabib fight again? Hopefully, he sticks around and does one more." 

    However, White made clear that Georges St-Pierre is not on the shortlist of potential opponents. 

    "No, GSP never came up. He's not interested in that fight and, from what I hear today, neither is GSP. That's over," he said.

  • Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone

    Sergey Kovalev's bout against Bektemir Melikuziev has been cancelled after the former three-time light-heavyweight world champion failed a drugs test.

    Kovalev returned a positive for synthetic testosterone via a test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    The scheduled fight card at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indo, California has been pulled by Golden Boy Promotions as a result.

    A statement released by Golden Boy read: "The Kovalev vs Melikuziev boxing event scheduled for January 30 has been cancelled following a positive test for a banned substance (synthetic testosterone) on behalf of Sergey Kovalev through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    "Upon learning of Kovalev's adverse finding, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) determined that they must cancel the event."

    Kovalev has not fought since losing his WBO light-heavyweight title in an 11th-round knockout defeat to Canelo Alvarez in November 2019, a setback that dropped the 37-year-old's professional record to 34 victories (29 knockouts), four defeats and a solitary draw.

    Counting from his first career loss, when Andre Ward edged a close points verdict against Kovalev in 2016, the Russian has won four and lost four of his past eight fights, with the three subsequent losses all coming by stoppage.

    He was scheduled to box former world title challenger Sullivan Barrera on April 25 last year but the coronavirus pandemic put paid to that, as it did the original plans for the meeting against Uzbekistan's 2016 Olympic bronze medallist Melikuziev (6-0, 5 KOs) to take place in Moscow.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.