UFC

McGregor basks in stunning comeback: Etch my name in history one more time

By Sports Desk January 19, 2020

"Etch my name in history one more time". That was the message from Conor McGregor after returning with a devastating first-round TKO against Donald Cerrone at UFC 246.

McGregor ended his 15-month absence in stunning fashion, needing just 40 seconds to stop Cerrone in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Irish star McGregor (22-4) had not fought in the octagon since his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.

However, former featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor had no trouble at welterweight against veteran Cerrone as he brutally beat the American.

"I like this [welterweight] division," McGregor said in his post-fight interview. "I feel really good.

"But I came out of here unscathed. I'm in shape. We've got work to do to get back to where I was."

Asked about potential next opponent with Jorge Masvidal in the crowd, McGregor said: "Any one of these fools can get it.

"All of them. Every single one. It does not matter."

After striking Cerrone (36-14) with his shoulder, McGregor then delivered a devastating kick to the head before a flurry of punches prompted the referee to stop the welterweight bout and main event.

"I'd never seen anything like that," Cerrone said. "He busted my nose, it started bleeding, and he stepped back and head-kicked me. Oh, man. This happened this fast?"

Related items

  • I'm gonna make it look easy – Adesanya in bullish mood ahead of Costa bout I'm gonna make it look easy – Adesanya in bullish mood ahead of Costa bout

    Israel Adesanya has promised to make his fight with Paulo Costa "look easy" when the pair clash in UFC 253 this weekend.

    Adesanya – who is nicknamed "The Last Stylebender" – is the defending UFC middleweight champion and goes up against Costa on "Fight Island".

    Both fighters are undefeated heading into what has been billed as the fight of 2020, but Adesanya was adamant Costa will prove no match for him.

    "I think the muscles fool everyone. The muscles and the whole flurries and fighting punching bags fool everyone," Adesanya said of Costa at media day.

    "Everyone thinks, wow this is a big fight. I'm like, no, I've already had the fight of the middleweight division, which was Kelvin Gastelum.

    "I've already had the biggest fight in the middleweight division crowd-wise, which was Robert Whittaker. I'm gonna make it look easy. A lot of people are gonna be shocked by that."

    Adesanya and Costa enjoyed a civil meeting in Abu Dhabi, with the duo trading compliments.

    Costa acknowledged his surprise at Adesanya's change in demeanour during the meeting.

    "I don't know what happened, he changed his personality a lot, his persona," Costa told MMA Mania. 

    "The Adesanya that I saw on the video conference was a very disrespectful guy, he showed his fingers a lot to me. But when I met him upstairs, he was very kind, very gentle."

    However, neither fighter held back in their verbal insults during media day, with Adesanya going as far as to tell Costa: "Shut the f*** up before I become your stepdad."

  • Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley

    Colby Covington beat Tyron Woodley by TKO before taking a call from United States president Donald Trump on Saturday.

    Covington dominated Woodley in Las Vegas before a rib injury ended the fight in the fifth round.

    The 32-year-old Covington attended a Trump rally last week and he received a call from the president after his win over Woodley.

    "You are a great fighter man, I tell you, you make it so easy, I don't know how the hell you do that," Trump said in the call, which took place during Covington's interview on ESPN.

    "Congratulations, I wanted to watch that fight tonight, I wanted to watch it, you were great."

    Former interim welterweight champion Covington improved his record to 16-2 in his first fight since December last year, when he lost to Kamaru Usman for the title at UFC 245.

  • UFC's White working on 'fun stuff' amid talk of McGregor comeback UFC's White working on 'fun stuff' amid talk of McGregor comeback

    UFC president Dana White said he is working on some "fun stuff" for Irish star Conor McGregor as he hinted at a possible comeback next year.

    McGregor announced his decision to retire in June, having returned to the Octagon in January after a 15-month absence and knocked out Donald Cerrone at welterweight in just 40 seconds.

    Former featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor had been planning to fight three times in 2020, however, the coronavirus pandemic scuppered that strategy.

    White previously said no bout was planned for McGregor in 2021 but he told ESPN's SportsCenter on Thursday: "We're actually working on some fun stuff for Conor at the beginning of next year.

    "He should be back next year. I'm not saying he's coming back to fight, guaranteed, but we're talking right now about some stuff."

    The 32-year-old McGregor boasts a 22-4 record, which includes wins over Eddie Alvarez, Nate Diaz and Jose Aldo, though he lost a blockbuster showdown to unbeaten Russian rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.

    McGregor's agent Audie Attar added to ESPN: "We had some very interesting talks with the UFC recently. We are excited about the future and working on some fun things. Exciting things to come in the near future."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.