UFC

Mayweather v McGregor II – Floyd suggests 2020 rematch

By Sports Desk January 19, 2020

Boxing great Floyd Mayweather Jr. seemed to announce a rematch with Conor McGregor after the Irish star's devastating return to UFC.

McGregor needed just 40 seconds to stop Donald Cerrone via a brutal TKO at UFC 246 in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Making his long-awaited comeback after a 15-month absence since his submission loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov, McGregor quickly disposed over Cerrone as he reminded the world of his skills in the octagon.

After McGregor's exploits, legendary fighter Mayweather teased a second blockbuster bout via social media.

Mayweather stopped McGregor in the 10th round when the UFC superstar made his professional boxing debut in August 2017.

In an Instagram post, Mayweather uploaded a picture titled "Mayweather McGregor 2, 2020".

The unbeaten Mayweather retired for the third time after that bout almost three years ago, but announced last November that the 42-year-old would resume his career yet again in 2020 for a "spectacular event".

Related items

  • McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao

    Conor McGregor claimed he was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East in his next outing.

    McGregor, a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, sensationally retired in June, but it was hinted earlier this month that the Irishman would return next year.

    After a long Twitter rant during which he vented his frustration at a lack of action this year – his only fight has been a win over Donald Cerrone in January – McGregor said he was set for a return to boxing.

    McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017 and is now set to meet 41-year-old Filipino Pacquiao.

    "I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East," he wrote.

    "It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • I'm gonna make it look easy – Adesanya in bullish mood ahead of Costa bout I'm gonna make it look easy – Adesanya in bullish mood ahead of Costa bout

    Israel Adesanya has promised to make his fight with Paulo Costa "look easy" when the pair clash in UFC 253 this weekend.

    Adesanya – who is nicknamed "The Last Stylebender" – is the defending UFC middleweight champion and goes up against Costa on "Fight Island".

    Both fighters are undefeated heading into what has been billed as the fight of 2020, but Adesanya was adamant Costa will prove no match for him.

    "I think the muscles fool everyone. The muscles and the whole flurries and fighting punching bags fool everyone," Adesanya said of Costa at media day.

    "Everyone thinks, wow this is a big fight. I'm like, no, I've already had the fight of the middleweight division, which was Kelvin Gastelum.

    "I've already had the biggest fight in the middleweight division crowd-wise, which was Robert Whittaker. I'm gonna make it look easy. A lot of people are gonna be shocked by that."

    Adesanya and Costa enjoyed a civil meeting in Abu Dhabi, with the duo trading compliments.

    Costa acknowledged his surprise at Adesanya's change in demeanour during the meeting.

    "I don't know what happened, he changed his personality a lot, his persona," Costa told MMA Mania. 

    "The Adesanya that I saw on the video conference was a very disrespectful guy, he showed his fingers a lot to me. But when I met him upstairs, he was very kind, very gentle."

    However, neither fighter held back in their verbal insults during media day, with Adesanya going as far as to tell Costa: "Shut the f*** up before I become your stepdad."

  • Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley

    Colby Covington beat Tyron Woodley by TKO before taking a call from United States president Donald Trump on Saturday.

    Covington dominated Woodley in Las Vegas before a rib injury ended the fight in the fifth round.

    The 32-year-old Covington attended a Trump rally last week and he received a call from the president after his win over Woodley.

    "You are a great fighter man, I tell you, you make it so easy, I don't know how the hell you do that," Trump said in the call, which took place during Covington's interview on ESPN.

    "Congratulations, I wanted to watch that fight tonight, I wanted to watch it, you were great."

    Former interim welterweight champion Covington improved his record to 16-2 in his first fight since December last year, when he lost to Kamaru Usman for the title at UFC 245.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.