Anthony Joshua talks rubbish - Dillian Whyte slams rival for Tyson Fury sparring saga

By Sports Desk January 15, 2020

Dillian Whyte believes Anthony Joshua's exchanges with Tyson Fury over sparring prove he "just talks rubbish".

In a detailed critique, heavyweight contender Whyte hit out at WBA, IBF and WBO champion Joshua, saying he is a changed fighter who has lost his aggressiveness.

Whyte believes his fellow Briton, with whom he shares a promoter in Eddie Hearn, always backtracks after making comments in the same way Fury and Deontay Wilder do.

He cited the example of Joshua's recent exchanges with Fury, offering to help him with sparring sessions ahead of his WBC title rematch with Wilder next month.

Whyte told Sky Sports of Joshua: "He's a good fighter and a good champion, but he talks a lot of rubbish most of the time.

"Him, Wilder, Fury, they all talk the same rubbish. He says one thing and then he backtracks and says another thing. At least I'm consistent with what I say, and I do what I say.

"One minute he says, 'I'm going to spar with Fury' and then the next minute he says, 'If it works in my schedule'. When Fury said, 'Yes, if it works in my schedule'. He just talks rubbish, man.

"I'm here, I'm ready to fight, if he [Joshua] wants to fight me, the fight can happen."

Whyte, who has been touted for a fight with Russian Alexander Povetkin, has not been impressed by the evolution of a man who knocked him out after seven rounds of their domestic grudge match in December 2015.

He believes Joshua will be forever marked by his initial loss to Andy Ruiz Jr. in June 2019, but feels signs of a more conservative approach were already apparent before his two contests with the Mexican.

"We've seen this before - Lennox Lewis was an aggressive fighter on the front foot but got knocked out by Hasim Rahman, then changed his style," added Whyte.

"Joshua will be the same. Tall heavyweights start their careers very aggressively, but then?

"Let's go further back - Carlos Takam, Alexander Povetkin, Joseph Parker. There were signs of caginess and not liking getting hit.

"Even Deontay Wilder, when he was clocked a couple of times by Luis Ortiz, he thought 'I'm just going to wait'.

"We have seen this time and time again in history, and it's always the same."

After winning his titles back against Ruiz in December, Joshua looks poised to defend his belts against IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev next as Whyte's wait for a title shot goes on.

Related items

  • McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao

    Conor McGregor claimed he was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East in his next outing.

    McGregor, a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, sensationally retired in June, but it was hinted earlier this month that the Irishman would return next year.

    After a long Twitter rant during which he vented his frustration at a lack of action this year – his only fight has been a win over Donald Cerrone in January – McGregor said he was set for a return to boxing.

    McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017 and is now set to meet 41-year-old Filipino Pacquiao.

    "I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East," he wrote.

    "It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21 Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21

    Anthony Joshua has made the move from boxing to football, at least in the virtual world, after it was confirmed he will appear in FIFA 21.

    Joshua will be a playable character in the video game's "Volta" mode – in which players are able to test their skills in a small-sided game with five-a-side rules.

    Olympic gold medallist and world heavyweight champion Joshua is being introduced as a "Groundbreaker", alongside Kaka, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Atletico Madrid youngster Joao Felix and FIFA 21 cover star Kylian Mbappe.

    Diplo, a three-time Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer, also features.

    Players will be able to pit their wits against the Groundbreakers, while also being able to recruit them into their squads.

  • Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31 Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31

    The heavyweight fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora has been rearranged for October 31.

    The pair were initially set to meet on May 23, but the coronavirus pandemic saw the bout at The O2 Arena in London postponed.

    Former undisputed cruiserweight world champion Usyk (17-0) has been made to wait for his second heavyweight test, having stopped unheralded American Chazz Witherspoon on his debut last October.

    The Chisora fight will go ahead just over a year on from that contest, however, after an agreement was announced on Wednesday.

    "I have really missed boxing," Usyk said. "I am working hard in my training camp to show a spectacular performance on October 31.

    "I expect a real test in Dereck - he is strong, tough and resilient. He is a really big guy and he hits hard.

    "As a cruiserweight, I reached the highest heights as undisputed champion and now I am following the same path as a heavyweight.

    "I need to test myself against world-class heavyweights on my new road to undisputed and Dereck stands in front of me.

    "Many people say that Dereck is a monster, but deep down he is a kind man. I don't expect to see that good side of him.

    "I know that he wants to break me, but I am water, wind and fire all together. Dereck Chisora, I am coming for you."

    Chisora (32-9) added: "Usyk, I've been ready for you all year.

    "It's my home turf and, after such a tough year for everyone, I'm going to give the British public the Halloween party they deserve and finally get revenge for my boy Tony Bellew."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.