Conor McGregor was downing whiskey 'all bleeding week' before loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov

By Sports Desk January 14, 2020

Conor McGregor has admitted his preparation for fighting Khabib Nurmagomedov in his last UFC outing was far from ideal given he spent "all bleeding week" downing shots of whiskey.

The Irishman fell to a convincing submission defeat against the Russian in the fourth round of their October 2018 battle in the Octagon at UFC 229, a contest that was followed by a controversial brawl.

But ahead of his comeback against Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone in Las Vegas on Saturday, McGregor acknowledged he had enjoyed himself a little too much in the build-up to the Khabib bout, as well as taking part in a reckless sparring routine.

"I was drinking all bleeding fight week in the last one," McGregor told ESPN. 

"Yes [it was before the fight]. It [drinking in fight week] had not been [common] to that extent before. I had venom in me or something. I don't know why.

"I was almost too intense and too serious, working too hard in the gym and then not working hard enough outside of it. You've got to be focused outside. 

"You're not as sharp, not as fresh, not as eager to be there [at the gym]. That kept happening, I wouldn't want to be there, then I'd have to scrap, and then off I'd go again. 

"You learn something from everything, some of the work was great. Some parts of it were enjoyable, I do love a good scrap, I've just got to stay focused outside the gym."

Pressed further on his preparation, the 31-year-old added: "I had people holed up in a hotel and I would ring and arrange a fight, they would come to the gym and have a full-blown fight with no headguards.

"I'd have a war, win and knock the guy out and go off and celebrate and come back in three days.

"I wasn't doing what I should have been doing or living the life I should have been living; I've made mistakes and I've been man enough to admit them and correct them."

On Khabib, who has said McGregor needs a long run of wins before being worthy of a second bout, the Dubliner added: "He has fear, he doesn't want [the rematch]. It did get very personal. Some of the things were maybe too far but it's the fight business."

McGregor has also lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr in a lucrative boxing match since his last victory, which came at UFC 205 against Eddie Alvarez more than three years ago.

Punching a 50-year-old man in a pub last year led to a court appearance and a fine but McGregor says he has turned his life around.

He added: "If I'm in the wrong, I'm in the wrong. I let people down and that's it. I'm in a position where I must take control of things and not shy away.

"I've never done that in my career and I never will; the people who believe in me and support me deserve better. It's been a good couple of months, three or four months ago [since I had a drink]. 

"I might not be perfect, but with a good sleep and a full belly I'm damn close."

Related items

  • I'm gonna make it look easy – Adesanya in bullish mood ahead of Costa bout I'm gonna make it look easy – Adesanya in bullish mood ahead of Costa bout

    Israel Adesanya has promised to make his fight with Paulo Costa "look easy" when the pair clash in UFC 253 this weekend.

    Adesanya – who is nicknamed "The Last Stylebender" – is the defending UFC middleweight champion and goes up against Costa on "Fight Island".

    Both fighters are undefeated heading into what has been billed as the fight of 2020, but Adesanya was adamant Costa will prove no match for him.

    "I think the muscles fool everyone. The muscles and the whole flurries and fighting punching bags fool everyone," Adesanya said of Costa at media day.

    "Everyone thinks, wow this is a big fight. I'm like, no, I've already had the fight of the middleweight division, which was Kelvin Gastelum.

    "I've already had the biggest fight in the middleweight division crowd-wise, which was Robert Whittaker. I'm gonna make it look easy. A lot of people are gonna be shocked by that."

    Adesanya and Costa enjoyed a civil meeting in Abu Dhabi, with the duo trading compliments.

    Costa acknowledged his surprise at Adesanya's change in demeanour during the meeting.

    "I don't know what happened, he changed his personality a lot, his persona," Costa told MMA Mania. 

    "The Adesanya that I saw on the video conference was a very disrespectful guy, he showed his fingers a lot to me. But when I met him upstairs, he was very kind, very gentle."

    However, neither fighter held back in their verbal insults during media day, with Adesanya going as far as to tell Costa: "Shut the f*** up before I become your stepdad."

  • Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley

    Colby Covington beat Tyron Woodley by TKO before taking a call from United States president Donald Trump on Saturday.

    Covington dominated Woodley in Las Vegas before a rib injury ended the fight in the fifth round.

    The 32-year-old Covington attended a Trump rally last week and he received a call from the president after his win over Woodley.

    "You are a great fighter man, I tell you, you make it so easy, I don't know how the hell you do that," Trump said in the call, which took place during Covington's interview on ESPN.

    "Congratulations, I wanted to watch that fight tonight, I wanted to watch it, you were great."

    Former interim welterweight champion Covington improved his record to 16-2 in his first fight since December last year, when he lost to Kamaru Usman for the title at UFC 245.

  • UFC's White working on 'fun stuff' amid talk of McGregor comeback UFC's White working on 'fun stuff' amid talk of McGregor comeback

    UFC president Dana White said he is working on some "fun stuff" for Irish star Conor McGregor as he hinted at a possible comeback next year.

    McGregor announced his decision to retire in June, having returned to the Octagon in January after a 15-month absence and knocked out Donald Cerrone at welterweight in just 40 seconds.

    Former featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor had been planning to fight three times in 2020, however, the coronavirus pandemic scuppered that strategy.

    White previously said no bout was planned for McGregor in 2021 but he told ESPN's SportsCenter on Thursday: "We're actually working on some fun stuff for Conor at the beginning of next year.

    "He should be back next year. I'm not saying he's coming back to fight, guaranteed, but we're talking right now about some stuff."

    The 32-year-old McGregor boasts a 22-4 record, which includes wins over Eddie Alvarez, Nate Diaz and Jose Aldo, though he lost a blockbuster showdown to unbeaten Russian rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.

    McGregor's agent Audie Attar added to ESPN: "We had some very interesting talks with the UFC recently. We are excited about the future and working on some fun things. Exciting things to come in the near future."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.