Whyte eyes Povetkin 'tear-up'

By Sports Desk January 08, 2020

Dillian Whyte wants a "tear-up" with Alexander Povetkin for his next fight and says he will not be waste his time waiting for a WBC title shot. 

Wilder had his suspension lifted by the WBC last month after UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) dropped charges against the British heavyweight.

The 31-year-old was cleared by after initially being charged for testing positive for a banned substance, but has now had his mandatory challenger status reinstated.

Whyte will be due a title shot around February 2021, but claims champion Deontay Wilder does not want to fight him, so the man nicknamed 'The Body Snatcher' has turned his attention on Russian veteran Povetkin.

The Londoner told Sky Sports: "He [Whyte's promoter Eddie Hearn] mentioned April 18 in an interview, so I guess that's the date.

"Probably in London or Manchester, something like that. The O2 gets booked up a lot, so either London or Manchester. They are two good venues and it would be good to move to a different part of the country some time as well. Manchester Arena would be good."

Whyte added on a potential bout with Povetkin: "If he wants it, he can get it. It's going to be a tear-up, because he is not really a mover and I'm not really a mover, so he's a come forward fighter and I come forward.

"We're going to have a scrap. Povetkin comes to fight doesn't he. He doesn't come to mess about. I'm the same, so let's get it.

"Let's see who has got the best left hook around."

Related items

  • McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao

    Conor McGregor claimed he was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East in his next outing.

    McGregor, a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, sensationally retired in June, but it was hinted earlier this month that the Irishman would return next year.

    After a long Twitter rant during which he vented his frustration at a lack of action this year – his only fight has been a win over Donald Cerrone in January – McGregor said he was set for a return to boxing.

    McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017 and is now set to meet 41-year-old Filipino Pacquiao.

    "I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East," he wrote.

    "It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21 Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21

    Anthony Joshua has made the move from boxing to football, at least in the virtual world, after it was confirmed he will appear in FIFA 21.

    Joshua will be a playable character in the video game's "Volta" mode – in which players are able to test their skills in a small-sided game with five-a-side rules.

    Olympic gold medallist and world heavyweight champion Joshua is being introduced as a "Groundbreaker", alongside Kaka, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Atletico Madrid youngster Joao Felix and FIFA 21 cover star Kylian Mbappe.

    Diplo, a three-time Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer, also features.

    Players will be able to pit their wits against the Groundbreakers, while also being able to recruit them into their squads.

  • Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31 Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31

    The heavyweight fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora has been rearranged for October 31.

    The pair were initially set to meet on May 23, but the coronavirus pandemic saw the bout at The O2 Arena in London postponed.

    Former undisputed cruiserweight world champion Usyk (17-0) has been made to wait for his second heavyweight test, having stopped unheralded American Chazz Witherspoon on his debut last October.

    The Chisora fight will go ahead just over a year on from that contest, however, after an agreement was announced on Wednesday.

    "I have really missed boxing," Usyk said. "I am working hard in my training camp to show a spectacular performance on October 31.

    "I expect a real test in Dereck - he is strong, tough and resilient. He is a really big guy and he hits hard.

    "As a cruiserweight, I reached the highest heights as undisputed champion and now I am following the same path as a heavyweight.

    "I need to test myself against world-class heavyweights on my new road to undisputed and Dereck stands in front of me.

    "Many people say that Dereck is a monster, but deep down he is a kind man. I don't expect to see that good side of him.

    "I know that he wants to break me, but I am water, wind and fire all together. Dereck Chisora, I am coming for you."

    Chisora (32-9) added: "Usyk, I've been ready for you all year.

    "It's my home turf and, after such a tough year for everyone, I'm going to give the British public the Halloween party they deserve and finally get revenge for my boy Tony Bellew."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.