Gamboa: I fought 10 rounds against Davis with ruptured Achilles

By Sports Desk December 29, 2019

Yuriorkis Gamboa revealed he fought 10 rounds against Gervonta Davis on Saturday with a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Gamboa was eventually beaten in the 12th round, the referee waving off the contest after the 38-year-old Cuban had been felled for a third time.

However, the veteran duly revealed he had been severely hampered by a serious injury sustained early in the contest.

"I think I ruptured my Achilles tendon before I fell in the second round," Gamboa was quoted as saying by Boxing Scene, with ESPN reporting that post-fight examinations had confirmed that diagnosis.

"I'm a warrior and I kept going, but as soon as I felt it I knew it was ruptured. I couldn't put pressure on it.

"I wanted to keep going. I told my corner it was a problem, but I wanted to keep going because I'm a warrior. I'm going to keep going - 135 is my weight, I want to stay there."

Victory for Davis (23-0) earned him the WBA's lightweight belt, although Vasyl Lomachenko remains the organisation's 'super' champion.

After taking time to overcome his injured opponent, Davis told a news conference: "I'm happy with my performance. I'm only 25 years old, so I'm learning. 2020 will be a big year for me.

"I had him hurt throughout the fight, but he showed he was a tough opponent. I knew he was hurt and he was wobbling, but somehow he was still moving his head - that's how I knew I wasn't in the ring with no regular guy, I was in there with someone with top experience."

Davis, who was called out by Devin Haney, said he was willing to fight any opponent at 135 or 130lb.

Asked if he felt he had moved closer to a potential meeting with Lomachenko, he added: "Saying it's moved me closer to that fight is like he's above me. I don't feel like anybody is above me.

"I'm the cash cow, I believe so, at 135 or 130. I'm selling out rings, I'm putting butts on the seats - I don't think he [Lomachenko] is doing that. So, line 'em up. I'm willing to fight anybody. I'm ready for them all."

Related items

  • McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao

    Conor McGregor claimed he was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East in his next outing.

    McGregor, a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, sensationally retired in June, but it was hinted earlier this month that the Irishman would return next year.

    After a long Twitter rant during which he vented his frustration at a lack of action this year – his only fight has been a win over Donald Cerrone in January – McGregor said he was set for a return to boxing.

    McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017 and is now set to meet 41-year-old Filipino Pacquiao.

    "I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East," he wrote.

    "It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21 Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21

    Anthony Joshua has made the move from boxing to football, at least in the virtual world, after it was confirmed he will appear in FIFA 21.

    Joshua will be a playable character in the video game's "Volta" mode – in which players are able to test their skills in a small-sided game with five-a-side rules.

    Olympic gold medallist and world heavyweight champion Joshua is being introduced as a "Groundbreaker", alongside Kaka, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Atletico Madrid youngster Joao Felix and FIFA 21 cover star Kylian Mbappe.

    Diplo, a three-time Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer, also features.

    Players will be able to pit their wits against the Groundbreakers, while also being able to recruit them into their squads.

  • Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31 Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31

    The heavyweight fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora has been rearranged for October 31.

    The pair were initially set to meet on May 23, but the coronavirus pandemic saw the bout at The O2 Arena in London postponed.

    Former undisputed cruiserweight world champion Usyk (17-0) has been made to wait for his second heavyweight test, having stopped unheralded American Chazz Witherspoon on his debut last October.

    The Chisora fight will go ahead just over a year on from that contest, however, after an agreement was announced on Wednesday.

    "I have really missed boxing," Usyk said. "I am working hard in my training camp to show a spectacular performance on October 31.

    "I expect a real test in Dereck - he is strong, tough and resilient. He is a really big guy and he hits hard.

    "As a cruiserweight, I reached the highest heights as undisputed champion and now I am following the same path as a heavyweight.

    "I need to test myself against world-class heavyweights on my new road to undisputed and Dereck stands in front of me.

    "Many people say that Dereck is a monster, but deep down he is a kind man. I don't expect to see that good side of him.

    "I know that he wants to break me, but I am water, wind and fire all together. Dereck Chisora, I am coming for you."

    Chisora (32-9) added: "Usyk, I've been ready for you all year.

    "It's my home turf and, after such a tough year for everyone, I'm going to give the British public the Halloween party they deserve and finally get revenge for my boy Tony Bellew."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.