Fury says 'real champion will be crowned' and explains 'stale' trainer switch

By Sports Desk December 28, 2019

Tyson Fury believes his rematch against Deontay Wilder on February 22 will see "the real champion" crowned when he defeats the American.

The WBC heavyweight title will be on the line as Fury and Wilder, who fought to a thrilling draw in December 2018, do battle at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"There's no more ducking and diving," Fury told reporters. "The date has been set, and the 'Bomb Squad' is about to be securely detonated and the real champion crowned as the world watches on for the most anticipated fight in years.

"This is unfinished business for me, but come February 22, this dosser will finally get what's coming to him, and I can't wait!"

Fury also explained his somewhat surprising decision to split with long-serving trainer Ben Davison in the build-up to the fight, saying their work had gone "stale".

SugarHill Steward will instead train Fury in a match against a fellow undefeated fighter in Wilder.

"We're gonna go back to basics," Fury said on ESPN's College Game Day.

"I trained with SugarHill Steward back in 2010, we got on like a house on fire.

"I was going a little bit stale, repetitive, doing the same things day in, day out for years. I needed a change."

Wilder insists it is he who will end any doubt over who is the better fighter.

"I proved myself the first time and I'm ready to do it again," the WBC champion said. 

"It was a very controversial fight. I promise my fans that there won't be any controversy with this one. I'm going to finish it.

"I'm happy and I'm excited that the rematch is finally happening. I want to give the fans what they want to see. I've been doing it with my last three outings – Fury, Dominic Breazeale and Luis Ortiz. 

"They've been spectacular events – from my ring walks where I gather all the energy of the people, to my uniforms that I wear to help spread that energy. 

"Then I give them what they all come for – the knockouts, and my knockouts have been amazing."

Related items

  • McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao

    Conor McGregor claimed he was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East in his next outing.

    McGregor, a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, sensationally retired in June, but it was hinted earlier this month that the Irishman would return next year.

    After a long Twitter rant during which he vented his frustration at a lack of action this year – his only fight has been a win over Donald Cerrone in January – McGregor said he was set for a return to boxing.

    McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017 and is now set to meet 41-year-old Filipino Pacquiao.

    "I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East," he wrote.

    "It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21 Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21

    Anthony Joshua has made the move from boxing to football, at least in the virtual world, after it was confirmed he will appear in FIFA 21.

    Joshua will be a playable character in the video game's "Volta" mode – in which players are able to test their skills in a small-sided game with five-a-side rules.

    Olympic gold medallist and world heavyweight champion Joshua is being introduced as a "Groundbreaker", alongside Kaka, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Atletico Madrid youngster Joao Felix and FIFA 21 cover star Kylian Mbappe.

    Diplo, a three-time Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer, also features.

    Players will be able to pit their wits against the Groundbreakers, while also being able to recruit them into their squads.

  • Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31 Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31

    The heavyweight fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora has been rearranged for October 31.

    The pair were initially set to meet on May 23, but the coronavirus pandemic saw the bout at The O2 Arena in London postponed.

    Former undisputed cruiserweight world champion Usyk (17-0) has been made to wait for his second heavyweight test, having stopped unheralded American Chazz Witherspoon on his debut last October.

    The Chisora fight will go ahead just over a year on from that contest, however, after an agreement was announced on Wednesday.

    "I have really missed boxing," Usyk said. "I am working hard in my training camp to show a spectacular performance on October 31.

    "I expect a real test in Dereck - he is strong, tough and resilient. He is a really big guy and he hits hard.

    "As a cruiserweight, I reached the highest heights as undisputed champion and now I am following the same path as a heavyweight.

    "I need to test myself against world-class heavyweights on my new road to undisputed and Dereck stands in front of me.

    "Many people say that Dereck is a monster, but deep down he is a kind man. I don't expect to see that good side of him.

    "I know that he wants to break me, but I am water, wind and fire all together. Dereck Chisora, I am coming for you."

    Chisora (32-9) added: "Usyk, I've been ready for you all year.

    "It's my home turf and, after such a tough year for everyone, I'm going to give the British public the Halloween party they deserve and finally get revenge for my boy Tony Bellew."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.